• Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

what to do

What are yawl doing w/ your dresses?
Are you storing them?  HOW?
Are you donating them?  WHERE?

Mine has been hanging on the back of our bedroom door since we got back from the honeymoon...I don't have a clue as to what to do with it!  I did research FOR the wedding not for anything afterwards, haha!  :-/
image Anniversary

Re: what to do

• I told DH that I wanted to shorten mine and dye it so I could wear it again...he was not happy with the idea, he wants me to preserve it.  I need to get mine dry cleaned, the bottom is so filthy.  I don't know if I will preserve it or just keep it in the bag and in my closet. 

Perhaps in a few years I will want to donate it, but I LOVE my dress and I want to keep it.  I want to wear it every weekend and do chores around the house in it!
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • I haven't really thought about this. I know I need to get it dry cleaned but for now, it's at my parents and until mama says something, it's staying there until I can afford the dry cleaning bill and then it will get preserved.

[url=http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thenest.com/tickers/ttb3b0e.aspx[/img][/url]
  • I had my dress made with the intention that it be something I could wear again, but now that I see how it turned out, I'm not sure that's possible.  I love my dress so much I don't want to see it go.  And as casual as it is, I'm not sure I'd find anyone else who would want it.  For now, it's in my closet until I decide.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • hanging in my closet in the bag it came in.  not likely going to be cleaned.  only keeping it in case we have a daughter some day who wants to use it for dress up.
  • edited October 2010
    Mine is just hanging in my closet. I don't think I could bear to sell it, or give it away. I'll probably save it for the memory, or on the whim that my daughter is my size or smaller and wants to wear it one day. :) I always wished I could've worn my mother's dress.
  • I still haven't done my TTD session. After that I'll see if it is in good enough shape to sell or donate. If it isn't, I have no clue what to do with it. It's huge, I can't imagine storing it anywhere.
  • I finally took mine to the dry cleaner the other day.  Said it should cost $70.  I am wearing it again in a month for a photo re-shoot/trash the dress, then I'll take it to bridal shop & have it cleaned/preserved for our daughter...IF she chooses to marry & wear it.  I imagine it will be outdated by then but figure that's what DH would want me to do.
    Boyd & Jen 9.17.10
  • Mine is hanging in the bag it came in in the back of my closet, one day I'll get around to getting it cleaned and preserved, so I can save it.

BFP #1 3/27/07-M/C 8weeks 5/3/07 "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away." 1/16/13:7dpo Progesterone blood draw, low progesterone/weak ovulation, 50mg Clomid CD5-9 Baseline u/s on 2/4 showed I ovulated about an hour before my appointment! IUI #1+trigger=BFP!!! BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine is in the bag it came in. We have no room for it. DH doesnt want me to sell it but I dont really want to keep it. Lol. Not sure what I will do with it.
  • Looks like I'm in the minority on this one - I'm donating mine to Brides Against Breast Cancer. I really loved my dress and the idea of it hanging in a closet with a 99% chance of never being worn again makes me sad. I love the idea of saving it for a daughter one day, but I'm sure it won't be in style by then and she would prefer to find her own perfect dress.

If anyone else is thinking about donating their dress think about doing it sooner rather than later. The longer you wait the less current and fashionable it will be for someone else.
  • I agree CtMiller.  It always makes me laugh when I see those dresses in the windows at the Goodwill. 

I never wanted to keep mine.  So I am hoping I can get up the courage to donate it or sell it in the next couple months. I think I will just wait until my pro pictures come back, just in case.   I'm weirdly attached to it but I don't want it to be the ugly dress in the window at Salvation Army.  I'd prefer someone else be able to enjoy it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards