Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english?

Hello, i just had my bridal shower this past sunday and i need to start writing my thank you notes to send out. I had both spanish and english speaking guests. I'm not good with words and have no idea what to write especially the spanish ones. Can you please help with samples of thank yous?

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english?

• Dear Aunt Sue,

It was great to see you at the shower.  Thanks for the blender.  I can't wait to use it to make margaritas! 

Gracias,
    Laur

(Seriously, I don't know Spanish, but you can use a similar approach in Spanish.)
  • edited May 2012
    Querdida (Name of guest),

Muchas gracias por venir a la despedida de soltera.  Fue un gran placer verla.  Garcias por so regalo del (insert name of gift).  No puedo esperar usarlo en nuestra casa.

Gracias,
    Laur
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The usual format is:

Dear Person,

Thanks so much for the awesome (insert item here)!  We can't wait to use it at our next (time you will be using said item)!  It was great to see you at the shower, and we can't wait to celebrate with you at the wedding!

Love,
    Laur87

For the Spanish ones, just do the same thing but, you know, in Spanish. 

Also, cash isn't a usual shower gift, but if you did get cash/gift cards from someone, just say what it'll be used for.  Something like "Thanks so much for your generous gift.  We will be putting it towards our house fund/completing our registry/whatever" would work nicely.  If it's going towards something boring or personal like paying off credit card debt, then you just say "Thanks so much for your generous gift, it will be a great help to us as we start our life together."
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-thank-you-wording-in-spanish-and-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8a77134c-24b2-4fd9-99f8-970faf40d3a1Post:09a1011a-6a48-4adb-b28b-445a5eb98df6">Re: Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Querdida (Name of guest), Muchas gracias por venir a la despedida de soltera.  Fue un gran placer verla.  Garcias por so regalo del (insert name of gift).  No puedo esperar usarlo en nuestra casa. Gracias, Laur
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

<div>ETA:  if you have anything specific you want to say, just let me know.  You can page me here.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA2:  And I meant to edit not quote myself.  Sigh.</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-thank-you-wording-in-spanish-and-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8a77134c-24b2-4fd9-99f8-970faf40d3a1Post:5165c878-e09c-4741-b245-18b51ec2d441">Re: Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The usual format is: Dear Person, Thanks so much for the awesome (insert item here)!  We can't wait to use it at our next (time you will be using said item)!  It was great to see you at the shower, and we can't wait to celebrate with you at the wedding! Love, Laur87
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

I felt like I used SO many exclamation points in my thank yous, apparently I'm not the only one :-)
  • Kate, my thank yous are a MESS of exclamation points.  I think what happens is, once I use more than one, I feel bad about not using them on the other sentences.  Like, if I used one for "thanks for the blender" but then not for "it was great to see you" I'm implying that the blender was more exciting than seeing the person, and that just feels mean.  I know, I know, I'm overthinking my use of punctuation.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I know exactly what you mean.  Once you've used one you just keep going, it's a vicious cycle.  Of course the ones H wrote after the wedding had zero exclamation points and I felt like they weren't thankful enough, haha
  • edited May 2012
    Are you close to any of your spanish speaking guests? Maybe you should ask them for a generic thank you not translation.

Not sure if people on this board actually speak spanish or are using translators but going with someone you know and trust (and who knows you) is probably the better way to go. That way you can be certain there are no mistakes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-thank-you-wording-in-spanish-and-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:8a77134c-24b2-4fd9-99f8-970faf40d3a1Post:eda0f9ef-db19-4b08-882a-aae010e41d52">Re: Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english? : I felt like I used SO many exclamation points in my thank yous, apparently I'm not the only one :-)
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

But I was just so excited about my book of pie recipes!!!!!!!!!

(I am guilty of overusing exclamation points.)
  • MP, pie recipes only get 5 exclamation points, everyone knows that.  Now, if you'd said cupcake recipes, then 10 would be appropriate.  :-)
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • I like froggie's suggestion.  Although I'm guessing some of your guests were family that you're somewhat close to?  In which case you'd probably stick to tu rather than Usted...you know your relationship to these guests.

I'm a little confused on what you need...do you speak/write Spanish, and just need wording help?
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-thank-you-wording-in-spanish-and-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8a77134c-24b2-4fd9-99f8-970faf40d3a1Post:41070937-adbf-412d-bbbe-8913b6027d8f">Re: Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like froggie's suggestion.  Although I'm guessing some of your guests were family that you're somewhat close to?  In which case you'd probably stick to tu rather than Usted...you know your relationship to these guests. I'm a little confused on what you need...do you speak/write Spanish, and just need wording help?
    Posted by katehar01[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's kinda an important question. If you don't speak/write Spanish, I'd imagine your Spanish-speaking guests would know that and wouldn't expect a perfectly written thank you note in Spanish. In fact, it might not seem all that genuine if it's in a language you're not fluent in and it's obvious you're just copying from some translation site (or from TK). That's just MHO.

If all you need is wording help, PPs had good suggestions. Googling "bridal shower thank you notes" provides many examples, too.

GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • laur87laur87 member
    First Comment
    Thanks!! I do speak spanish fluent but just need wording help. I tried translating from english to spanish but doesnt sound right. I just cant find the right words to us.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-shower-thank-you-wording-in-spanish-and-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8a77134c-24b2-4fd9-99f8-970faf40d3a1Post:09a1011a-6a48-4adb-b28b-445a5eb98df6">Re: Bridal Shower thank you wording in spanish and english?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Querida</strong> (Name of guest), Muchas gracias por venir a <strong>la despedida de soltera</strong>.  Fue un gran placer ver<strong>la</strong>.  <strong>Gracias</strong> por <strong>so</strong> regalo del (insert name of gift).  <strong>No puedo esperar</strong> usarlo en nuestra casa. Gracias, Laur
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

<div>OP, if you do speak Spanish, you'll probably be ok editing what Froggie has suggested above...but make these changes first. The sentiment is in the right place.</div><div>
    </div><div>Querida/gracias/su were misspelled above, watch out for that in your note</div><div>despedida de soltera - this is for a bachelorette party, literally "good-bye to singlehood"</div><div>the "la" in "verla" is super formal - if these are friends, especially close friends or people your age, you're probably better off writing "verte"</div><div>not "so", "su" - "su" is formal. if you write "verte" above, write "tu" here.</div><div>i think "No puedo esperar" sounds super unnatural in Spanish - maybe consider "Tengo ganas de" or "Me emociona mucho"?</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards