Michigan-Detroit

NWR: HS Reunions

My 10 yr reunion is this weekend. I'm skipping it since I live so far away, but I think that even if I did live in MI still I wouldn't bother.  There are actually 2 reunions on the same night like 100 yards from each other due to some immature HS drama that some folks apparently never outgrew, but I digress....

Did you/will you go to yours? I'm curious to see what your thoughts are. I feel like I won't be missing much since I am fb friends with a lot of HS people, and I am still very close with my core group of HS friends.

Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: HS Reunions

• edited December 2011
    I went to FI's reunion in June. It really wasn't any different than going to the bar on a Friday or Saturday. Most of his friends were there along with some random people (obviously they went to high school there). I had an awesome time. FI said it was fun...until some girl cornered him and started going off about how he used to call her fat and blah blah. I just don't think it was really worth the $$$ they had to pay. It was $50 and that included bottom, bottom shelf liquor and some late night snacks.

Now, for mine...I have another two years before I go to my reunion and I plan on either being KU'd or will just have had a baby. If none of those things happen, then I'll consider going. It all depends on where it is and how much it will cost. I'm very close with a bunch of friends still that I met in high school. And walking around telling people what's going on in my life and where I'm at is just not appealing to me, especially if I wasn't friends with them in HS to begin with (I realize this may sound mean, but I also don't care!). It's almost like you're trying to look like you care by asking, but you really don't. If I wanted to know what people in my class were doing with their lives, I would have been in touch with them...

Furthermore, I was a bit disappointed when I went to FI's reunion because it was the first reunion I had ever been to and I had alot of high expectations. I thought it would be like Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. I was bummed no one said they invented Post-Its or showed up in a helicopter. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Corinne - I'm totally with you, if we weren't even friends 10 years ago let's not make stupid small talk now.

My 10 year is this year. I'm not sure whether I'll be going or not. I'm waiting to see what they plan and make my decision from there. I kept up with very few people from HS and I keep in touch with a few more through FB but its not something that's very important to me to attend.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am actually in charge of planning ours. It's the last weekend in August.
    I personally think social networks like Facebook partly ruined the excitement to even want to attend a ten year reunion. I have heard of so many being cancelled.
    We had a small class of 100 students, and about 40 are attending. So, I'm pretty satisfied about the turnout considering FB and economical reasons that one might not attend.
  • edited December 2011
    We had a dinner and dancing type of reunion planned, and they cancelled it because not enough people bought tickets.  So then the committee planned a casual meet up reunion at The Post in Dearborn...about a week later another group planned the same type of reunion at Bailey's in Dearborn for the same night and time. it's ridiculous...but sadly typical

Brandy I totally agree with you about the social networking sites ruining the excitement. Maybe if they weren't around more reunions would be like Romy and Michelle's!
    Final Count 181! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I (reluctantly) went to my 10 year reunion. I had fun catching up - in person - with friends that had moved out of state since college and stuff like that. But, I agree with Brandi. I think the social networking sites sort of diminish the need or excitement of a reunion because you already know what people are up to now. I had a good time at mine, but I probably won't go to another one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My reunion is next weekend. I am going to some of the events but not all. it is expensive and I have to pay for FI too. Facebook has totally ruined my excitment but I still have to go I cant see not going to the reunion I am hoping to have a ball at the events that do attend.
  • larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my 10 year isn't until 2014 but I have no intentions of going. I wasn't super popular in high school and there's only a few people that I keep in touch with.  it's DEFINITELY not worth the cost of plane tickets home to Michigan for me and FI.  FI's will be in 2012 and I'd be surprised if he wants to go as well....
  • GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since I was home-schooled most of sophomore, junior and senior year, I likely wont get invited to mine. I wouldn't go either way, I hated HS.

It's hard to say if FI would want to go to his. Knowing him, he probably would to catch up with friends he hasn't talked to in those ten years since graduating. He doesn't belong to any of the social networking sites (well, he has a myspace he hasn't updated in a couple years), so it might be worthwhile for him to go.
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • edited December 2011
    I actually helped plan mine (last year).  We kept things casual and really low key - 'everybody show up to Harper's bar in East Lansing at 7p'.  We used events on Facebook and Classmates to get replies, made a reservation, everybody had separate checks, and it was quite honestly, a lot of fun.  I went to a pretty small school (only 120 in our graduating class from 2 towns) and got along with most everybody (and if not, it was 10 years ago, I've let it go by now).  It's a small farm town, and most everybody moved away after graduation.  Of course there were some people I kept up with (two of my bridesmaids), and some more through facebook, but it was really nice to sit down and chat in person with the others, meet their spouses, hear about their kids, things like that.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_nwr-hs-reunions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b97d2898-2576-4568-8ffe-2b55a9a5d32fPost:149e4cc2-44e0-4b41-abb6-a0147329afd3">Re: NWR: HS Reunions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am actually in charge of planning ours. It's the last weekend in August. I personally think social networks like Facebook partly ruined the excitement to even want to attend a ten year reunion. I have heard of so many being cancelled. We had a small class of 100 students, and about 40 are attending. So, I'm pretty satisfied about the turnout considering FB and economical reasons that one might not attend.
    Posted by brobin01[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you, Brandi!  I am planning ours right now.  I'm looking forward to it, but I loved high school and really do miss a lot of the people that I used to talk to.  Needless to say, I'll be going to mine!! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thumper1148Thumper1148 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not go to mine.  Had no desire to.  I hated high school.  I was the kid that everyone picked on.  I very rarely have people from high school try to contact me through facebook.  I never friend any of them.  If they couldn't be nice to me back in high school, why should I even give them a chance now.  I would much rather go out with my current friends and social group.

FI never went to his either.  He graduated in Indiana, but he has the same feeling I do about high school.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to mine a few years ago.  To me it wasn't really anything special. We went to Ballroom 56? in Novi.

I only went to school up here for my junior and senior year (Originally from GA). I don't know if I would have felt differently ie be more excited if I had gone to school for all 4 years here. I still talk to a lot of my friends from GA on FB and the few that I made here on FB as well.
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    edited December 2011
    My HS planned a 5 year reunion last year.  Yes that's right, 5 year reunion.  I thought it was the dumbest thing.  Seriously?  What do you talk about?  Oh, you graduated undergrad and are now in law/grad school/entry level job?  Me too!

I might go to the 10 year but probably not.  I really have no desire to hang out with the majority of people I went to highschool with.  If I wanted to stay in contact with them, I would have.

Although I think it might be fun to go to FI's 10 year (when it gets here.)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://detroit.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_nwr-hs-reunions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:b97d2898-2576-4568-8ffe-2b55a9a5d32fPost:8bcd716d-86ba-4e64-baa1-b3a356dca764">Re: NWR: HS Reunions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My HS planned a 5 year reunion last year.  Yes that's right, 5 year reunion.  I thought it was the dumbest thing.  Seriously?  What do you talk about?  Oh, you graduated undergrad and are now in law/grad school/entry level job?  Me too! I might go to the 10 year but probably not.  I really have no desire to hang out with the majority of people I went to highschool with.  If I wanted to stay in contact with them, I would have. Although I think it might be fun to go to FI's 10 year (when it gets here.)
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

I never understood the point of having a 5 year reunion. Most people are still in college or just graduating and looking for an entry level position.
  • leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a 5 year reunion, too, and I planned that one as well.  It was very laid back...at a pub, appetizers and drinks, pool, darts, etc.  We had about 65 people come out of a graduating class of 130ish. 

The point was just to get together, chit chat, and hang out.  Isn't that the point of all reunions? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_nwr-hs-reunions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b97d2898-2576-4568-8ffe-2b55a9a5d32fPost:7c4be0a7-17be-4776-b911-965a661e20a4">Re: NWR: HS Reunions</a>:
    [QUOTE]The point was just to get together, chit chat, and hang out.  Isn't that the point of all reunions? 
    Posted by leeshab1982[/QUOTE]
    Huh, I thought the point of the reunion was to see who got fat/peaked in highschool and to see who became really rich.

Oh wait, maybe that's just me?!  LOL
  • edited December 2011
    I went to mine in 2005, and had a great time.  I totally disagree with the whole "you didn't even talk to me in high school, why bother now" attitude--it has been ten years!  I HOPE that people can at least get over most of that drama, and have casual conversations with each other--and catch up with people that they do care about.  It was at a hotel, open bar and snacks, and while I don't remember the exact $, it wasn't bad.  But yes, that was five years ago, before the social network sites were big.

However, I had just starting dating my (now husband), and I was living in California, so it was a great excuse to come back and see him too!  That was probably the best part, ha ha!
  • Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to mine and had a good time.  This was before fb was out so I hadn't really seen or talk to a lot of ppl since hs.  I've stayed in touch with ppl since then and now that fb is out there we can regularly keep up with each other.  Had it been in the last 2 or 3 yrs I probably wouldn't have gone because of fb.  I think it was over priced for the venue but with an open bar can't complain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll offer a different perspective. I graduated 37 years ago from an all girls Catholic HS. It ceased to exist 10 years after we graduated.

I am still friends with many of them. I helped to plan the 5, 10, 15 and 20 yr reunions. We had a different experience than probably everyone else here.

I LOVED MY REUNIONS. All of these women were like my sisters.

I know it's different if you graduated in a large class with both males & females. I think it's important to go, but that's just me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards