West Virginia

ROLL CALL!!! let's get some life in this board!

hey guys!  this board is super dead.  let's do a roll call so we can get to know one another.

share your wedding date, where you're from, where your wedding is taking place, your colors or theme, or anything else you wanna share!
Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: ROLL CALL!!! let's get some life in this board!

• edited December 2011
    i'll start:
    i'm getting married 12-11-10, i'm from Logan County (southern WV), my wedding is also in Logan, my colors are winter whites/ivory, gold, and a touch of plum.  i wouldn't really say my wedding has a theme persay....i'm avoiding the christmas theme just because i don't want to over-christmas people, and i'm more so embracing the romantic winter look.  my centerpieces are what i've been working on lately.  here is a pic close to my idea....
  • nanwvananwva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there. My original wedding date was Sept 18th but we have now decided to move it up to July 17th. I would say it is a possibility it could be changed again! My FI lives in Huntington and I live in Morgantown. We are both in our 50's and it is a 2nd marriage for each of us. We have been together for more then 5 years and was very surprised when he asked me on Valentines Day. As it stands now we will be getting married in Huntington. He has a much larger family then I do so easier to have a few travel then a lot. It makes it easier since neither of us want a formal wedding. We are looking to have something outside very simple then a picnic type reception. We want everyone from the youngest to the oldest to relax and have a fun time. We won't have all the traditional trimmings. I do try to find little things to give it a wedding feel just to keep in the spirit of it all. I simply insist on a wedding cake and have found the perfect topper that will be a surprise for the FI. Any suggestions on anything at all from food to whatever would be welcome. My biggest problem at the moment is finding a dress. 
  • edited December 2011
    well nan, it looks like we are alone.  LOL  where have you been looking for dresses so far??
  • nanwvananwva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey,
    I have looked online till my fingers are exhausted! I am actually thinking of having one made. I want something light and flowing, just below the knee or tea lenght. Since we will be outside I'd like it to be cool and comfortable. I've searched and found a pattern I like and know someone that can make it for me. Now the search is on for the material. In the more than five years that we have been together very little of our families have met each other. This gathering should be interesting. My kids (all adults) each have quite a sense of humor. My 2 daughters and hopefully my new daughter in law will be there. My son is on his 3rd tour overseas, So I am looking forward to it but nervous all at the same time.
  • nanwvananwva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Joanna,
    Did I read right your wedding is 12/11/2010?
  • bravesgirlkbbravesgirlkb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey! i'm getting married July 10, 2010 -- ahh it's creeping up on me! i live about 15 mins outside of charleston. our wedding is going to be at our church in charleston & the reception is going to be at the woman's club of charleston. our colors are navy blue, red & white. we are having a bit of a baseball theme =)
    -- Shane & Kristen <33 --<br>Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married in Oct. 2011 at Coonskin in Charleston. We're using fall colors. the BM dresses will be light brown and the MOH dress will be chocolate brown. We're using orange and yellow flowers and will incorporate other fall colors somehow, too. We're both from Kanawha County. I'm currently a student at Marshall and he goes to West Virginia State.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

nan, yes my wedding is dec. 11th, 2010

bravesgirl, a baseball wedding sounds like a blast! =)

wmb, sounds like your wedding is gonna be beautiful!  the fall colors will be so romantic, and i used to live 3 or 4 doors down from the womens club, and it is very nice.  that will be awesome!

• edited December 2011
    Hey! 

I'm also a southern WV girl, Wyoming County.  FI is from Raliegh County.  We are getting married in an outdoor ceremony at Stephen's Lake on Sept 25, 2010.  The reception will be held inside the pavilion.
    My colors are navy & white.  Classic, formal & traditional, roses are my flowers and we're using tons of candles.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    oooh, stephens lake will make a great venue!  i love outdoor weddings, especially in early fall.  that will be beautiful.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  It's too cool to actually "chat" with someone on here that has a clue where I'm talking about.  LOL!

I'm also doing bridal portraits there, at the pavilion, the overlook and the day launch marina. 

BTW, my mom's family is originally from Logan county & Pike County Ky.
  • edited December 2011
    oh cool!  yep, i'm from logan born and raised.  lol  my fiance has been in beckley the last few years in physician assistant school at MSU, so i have spent a lot of time in raleigh co. with him.  there are sooo many pretty places in that part of the state.
  • edited December 2011
    Lake Stephens is actually kind of a hidden treasure.  You would surprised how many people don't know about the Pavilion.  Its at the very end of the park, past all the beaches & marinas.  Plus its very budget friendly, we get the whole building from Thursday evening to Monday morning for $400, plus tax & deposit of $125 we get back.  We're starting setup Thursday evening, having RD & rehearsal on Friday.  I hope to only have a few small finishing touches to do on Sat before the wedding.  Good Luck with yours!
  • edited December 2011

We are getting married June 25, 2011 in Charleston.  We are planning an evening wedding and we just booked our reception site at the Marriott in the Pavilion.  I'm in the beginning planning stages for everything else.  My next steps are to find a Photographer & DJ.  I also need to get a church.  Any suggestions of a great Church in Charleston?   We are planning on having about 120 guests at our wedding.   Our wedding colors are black, white and a turquoise/aqua blue.   :)

• edited December 2011
    There are several beautiful churches in charleston, so you're in luck!  My favorite that I've been in is the 1st Presbyterian church.
  • wendywattswendywatts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Wedding is October 10th, 2010.  It is going to be on my church's property in Scott Depot, WV and the reception at the Community Center in Hurricane.  I am the only person from the wedding that actually lives in WV, so it is kinda like a destination wedding :)  My Fi is moving here from INdiana and I am orignally from NC.  My colors are going to be chocolate with some orange and maybe some other fall colors but mostly chocoalte!  I didn't realize weddings had so many little details!!
  • sexymandersexymander member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Getting married April 2, 2011.  Not too sure of location yet, we've been looking into Coonskin.  It will be outdoors and somewhere in the Charleston area for sure.  Any form of planning is kind of shot for now, issues on my side are being a bother. 
  • october4040october4040 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on Friday October 8th in Fairmont. My colors are chocolate brown and ivory, but the theme is really fall with an emphasis on sunflowers. I've done a lot of my shopping online (eBay and Etsy). We've just booked our photographer, officiant, and an Etsy shop is making my wedding party flowers, so I feel like everything is starting to come together.
  • mcole04mcole04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married Oct 2, 2010 in Martinsburg WV.  We are having an outdoor wedding with fall theme.
  • edited December 2011
    I am new to this board I havent been on the knot in a very long time.  My original wedding date was to be this fall but there were deaths in both of our families so we are going to post pon it.  I currently live in Cross Lanes (right outside of Charleston), but in 2 weeks I will be moving to Harpers Ferry.  I am getting married in FL on the beach so the wedding can not be in the summer way too hot down there then.  Colors we are going to go with black and blue I know sounds bad hahaha.  I would love to meet some girls and have a GTG in the new town i am moving to.  Let me know if anyone would like to do that in say July or August.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello!!!

My name is Julie.   Our wedding date is September 18, 2010 and will be located at Oglebay Resort in Wheeling, West Virginia.  

I am originally from Van Wert County in Ohio and my FI is from Prince William County in Virginia.  I have lived in VA for 6 years and we met 4 years ago.  

We chose Wheeling since it is the half-way point. Oglebay was chosen for it's all inclusive style.  They take care of the ceremony, reception, catering and the cake!!  They have a wonderful local florist with extremely reasonable prices.  I also find a company out of Pittsburgh that does work there all the time that has an all inclusive package for photography, videography, and DJ!! 

We are going with the classic fall/autumn theme. Our colors are truffle, ivory, and orange. 

Mrs Bullock
  • edited December 2011
    Hello everyone,

My name is Amanda, I just got engaged a week ago and do not know where to even begin.  I have only lived in WV for the past 2 years and still learning the areas.  My FI(guessing fiance) is born and raised here.  At this point our date is 9.10.11 and we are going with a Colbalt blue and copper color, maybe with hints of rusty red and orange.  other than that I am juggling things in my head a lot and trying to pick up the lingo on The Knot.  Any suggestions please send them my way.
  • mrchnochrrymrchnochrry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey all!!

I'm from Fairmont, but FI and I are getting married 8/20/2011 at Camp Skylemar in Naples, Maine. We just couldn't find any places we could agree upon and afford. We've only lived here for about a year (we're both originally from Belmont Co. Ohio.)

Colors are Tiffany blue and chocolate brown, there isn't really a theme, but we are getting married on a dock on Trickey Pond =]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Everyone!!!

My wedding is set for August 28th, 2010 in Morgantown, 40 days to go!!!
    We're doing the ceremony at St. Lukes church, and the reception will be at the new Alumni Center.  We're doing different shades of blue.  So excited to see all the plans finally coming together! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone!!  My name is Christa and I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA but moved into the Wheeling Area to be with my fiance (he grew up here).  We met on eharmony in January 2009 and got engaged October of 2009.  We are getting married at Oglebay at the Pine Room, but in late summer next year so @ Julie I would love to help you out if there is anything you need to know from around the area.  We have much undecided at the moment because by the end of next month FH will hopefully have gotten two job promotions within a couple months time so we're kind of waiting for everything to settle down a bit and making our final decisions by end of August or so.  We have a general style and some options on colors, etc. but other than venue, much is up in the air for us.  It's great to meet all of you!! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I'm Jen. Im actually in Ohio but city was close enough to me. Im getting married to the man of my dreams Doug on March 26, 2011. We are getting married at the Harbor of Hope Church in St. Clairsville Ohio with a reception at Carnes Center in Morristown Ohio. Our colors are silver, black, and palm beach orange. We are getting excited after five years we are finally getting married.
  • LAB2011LAB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Everyone!

Im fairly new to the knot, but catching on pretty quick! Our wedding date is April 30, 2011, we had an earlier date scheduled but a baby got in the way so we rescheduled for April. We are getting married in Wayne County, WV...my hometown and we are very excited to get married so close to home, plus I love living in the country! Trying to get ideas on wedding vows, and pretty much everything for the big day! If anyone has any ideas, or helpful hints, don't hesitate to pass them my way!

Thanks, Leighann
  • JamieJoJamesJamieJoJames member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!i am pretty new to the Knot too. My fiance and I are both from Clarksburg, WV and plan on getting married in the Clarksburg-Bridgeport area. My wedding was supposed to be in September 2011, but we have to change our date b/c my future father in law gets season tickets for WVU football every year. We haven't set a date in stone yet, but we were thinking June or July 2011. I already have my dress and i know that I am going to use peacock feathers. I think that i am going to have my bridesmaids wear black dresses and have the feathers in their bouquets and hairpieces.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone!

I'm actually a wedding photographer in Charleston so it's pretty interesting being on the other side of weddings for once! We're pretty nontraditional, so we're actually doing the ceremony in Vegas in February during a huge wedding photography convention (we were going to go anyway).... that way we'll have 12,000 photographers to choose from! We're going to make sure we get portraits of the two of us out in the desert and at night on the strip.

We're having a reception back home in Charleston a few months later, April 23 2011, but we're still narrowing down the venue/details. I am really attached to the Confluence in Fayetteville - there's just something about dancing at dusk by a barn that gives me goosebumps - but I'm growing more and more scared of rain. So we might go with UC or the Women's Club. We'd love to have Pies & Pints cater some yummy gourmet pizza pies so we're learning towards the Women's Club.

Colors are yellow and grey. No wedding party, 70-90 guests.

I've lost 85 pounds and still want to lose another 30 before fitting in a dress, but I've been loving these - http://www.sajawedding.com/collection_gowns.html

No clue on flowers/theme/etc yet. I follow too many wedding blogs so I am on inspiration overload!!! We will probably incorporate music into the decor as much as possible since it's so important to us (see inspiration photo below).

I'm super duper busy but I am going to pop in here every now and then to see if anyone makes any great suggestions for a Charleston wedding/reception! Since more than half of our budget is devoted to photography, I'll have to find creative & cheap ways to create the sophisticated, stylish reception I have been envisioning.

:)

A wedding photographer gets hitched! Vegas ceremony, Charleston reception.
  • HoJo2011HoJo2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi guys!

I'm always on theknot but just discovered this WV wedding board! Our wedding date is June 4, 2011 in Logan, WV. We've been engaged since April 2009 but are waiting until after I graduate to get married, so I'm to the point where I've looked at SO many wedding websites and magazines that I can't even decide on colors now! ha  I, however, had no trouble deciding on a photographer, which just so happens to be thirstygiraffe (see above)! I fell in love with her work the minute I spotted it online!

Congrats to you and your fiance, thirstygiraffe, and good luck with your fast approaching wedding!

Good job on getting this board going, Joanna!  Your wedding sounds like it's going to be beautiful and I love your dress!  Congrats to you guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards