California-Los Angeles

Guest List HELP

Hello Ladies,

My wedding site holds 250 people. Our guest list is at 365 people. Half of the guest list are from overeas (FI is Indian) so we are expecting a larger attrition rate from those people. So I am asking, Are we putting ourselves in a possible danger zone?

Normal weddings have a 25% attrition rate, but destination weddings have about a 35% attrition rate. If I add those calculations, that means we will have about 256 people. I am SUPER SCARED we will run out of chairs/room!!!

BTW, our only option is to try and reduce the guest list as changing the venue is impossible.
Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio

Re: Guest List HELP

• Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow, you are having a LOT of people! =D Well my suggestion, is to try to cut your list a bit more. You never know if they do go...then what are you going to do with no chairs to sit them?? So yeah, I say cut the guest list. HTH

• edited December 2011
    Sorry to say but I think you have to cut the guest list.  Our venue only holds 180 and we had 200, I know it's not that bad, but I didn't want to have to figure something out like a month before the wedding when all the RSVP's came in and I had more then my venue holds.  Maybe you could cut some people out that you or your FI isn't really that close with and then after your married send them an announcement, just an idea.  GL and HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. I would suggest cutting your list. What if everyone does decide to show up then you'll be stuck with people with NO chairs and that will be worse.

GL!
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree with everyone else and say cut your list.  I'm sure you're getting a lot of pressure from your parents to invite people but you need (and you need to make them understand) that although it may be nice to have everyone, it would suck if 100 or so people couldn't fit inside your venue.  

I had about 80 guests and we invited about 85 people.  Most everyone was out of town (if not out of state) from where the wedding was held.  Don't count on what statistics say about how many guests will decline a wedding invitation, it will only stress you out in the end.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    A list and B list! 

Take the people you would be cutting and put them on a secondary list.  Send your invites out two or three weeks early.  Once you get some "no" responses in enough to cover your "B" list, send out the B list. 

Try to avoid putting people on the B list that are very close to people on the A list.  If they don't talk, they won't know that their invites got there three weeks after somebody else's. :)

If you put the international list in the first group you'll get those "no" replies sooner!
  • TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else, cut your list!

I had the same issue but you can really look at it and start cutting people.

I was told to make an A list and a B list as well.

I was also told that if I hadnt talked to the people in the past year, cut them!

You will be surprised when you really look at your list and realize that there are people that CAN be cut.

HTH!
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• edited December 2011
    YES this is a danger. If you are over capacity, you can't just tell people not to come in. You need to have food for all these people. And your venue will NOT look kindly on being shut down due to fire code.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    If you don't know where to cut, send out your invites early to your A list, then as you receive declines, you can send out invites to people on the B list.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I will do the A list/B list thing. It makes the most sense, and also allows us to cut the least amount of people! 
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards