Moms and Maids
Options

Black bridesmaid dresses?

Is anyone having their bridesmaids wear black dresses? We picked out black dresses yesterday and they are gorgeous, and I'm hoping this was a good idea. I went in thinking I was going to do a charcoaly-purple color (it's called Wisteria in one of the designers we liked), but found myself gravitating towards the black ones even knowing that any dress could be made in any color. I just really like the look. 

If you are having black BM dresses, what are you doing to bring some color in? I am having pretty bright flowers, but am considering having them wear a brightly-colored shoe or jewelry.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search function on theknot isn't great. It was bringing up anything that had the word "black" or "bridesmaid" or dresses" instead of "black bridesmaid dresses".

Re: Black bridesmaid dresses?

• Options
    One of my former students is having black bridesmaids dresses, and I wore a black dress when one of my bridesmaids got married. Both brides did red and white flowers. 

If you have them wear colored shoes or jewelry, you need to pay for that.  I would personally just let them wear black shoes and whatever jewelry they want. Whatever your flowers are will be enough color. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Black bridesmaid dresses?:[QUOTE];If you have them wear colored shoes or jewelry, you need to pay for that. nbsp;I would personally just let them wear black shoes and whatever jewelry they want. Whatever your flowers are will be enough color.nbsp; Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm aware I would be responsible for that. Knowing that, would you recommend a bright colored shoe to go with one of my wedding flower colors?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_black-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:c40bba4e-903e-4b8d-95d0-3dce3969ded0Post:b5748e5a-905f-4300-80c8-2d099495dfa1">Re:Black bridesmaid dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Black bridesmaid dresses?: Yes, I'm aware I would be responsible for that. Knowing that, would you recommend a bright colored shoe to go with one of my wedding flower colors?
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

Depending on the color of the shoe, having a pop of color could be whimsical and playful.

We were going to have black BMs dresses and changed the color last minute because my H's family believes wearing all black to a wedding is bad luck.

I think if you are having an evening reception/indoor reception, black is fine. I do think having black dresses for an early reception/ceremony and/or outdoor ceremony looks a bit dowdy, but that's just MHO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    H's cousin had black bridesmaid dresses and I thought it looked super classy. Her colors were black and white though, so the only thing she really did to bring in color was have her bridesmaids carry lavender roses, which looked really nice with the black.
  • Options
    I love the black bm dress look. Especially with a bright colored shoe and flowers. I would just let them wear whatever they want for jewelry bc no one will notice it anyway. But I think it's a great idea. My original colors were two shades of purple and I wanted to switch to black but all of my girls vetoed that idea so we stuck with the purple.
  • Options
    I agree that a bright colored shoe could really make it pop; especially if they're short dresses (if they're long no one will really notice).  Otherwise you could do shawls or sashes to bring in more color, but bright flowers would do the job just fine.
  • Options
    Mandaw0515Mandaw0515 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    My wedding colors are Black and White. Bridesmaids wearing black dress with black shoes any style. Im buying them all white and black pearl necklace and earings. For the pop of color I added red roses to the flower arrangments, so the bouquets will have White roses, white lillies, white calla lillies, red roses and black foliage. My dress is white with Black trim in it. 
  • Options
    I am having long black BM dresses. For the 'pop of color' I am using pink flowers in the bouquets. 
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We wore black bridesmaid dresses in my friends wedding-- they looked classy and its the one BM dress I actually got use of after the wedding.  

Black was not my particular wedding style and would not go with my decor, but I am definitely all for black dresses if it matches your color scheme.

Anniversary
  • Options
    My cousin is having black/red/white as her colors. She plans to have us BMs wear black dresses with red sashes and red shoes. Sounds like her GMs will wear black suits/vests/shirts with a red tie and pocket square too.
  • Options

My daughter also used shades of pink and a small pattern to break up the black.  She really wanted her friends to make use of their dresses, so having them wear a LBD of their choice was the logical solution.  
  • Options
    I am having black BM dresses they will carry hot pink roses and wear black shoes.
    The tux's are black and white with a hot pink rose as well.
    My center pieces I made using wine bottles spray painting some black and some white w/ glitter sprinkled on them and I'll add fake hot pink roses and silver ting ting in them with candles around.
    My shoes are hot pink as well :) cant wait! 63 more days...
  • Options
    I am having black bridesmaid dresses. I am only having 2 maids so I am letting my MOH wear a dress she already has, and then going with my lil sis to pick something that goes with that (unless she already has one that will not clash).  I am having red flowers and letting them wear their own shoes and jewelry.  Id rather them be comfortable and look like themselves then look like little clones. I think the "no black at weddings" saying is dated. good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_black-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:c40bba4e-903e-4b8d-95d0-3dce3969ded0Post:3b24cc9a-c046-4aff-a452-e15f8f6a66be">Re: Black bridesmaid dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]tmw, I love that color combination.  That will look great!
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I can't wait to see it all put together :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards