African American Weddings

Invite question - Inner envelopes?

Happy Friday ladies!  I just got my invitations from the printer this week and I'm trying to decide if I want to use the inner envelope that was included.  If I do, I plan to get a wax seal to close them so it looks nice, but I can't figure out if it's worth it to bother. 

I know that tradition says that an inner envelope is used, but I remember getting a wedding invite back in the day and thinking "what's up with all of the envelopes - what a waste."  Lol.

So tell me - are you/did you use them?  Why/why not?

Re: Invite question - Inner envelopes?

• edited December 2011
    The inner envelope is typically used to address the invites to the specific people that you are inviting.  If you send the outer to Mr. and Mrs. John Doe, then the inner envelope will be addressed to John and Mary. 

If the outer says The Doe Family and you wanted the invite to include a child as well, then you wouls addess the inner as John, Mary, and Master Timothy. 
    Anniversary
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I didn't use them. Postage was already $.60+ a invite for my pocketfolds already.  Plus like you said, what is up with all the envelopes.  Let's save a few trees, but that's just me.

The wax seal would be nice, maybe get one done with everything and then take to the post office to see how much one with the inner envelope is to mail and how much one without the inner envelope is to mail.
  • edited December 2011
    well... etiquette says you have to use one and informally address it to whom you're inviting. Tasha says its redundant and a waste of valuable resources like money time and trees. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • edited December 2011
    We used them. A family friend did our invites as a wedding gift. Since he actually paid for the inner envelopes & sent them to us, we used them. Didn't wanna waste his $$. But if we purchased our own invites, we would not have purchased the inner envelopes cause it is unnecessary, IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • empeguesempegues member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_invite-question-inner-envelopes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:4090c105-2c0a-4fe8-ab7d-a2a9fb900f58Post:b3e3e151-8fb9-4e63-b1a8-747e447d7198">Re: Invite question - Inner envelopes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]well... etiquette says you have to use one and informally address it to whom you're inviting. Tasha says its redundant and a waste of valuable resources like money time and trees. LOL
    Posted by Soon2BSand[/QUOTE]

Well said!  I'm not big on redundancy simply because that's how it's been done in the past.  I think I'll let the money talk on this one.  If it ups my postage charge, they're out of there :)
  • FabbiegirlFabbiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_invite-question-inner-envelopes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:4090c105-2c0a-4fe8-ab7d-a2a9fb900f58Post:b3e3e151-8fb9-4e63-b1a8-747e447d7198">Re: Invite question - Inner envelopes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]well... etiquette says you have to use one and informally address it to whom you're inviting. Tasha says its redundant and a waste of valuable resources like money time and trees. LOL
    Posted by Soon2BSand[/QUOTE]

LOL!  I am with Tasha!  Bump etiquette.  I didn't use any, but they did not come in my invitation kit either.
  • edited December 2011
    We used them mostly for the formality.  Our wedding was black tie so our invites set the tone for the event.  Also, some people got the hint that their kids weren't invited when the inner envelope didn't have their kids name on it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards