South Asian Weddings

Open Letter Wednesday

We haven't done this in a really long time, so let's see if we can vent out our frustrations or even write a nice letter to someone for a change?
ExerciseMilestone

Re: Open Letter Wednesday

• temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Dear MIL,

You've actually been nice on this visit... thank you!  I really want us to get along and I accept the reality of long visits and appreciate all efforts at friendliness.  The giant tarp I used to cover most of the floor at home has gone a long way towards helping me be easier going about your habit of dropping stuff everywhere.  And I really appreciate that you complimented my daal and told DH I'm a better DIL than most of your friedns' DILs.

Hoping this continues,
    Your DIL

Dear FIL,

OMG!  STOP!  Seriously, stop everything you are doing!

You object to MIL listening to Bollywood music.  You are happy people died in the storm??  You berated DH's friend for living in the US??? You mistreated our handyman.  You are messier than MIL (which is really saying something).  You won't eat anything that hasn't been drenched in oil.  You won't let anyone else eat anything at all.  After your tantrum prevents any of us from having dinner, you want me to stay up and make you dessert.  You won't let MIL do a thing without interfering.  And you randomly yelled at someone who asked if DH works in Silicon Valley (because that's somehow wrong?)!

Again, just STOP already!

Your DIL who is trying so hard not to lose her temper.

• edited December 2011
    I am glad to hear that you're getting along well with your MIL. Too bad your FIL can't follow suit! Hopefully their visit is drawing to a close?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_open-letter-wednesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:a3493a47-38bb-4589-b601-7aeb3a3a7e9aPost:1731325b-de13-41f1-aae0-736379b1a6a1">Re: Open Letter Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am glad to hear that you're getting along well with your MIL. Too bad your FIL can't follow suit! Hopefully their visit is drawing to a close?
    Posted by raangoli[/QUOTE]

They left yesterday.  No doubt FIL was very disappointed that NYC was still there when they went back.

Actually, I like MIL in general and we actually have things in common, unlike SIL.  I just don't like the destruction she causes to my home, but covering the floor with a giant tarp really did help because then I could relax a little.  I also packed up quite a few easy-to-damage items.  I did have to bleach the grout in the kitchen every other day, but it was an improvement.  In India it's easier to get along because I feel she's entitled to destroy her own home, just not mine (plus there are servants, so it's not my problem if she makes a mess).  Also, this time she was fine with me going out on my own and she didn't throw away my food!  She even said she is fine with me wearing jeans!

No idea what's wrong with FIL!  DH thinks it's partly aging.  One of my friends said it's "namak haram" for him to criticize the Indians living here and then take money from DH...

Side note:  Maybe I shouldn't worry so much about MIL's destructive abilities.  My freind's MIL set fire to her (my freidn's) carpets.  Yes, it happened more than once to several different carpets!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards