North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

beach ceremony.. 108 reception...

Hi all!!  I am renting a vacation home in Kill Devil Hills for our wedding week and it is not an event home, which is fine because we are having the reception at 108 Budleigh however we wanted to still do the ceremony on the beach and planned on doing it on the beach in front of the rental home.  Now the home doesn't allow events at the home or on the ocean in front of the home so I am unsure of where we would set up for a beach ceremony, also what we would do with the rental chairs we are getting for the ceremony on the beach??  Does anyone have any info regarding this??

Re: beach ceremony.. 108 reception...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oooo... I'm excited to hear this. I'm doing the exact same thing you are doing and have been having the exact same questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Is the beach in Kill Devil Hills private?  I can't remember any of it being blocked off as such.  What mile are you at?  I'd double check that for starters.

If it really is the home owners private beach, then you have a couple options.  You could move your wedding down to the closest public part of the beach and have a short walk or move it to a public beach access (they're usually crowded for parking though).

As for the chairs, you can pay a little extra and have the rental company set up and tear down your chairs right before and right after your ceremony.  We didn't do that at first because we wanted to save the money, but we changed our mind the month before the ceremony.  It was worth it!

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Which rental company is this through?  KDH is different b/c the beach areas there are smaller....I would find the closest public beach access to your house

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you need permits to have your wedding on the beach?
  • Options
    mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were married in KDH in front of The Pearl, but it's a public beach that no one owns (including the restaurant).  No permits are needed in KDH.  That's why I questioned the home being able to say you couldn't get married on the beach in front of it.  They CAN say you can't allow that many people on the property, but not the beach.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    tcigaltcigal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many people are you having?  To save time and money, we're not doing chairs for the ceremony (also on the beach, but in Corolla and it's public, so no fees, etc).  We are just getting 2 benches from Ocean Atlantic Rentals (and our other rentals for the receptoin) for Grandparents and those who will need to sit, and figure since the ceremony will only be about 20 mins tops, everyone else can stand for the short time period.  Some of my male family members will be in charge of throwing those in a truck and bringing them to the beach about 1/2 hour before it starts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are inviting 120 guests to the wedding so I would like to have rental chairs.. how much extra was it to have them set up and tear down right after??

I don't see how they can say that we can't have the ceremony on the beach in front of the house either because it is a public beach.. maybe like you said the people can't all be in the house but I don't see why they can't be on the beach, it makes so no sense..   I guess I'll have to go with a public beach access and hope its not too crowded.
  • Options
    87cav87cav member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are planning the same thing. My question is what are you doing for a backup incase the weather is bad? There will be a total of 16 family members at our wedding. We thought about a house for all of us that way if it rained we could have the ceremony in the living area with beautiful views from the windows. But some don't want to stay in a house with others. (I believe this may have to do with step-parents.)  So if we rent a smaller house or condo just for us, what do we do incase of inclement weather? Any low cost suggestions?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

OAR charges $3.00 per chair!  Yes, unbelievable but true.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards