Registry and Gift Forum

Registry and moving??

Aloha everyone,
my FI and I are planning on moving to the mainland (we live on the BI of Hawaii right now) shortly after the wedding. We want to make a small registry for gifts, but know whatever tangible items we receive we will have to move with us (extra cost of shipping/moving). Is it rude to request they keep this in mind, get smaller items, gift cards or checks in place of actual gifts? We will be living in a smaller apartment while house hunting, and won't have a lot of space either, so something of this nature we could hang on to and spend appropriately when it is time.
We just don't want to come across impersonal or rude with this request. Has anyone done this before? Should we just "suck it up" so to speak, and bite the bill for the extra moving items? We're trying to pan down as of right now, and not really looking to add to our items just yet.
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!
Mahalo!

Re: Registry and moving??

• egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I wouldn't tell them don't get us a physical gift because we're moving, I would say we're moving to x place after we get married.  Gifts aren't required, so they really shouldn't be mentioned unless asked directly.  If a guest asks where you are registered or if there is anything you want, I would say since we're moving to the mainland, we decided not to register.

My cousin and his wife got married in her native country, and then she moved to the US.  They did not register and let people know via word of mouth and their website that they would be residing in the United States after their marriage, and all of their guests figured out that money was the best gift for them.  
  • I've found that some guests like to buy gifts, and if you don't register at all they will still go and pick out a gift for you.  You might get gifts you don't want or even get gifts you can't return.  I'd suggest registering but maybe only for small things that you know you can use.  For example, maybe you would like a new set of towels.  You can always get rid of your old towels if the gift comes before you move; then you are still only moving with one set of towels but get to use nice new ones once you move.... things like that.  I agree with PP that if people are aware of your plan to move they will realize that money would be best, but I'm just thinking about those guests that prefer to give a gift, and that you might want to at least have some options for them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A lot of guests won't put two and two together - that gifts and moving are incompatible. (Those who do will give you gift cards.) 

If I were you, I would register at a store where you can return everything - Macy's might be your best bet. Then, rebuy it all when you're on the mainland. You can probably even take advantage of completion discounts and get more for your money.
  • Where do your parents live? Do you have relatives who live on the mainland that would be willing to accept gifts shipped to them?
  • His family lives in Idaho, mine are in Michigan. We are moving to Colorado. We have considered having gifts sent to their home instead, and picking them up at some point after we moved. I think I don't want to hurt feelings, sound pushy, etc. But if anything, we could have them delivered there, and then pick them up. Thanks for all of the ideas! I think a small registry is a good idea, and then via word of mouth, I can let people know of our intentions, and what may best work for us (gift cards, check, waiting, etc).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-and-moving?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:fbdcbb63-3949-4bcd-bac1-03461d1911dePost:23fccadb-bd1a-429a-88ae-8287dab3da31">Re: Registry and moving??</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of guests won't put two and two together - that gifts and moving are incompatible. (Those who do will give you gift cards.)  If I were you, I would register at a store where you can return everything - Macy's might be your best bet. Then, rebuy it all when you're on the mainland. You can probably even take advantage of completion discounts and get more for your money.
    Posted by racholas[/QUOTE]

this sounds like a really good idea. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards