Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Any married ladies here?

I know this has been asked before, but the search doesn't work for me still.  I'm heading to the SS Card office this afternoon to change my name. I've got my license and my marriage certificate.... but I forgot my passport (and I don't have a birth certificate- my mom lost it.)  Am I ok? Should I give up and try later with my passport??

Re: Any married ladies here?

• Options
    threemarie24threemarie24 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I remember correctly I only had my new DL (married name) and my marriage Cert, so you should be good! :) --oh bring a book, the wait could be longish, but hopefully not! 
    imageimage

Congrats to my super sweet BFPB, veronicafvr, She's a SEP '11 momma

Married bio ? follow my boring blog Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have my new DL... that's also happening today. Oh well, I might as well try. 

I have to go to the location on Chicago and Franklin right?  or is it the downtown service center? I'm so confused.
  • Options
    juliels53juliels53 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You shouldn't need your passport. I went in for SS card with my clipped ID and papers. Something I didn't think of...they'll take your current (old name) SS card. If you are able, try to arrange a day at SS office so you're there before they open. I was there 20 min. early and still had to wait about 15 min after they opened. If you have to go during the day, bring a book! :)
    In story books marriage is a happy ending. In real life it's a happy beginning. Living my happy beginning since September 18, 2010! Planning Bio & Vendor Reviews
  • Options
    bellaxanthebellaxanthe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am totally listening to all this. I was thinking of going today as well but forgot my documents. I think I'm going to try downtown since I work right here.  If you don't end up going - maybe I'll see you on Monday!
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did my DL first, and then my SS card.  When you do your DL, they give you a yellow slip of paper with the new info on it to go with the DL while you wait for the new one in the mail.  I took my old DL, yellow paper, and license to the SS office.

And yes, bring a book.  The line was about 1.5 hours when I went.
  • Options
    drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did my SS card first (just did my licence today :)) but I did have my passport. I think you might need two forms of identification but I cant remember. There are signs all over the room though listing out what exactly you need from which category to get what type of SS card so you will know pretty soon after you get there if you have enough to apply. And yes - it takes a very long time. I think we were waiting an hour and a half.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    bah! Don't ignore my question! please please pretty please? I'm starting to freak out about this.

Chicago/Franklin location? Or did you go downtown?
  • Options
    LauraMC09LauraMC09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You just need your marriage license. I only had my marriage license and everything was just fine!
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, Steph, you have to go to the office at 1811 Chicago.

MIL works at a SS office in IA, and I think she told me that all you need is the marriage license and your current ID.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On a side note for the search problem, I always had a problem when I typed in what I was looking for and hit enter... that never worked. I have found that if I type it in and hit the GO next to the current board drop down and it has always worked that way. HTH
    Anniversary
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weird, I was just on E and think threemarie had a couple more posts that ended up in a thread over there... if not, that was a really weird thread jack, since name changes and SS cards have nothing to do w/the fact that katiewhompus redid her dining room and is having a baby...
  • Options
    threemarie24threemarie24 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_married-ladies-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:7370677e-906c-493d-9ba4-5849120f53cdPost:e8884316-b0a2-48cb-b806-d51e2eaa2acd">Re: Any married ladies here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weird, I was just on E and think threemarie had a couple more posts that ended up in a thread over there... if not, that was a really weird thread jack, since name changes and SS cards have nothing to do w/the fact that katiewhompus redid her dining room and is having a baby...
    Posted by tpender13[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>YES I error'ed out and it when the screen came back it sent me to E board, WTH!!!  I need to go over there and see what that was all about. Thanks for telling me where it went. 

</div>
    imageimage

Congrats to my super sweet BFPB, veronicafvr, She's a SEP '11 momma

Married bio ? follow my boring blog Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What's the rush?
    I'll prolly do all of this waaay late :)
    (I love my last name and am NOT looking forward to changing it!) lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help!  Just to follow up, today was the best possible day to do all of this name change stuff.  Got to the SS card office at 12:50, and waited for all of 9 minutes before they called my number.  Did all of that, then went to the DMV.  I pulled a number and they called me up before I even sat down. They had to wait for me for once ;) Bank was super quick process too.

Just an FYI: I only needed to show my marriage certificate, because it had my old name, new name, birthdate and SSN included. No DL or anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards