North Carolina
Options

beach house rental

Hey ladies, I'm need some help or advice.  We are planning on getting married next August in Wilmington.  We aren't having a beach wedding, but we do want to spend some time with our family and friends at the beach.  Our plan is this:  the week before the wedding, have people (family and friends) rent some beach houses (if possible) and spend the week, make a vacation out of us being married at the beach.  Since most of our families are out of town as it is, it actually could work.  Please know that we are also going to request blocks of rooms in hotels for those who can't take are week off of work or for whatever reasons.  By no means is it a requirement for people to spend a week at the beach because we are getting married.  We just thought it would be a great way for our families and friends to relax and extend the celebration leading up to our wedding. 
Here is the problem: Most rentals during this time are Saturday to Saturday.  This will not work for us because we are getting married on Saturday.  The last thing I want to worry about is getting a house clean and packing up on the day of my wedding.  We are in need of a few houses that are willing to rent Sunday to Sunday ideally or Saturday to Sunday.  Any suggestions on rental companies, websites, or even if by chance some one knows someone who has a house and is willing to work with us, that would be great! Thanks ladies

Re: beach house rental

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married next summer as well and almost everyone is coming from out of town.  His parents have already rented a house in Wrightsville, but since our wedding is downtown his parents are going to move out of the rental on friday or Sat morning and getting a hotel downtown.  That might not work for you.  If I hear of anything I will let you know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did this for our wedding outside of Wilmington.  We were able to do a Thursday-Thursday rental which worked perfectly for us.  BUT, the ONLY reason we were able to do this is we got married the first weekend of May, which is still considered off-season by many of the rental agencies.  August is peak season, and unless you are able to score a last minute rental that has two weeks not booked, it is very unlikely that you will be able to get a rental that is not Saturday-Saturday.  If you have your heart set on doing a beach house rental I would recommend choosing a mid-season or off-season date.  Even in May it was warm and sunny, lots of people enjoying the beach, so temperature shouldn't be an issue just outside of peak season.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing this in Emerald Isle this summer.  Our rental is Sunday to Sunday, which could work for a Saturday wedding but that would mean you would have to check out the morning after the wedding.  We decided to get married on a Wednesday after talking to a couple of people we know who had destination weddings.  They both wished that they had gotten married earlier in the week so they could have relaxed with their friends and family for a few days after the wedding.  The other good thing is we haven't had any trouble getting vendors in the middle of the week!  If you don't want to get married mid week though, and you think checking out the morning after the wedding would be too much, maybe consider a Friday wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, all of this is very helpful and it would work if we weren't A. having to get married in August because my fiance is going back to school and the break between his last summer class and the beginning of fall class is the longest and it makes the most sense because we can get married and then have a honeymoon and he won't have to take time off from school.  B: I'm set on having a catholic ceremony.  I will not be married anywhere else but in the church, hence why a mid week wedding won't work.  I'm not loving the idea of leaving Sunday after the wedding, but that is better than Saturday before the wedding. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LesileE22,
    when are y'all getting married and where at downtown? We are getting married at St. Mary Catholic church downtown and our reception is at going to be at the Terraces on Sir Tyler by Mayfaire.  Since the beach is only like 10-15 minutes from downtown and the reception site is in the middle basically between the church and the beach, it would be perfect for people to get houses.  I just need to figure out how!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You can get married in a Catholic church on Fridays, so maybe that can be an option.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I know that we could be married on Friday, but the ceremony wouldn't be til 7, so it would just be a late night and even harder to get moving on Saturday and try to get out of the house.  I know I'm being really picky and there a few things I won't budge on(Saturday Catholic church wedding), therefore I'm hoping to find some home owners or a rental agency that will work with us.  Thanks for all the advice though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another thing to consider is having the wedding during spring break and do the honeymoon during summer break.  This is what we basically ended up doing because of our work schedules.  It's actually really nice because just as we're starting to get sick of being back at work we're able to go on our honeymoon haha.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try going to www.vrbo.com.  (Vacation Rentals By Owners)  Maybe they could be a bit more flexible on their dates for you.  Good luck!! 
  • Options
    TinyTRex321TinyTRex321 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might have more luck at Carolina Beach or Kure beach but those are further away from downtown Wilmington.Wrightsville beach stays really busy and booked during the summer. When renters are set up to do Saturday to Saturday changing it messes up the whole schedule. My grandmother owns a beach house at Oak Island and the realtor company they use are pretty strict about the rental times and such. Your best bet is going to finding owners or a smaller company to work with.

Oh another thought is to try Blockade Runner they have a big house next to the hotel that they rent out. It has something like 12 bedrooms. Also the rooms at Shell Island resort are more of a suite set up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    arpapp174 We are getting married at St. Mary's too!  We are having the reception across the street at the school in the Upper Room. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LeslieE22,
    Congrats! I'm so excited to be married in that church, it is breathtaking!!!  We looked at the UpperRoom and seriously considered it, but because there was really no access to outside and because some of guest are older, the stairs were an issue.  It is an awesome venue! We are having our reception at The Terraces on Sir Tyler!  Good luck planning everything....

Have you thought about a caterer or florist yet?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards