Chit Chat

I wonder if this is okay?

I don't want to have a first dance or daddy daughter dance at my wedding. The thought of the whole room watching us by ourselves is not something I am fond of. Most of my guest aren't big on dancing so at my reception I was going to have a small space for dancing if someone wanted to and I will have music the whole time. I am just not sure. My wedding is at 2 in the afternoon and my reception will be from 2:30 to 4 so I don't think anyone will be in a "party" mood at that time. Any advice? Thank you

Re: I wonder if this is okay?

• It's fine, but could you at least get the dancing started by going out on the dance floor area with your new husband? Have your DJ or MC or whoever invite the guests to join you and maybe get your parents and friends to help lead the way. I feel like people might not dance even if they want to if the bride and groom don't 'open the floor' so to speak.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_i-wonder-if-this-is-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:b7953dad-8a80-41cd-b4cb-596fa415b551Post:a3060e88-a7b3-4385-9025-7ae2fe4660b8">Re: I wonder if this is okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's fine, but could you at least get the dancing started by going out on the dance floor area with your new husband? Have your DJ or MC or whoever invite the guests to join you and maybe get your parents and friends to help lead the way. I feel like people might not dance even if they want to if the bride and groom don't 'open the floor' so to speak.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  You could also invite your WP to dance with you to get things started :)

• My cousin's father passed away a few years ago, so instead of having a F/D dance, she and her H danced to the song she would have chosen, and invited everyone else on to the floor as well, to join them.  It opened up the dancing, and it was really sweet.  If you don't want to have a special dance, I would suggest picking a special song and having the DJ invite everyone to join you.  That will start things off.  GL!

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I don't see any issues with it, just be sure your DJ/MC knows that you and your husband don't want the 'first dance' going on... you might also want to have it announced after the cake cutting that the dance floor is open for any who wish to kick up their heels.
  • We're having a 2pm reception and we're not having a dance at all, and we're not doing father daughter or first dance at the reception. if you are having a dance though, I agree with pps that you should be the first on the dancefloor with your hubby :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank ya'll so much I didn't want to have dancing but I really did think I had to. It all stems from not wanting the attention from everyone. I mean I know they will be looking when I get married but I will have my sister and best friends with me plus family. I also have a daddy and stepdad and an uncle who all played very important roles in my life and I didn't want to pick one over the other(they are all walking me down the isle) I feel so much better than I did. Ya'll are the best ever!

• You could do a bridal party dance. My wedding was at 1pm, reception 2:30-6ish(at least that's how long we stayed. Our guests stayed well after we left!) and in our video, it showed several guests on the dance floor non-stop. And most in that group were people I thought wouldn't dance anything faster than a 4/4 time!

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • You don't have to have any dancing at all. I can't imagine that your guests would mind, especially at that time in afternoon.

Have you talked to your dad about skipping the daddy daughter dance? I think it would be nice to let him know well in advance so that he's not surprised by it. I mentioned that I was thinking about skipping first dances and my dad looked so dissappointed that I'm keeping it. I think it was one of the things that he was most looking forward to at my wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards