Snarky Brides

Thought this was interesting...

I didn't read the whole article, but basically doctors are "firing" patients who refuse to vaccinate their kids. Putting other at risk.

Thought it was interesting following the last few conversations.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203315804577209230884246636.html?mod=e2fb
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Thought this was interesting...

• Hmmmm I don't know how I feel about that.  On one hand, if it hleps protect other kids, etc, by encouraging parents to vaccinate, that's good.  But also, I don't like that the kids are getting punished (no medical care) because of decisions the parents are making

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:e29b5091-e761-4002-94a5-6771ccf9c7f9">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmmm I don't know how I feel about that.  On one hand, if it hleps protect other kids, etc, by encouraging parents to vaccinate, that's good.  But also, I don't like that the kids are getting punished (no medical care) because of decisions the parents are making
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying Jes. I do have to wonder if they are also trying to protect others in their office. Say if a young child is in the waiting room and it's not ready for certain vaccines, are they knowingly not protecting THAT child.KWIM?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:ef1cef87-7c69-4cad-8964-4ba7018c7be8">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thought this was interesting... : I see what you are saying Jes. I do have to wonder if they are also trying to protect others in their office. Say if a young child is in the waiting room and it's not ready for certain vaccines, are they knowingly not protecting THAT child.KWIM?
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

That occured to me too.  And that is also a good thing.  But still, if this becomes commonplace, and more and more doctors won't take non-vaccinating parents, that leaves kids without medical care.  But I wouldn't have the first idea of how to fix that issue, aside from sending non-vaccinating parents and their children to live on whore island with unvaccinated doctors.  And THAT'S not a good fix.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I dont know enough about the medical community to have a strong opinion on this.  But at face value, I just think should have the right to refuse (on a non-emergency level) taking on an patient they are not comfortable with.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I can't imagine being a doctor and having patients refuse to take my advice like that. You'd have to wonder what other instructions/prescriptions the parents are refusing to follow. I do feel bad for the unvaccinated children, but their parents need to see just how batshit crazy they are. There's too much validation from Internet quacks right now. And it's putting others at risk.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:e01651b6-8db9-486e-9b1f-db7bd1ca33b7">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont know enough about the medical community to have a strong opinion on this.  But at face value, I just think should have the right to refuse (on a non-emergency level) taking on an patient they are not comfortable with.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]<div>This. A doctor is well within his right to choose which patients he will and will not see.

</div>
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:154a9055-a951-4b41-b373-a0c713f834f8">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thought this was interesting... : That occured to me too.  And that is also a good thing.  But still, if this becomes commonplace, and more and more doctors won't take non-vaccinating parents, that leaves kids without medical care.  But I wouldn't have the first idea of how to fix that issue, aside from sending non-vaccinating parents and their children to live on<strong> whore island </strong>with unvaccinated doctors.  And THAT'S not a good fix.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh. Where exactly is Whore Island?

I completely understand what you are saying. The kids are being punished in the long run. But I also agree with Blue, they have the right to reuse to treat a patient they dont feel comfortable with.

I heard there are doctors who refuse to treat obese patients as well.
  • Also, I think I feel that way because its so easy to sue Drs that they have to be able to protect themselves.  If the patient doesnt listen to what the Dr advises, and then gets sick or dies, the Dr can get sued.  I dont like that.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:154a9055-a951-4b41-b373-a0c713f834f8">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thought this was interesting... : That occured to me too.  And that is also a good thing.  But still, if this becomes commonplace, and more and more doctors won't take non-vaccinating parents, that leaves kids without medical care.  <strong>But I wouldn't have the first idea of how to fix that issue, aside from sending non-vaccinating parents and their children to live on whore island with unvaccinated doctors. </strong> And THAT'S not a good fix.

Then the parents would have to start vaccinating their children.  I would think it's as simple as that.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:1d9215bc-8dfb-4fd0-94b6-be427a6a4407">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thought this was interesting... : Then the parents would have to start vaccinating their children.  I would think it's as simple as that.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

There you go being all logical and stuff!
  • I just got back from a public health lecture on the HPV vaccine that was very interesting. It was the first place I had heard the term "anti-vaccinationist" though I was of course aware of the concept. 

From a public health perspective I of course understand why vaccinations are incredibly necessary. I do see though why parents might weigh the odds and think their child is unlikely to come in contact with the diseases. That just isn't a gamble I think I would be willing to take personally. 

I had whooping cough as a child despite being vaccinated so I am a bit bitter about vaccinations but I'd still have my theoretical children vaccinated. 

I agree with PPs though that I think it's within the doctors rights to refuse to provide non-emergent care even though i don't particularly like it. My biggest concern would be that these children would miss out on necessary care. 
  • If your child is unlikely to come in contact with the diseases, the diseases wouldn't be popping up now, years after we thought they were gone. The reason they weren't popping up was because we were vaccinated against them. The carriers are still there. If you don't want your child vaccinated, fine. But don't expect my doctor to treat your possibly diseased kid in the same office as kids who aren't old enough to be vaccinated. That's a life-threatening danger to kids too young for certain vaccines. The more parents choose not to vaccinate, the bigger risk that puts on ALL children. I fully support Whore Island if you choose to not vaccinate. 
  • I don't take care of kids, but I have no problem with physicians firing their patients who they think are threats to others.  If a pediatrician or family doc had a bunch of unvaccinated patients in his/her practice, those kids could be health risks to other people in the practice.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:a256217e-46af-4000-8d84-9683737e05d5">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your child is unlikely to come in contact with the diseases, the diseases wouldn't be popping up now, years after we thought they were gone. The reason they weren't popping up was because we were vaccinated against them. The carriers are still there. If you don't want your child vaccinated, fine. But don't expect my doctor to treat your possibly diseased kid in the same office as kids who aren't old enough to be vaccinated. That's a life-threatening danger to kids too young for certain vaccines. The more parents choose not to vaccinate, the bigger risk that puts on ALL children. <strong>I fully support Whore Island if you choose to not vaccinate. 
    </strong>Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. My BIL and SIL live in a town with a super high Mennonite population, and the children of these Mennonite families are not vaccinated at all. They are eligible to apply for religious exemption, which is fine if that's what they want to do, but then they and their children come into town and shop, or visit friends or whatever, and there's always an outbreak of this or that (often German Measles) that ends up affecting the rest of the town. SIL went through huge amounts of testing when she was pregnant because a child that she was counselling told her that her little sister was home sick with German Measles. It's scary stuff.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:a256217e-46af-4000-8d84-9683737e05d5">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your child is unlikely to come in contact with the diseases, the diseases wouldn't be popping up now, years after we thought they were gone. The reason they weren't popping up was because we were vaccinated against them. The carriers are still there. If you don't want your child vaccinated, fine. But don't expect my doctor to treat your possibly diseased kid in the same office as kids who aren't old enough to be vaccinated. That's a life-threatening danger to kids too young for certain vaccines. The more parents choose not to vaccinate, the bigger risk that puts on ALL children. I fully support Whore Island if you choose to not vaccinate. 
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]
    This.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_thought-this-was-interesting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:db624546-0b03-4136-8ee2-c21532567054Post:4d96a99f-5aa0-4b39-9636-c3823afbe1b5">Re: Thought this was interesting...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, I think I feel that way because its so easy to sue Drs that they have to be able to protect themselves.  If the patient doesnt listen to what the Dr advises, and then gets sick or dies, the Dr can get sued.  I dont like that.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with most of the posts, but especially related to this. A physician is fully within his rights to deny care to patients he doesn't feel comfortable with, and I don't understand why any parent would have a problem with that. Don't parents want to agree on preventative treatments with the person who is caring for their children?</div><div>
    </div><div>Physicians have a duty to protect their patients as much as possible and non-vaccinated children pose a risk to other children. Physicians also have a duty to protect themselves, their practice and their staff from unnecessary lawsuits that are so prominent these days. If a physician doesn't feel that a patient will take his advice and thus puts themselves or their children in risky health situations, I think he would be an idiot not to ask them to find other care. A doctor may also face legal suits if other children become sick in his waiting room because he refused to drop non-vaccinated children as patients.</div><div>
    </div><div>Yes, it's sad that the child will not get the care they deserve, but you can only blame the parents for that. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards