New York-Western

Buffalo Bridal Shops

Hey everyone,
This is my first post.  I am starting to research bridal shops in Buffalo, NY for my june 2012 nuptials.  I am wondering which shops would be reccommended.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Buffalo Bridal Shops

• AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ladies at MA Carr are wonderful! I got my dress there during the sample sale. I'm also getting my alterations done there and its coming out great and the alterations were surprisingly reasonable.
  • edited December 2011
    That is the one place that I have heard nothing but good things!  Do you know what the prices of their dresses range from?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AeroStyleAeroStyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they start around 700 or so. Since you have a lot of time before your wedding I would suggest waiting for their sample sale in October. All the dresses were 199!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MA Carr and Bridal Chateau have some gorgeous dresses.  I'd reccomend going to both of those places.

do a google map search for bridal salons, and then visit each store's website to see what designers they carry.  I was drawn to Mori Lee and Casablanca gowns -- so I was sure to visit the salons that carried those designers first =)

all the stores around here seem to be in the $500-1500 range (at least what i've been looking at)

fall styles are starting to come out. and a lot of places are starting to have sample sales. so, call and do your research! =)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-western_buffalo-bridal-shops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:622Discussion:a382588b-2320-4dca-a0e9-477646be01d3Post:dbbbc50b-7bd8-4ce9-aad1-0d7db4539d6d">Re: Buffalo Bridal Shops</a>:
    [QUOTE]The ladies at MA Carr are wonderful! I got my dress there during the sample sale. I'm also getting my alterations done there and its coming out great and the alterations were surprisingly reasonable.
    Posted by AeroStyle[/QUOTE]

i had a horrible experience at MA Carr.  i went in, with an appointment.  the sales woman barely wanted to give me the time of day (that i want in with jeans and a hoodie on?  perhaps.).  then, i saw someone i know who was with another bride and it came out that i am an attorney.  then the sales people fell all over me and kissed my a$$.

i feel like they are very pretentious. 

on the other hand...LOVE LOVE LOVED bridal chateau - i can't say enough about the great experience i have had (and continue to have) with them
    edited December 2011
    i feel like you're going to have good and bad reviews at a lot of places just by having various personalities or good days/bad days.  i've heard about bad experiences at just about every salon....but my encounters have been fantastic...and i've visited almost all the area stores. 

the things that mattered most to me are quality and variety of dresses, quality of alterations, and ease of transactions.  the only salon i didn't like so far is davids bridal. they seem to have the cheaper-made dresses with very little variety -- even though their prices are the same as other stores.  not to mention once you get on their phone list they keep bugging you for updates and trying to get you back in the store. just my opinion though. some brides love that place!
  • MrsPawlak2BMrsPawlak2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Bridal Chateau!!  Have nothing but good things to say...
    8/6/11 ~ Happily Ever After!
  • stacious017stacious017 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bridal Chateau was great. I was nervous because of the negative reviews but the woman that worked with me (wish I remembered her name) was wonderful! She listened to what I was looking for and made suggestions. I was an easy person to please because I knew exactly what I wanted. However, she was patient and I never felt rushed or overwhelmed. Bridal Chateau has a lot of selection and a variety of styles and designers. I went into David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo to look at bridesmaids dresses and wasn't really impressed. Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    I actually had a bad experience at the Bridal Chateau - the dresses were great, but the person who took care of me was rushing me. However, they were definitely busy that day, so I don't know that that is characteristic of their service. I got my dress from David's Bridal and had a good experience. I have also heard good things from MA Carr. 
  • edited December 2011
    I ended up buying my dress out of town, but I did try on dresses at MA Carr and Bridals by D.  I found the selection to be much better at MA Carr, but the service was slow and disorganized.  The service at Bridals by D was awkward and uncomfortable.  Depending on your budget, I might recommend trying some of the shops in the Rochester area - Juliana's, Susan Deborah, Jacqueline's.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress and all of the WP dresses at Bridals by D.  Loved it!  You really have to go there as they carry a lot of designs that the designers don't post online (so that others can't steal the design).  When picking your dress store you have to consider the full package.  I've had friends who got a good deal on the dress but the alterations were not so great.

I've gotten a BM dress for wedding I'm in this weekend at MA Carr, wasn't impressed.  I've gotten several BM dresses at David's and I personally don't like the store.  It's a good option for brides on a budget, but the dresses just seem cheap and poorly made to me and the service is mediocre.  
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • edited December 2011
    I had a terrible experience at David's. My experience ordering our bridesmaid dresses from MA Carr was great. They seem to have a very good selection.

I actually ended up getting my dress in Rochester. I had an AWFUL experience at Susan Deborah. They basically just pushed me out of the store before I looked at anything. I got my dress at Peggy's which had a good selection and good service. Unfortunately, since buying the dress I've had an awful experience with Peggy's. I was told my dress would be in at the end of April. It's now June and still no dress. I called the first week of may and the woman told me that the dress company was behind schedule but she was trying to get it in by the end of may. So, last week I call and theres no record of this April ship date or the phone call in May. I was pretty much told that none of that happened and that it was a June 15th ship date the whole time. Nobody thought to tell me this though. Anyways, enough ranting.

I also had a good experience at Enchanted Evening in Rochester. Nice selection, great service.
  • edited December 2011
     I bought my dress at MA Carr,  the service was a little slow but no one was rude or nasty.  The service was a little slow because there were other brides getting fitted and I was just waiting to get measures.  I also had good experiences at Bridal Chateau and Victoria's Bridal in Williamsville.  I found dresses that I loved at all of those salons but really loved the dress at MA Carr.  I do not recommend Classic Bridal  in Cheektowaga.

• edited December 2011
    I bought my dress from MA Carr and have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experience there!  Everyone was so helpful and fun.  They have a huge selection and were very patient with me and gve me wonderful ideas too!!!  I love it there!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This is really helpful, thanks everyone!
    I tried making an appointment at MA Carr, but their phone line was busy and after trying for a half an hour I gave up for the day. 

I went to Alfred Angelo in Rochester and actually had a good experience there, the woman was extremely patient and helpful.  She listened to everything I said.  Her name was Lisa.  I also went to Bella You in Rochester.  The place looked like a hole in the wall, but they actually had really nice dresses from some pretty good designers like Anjoilique.  The service was just average.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I also would recommend Bridal by D!  The service I got there was a notch above Bridal Chateau.  Their dresses are so beautiful there and I felt I got very honest feedback, not just hearing what you want to hear.
    edited December 2011
    i dont mean to steal the thread...but does anyone know where the best alterations are?  I have a feeling i'm going to be buying my dress at bridal chateau, but i've heard mixed reviews on their alteration department..... not to mention they seem skeptical to be able to turn Mori Lee #2302 into a sweetheart neck. has anyone bought from one store, and altered at another?
  • stacious017stacious017 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    gymbugmj2k- I am worried about having alterations at bridal chateau for the same reason. However, it surprises me that they were skeptical about making your sweetheart neck. The woman who does alterations actually suggested it to me as an option when I was trying on my dress. Thankfully I do not need much to alter for my dress so I may just have them do it.
    edited December 2011
    stacious - the woman who helped me wasn't a seamstress --- so i'm going back to ask someone else there. "my dress" has vertical pleats on the bust - which shouldn't be TOO hard to do...but on the sample (which is one size too small), there's only about 4 inches to mess with until you hit beading...and it might be too low on me - definitely don't want the girls saying hi! =) 

i'm sure people have had good and bad experiences everywhere... i do have a tailor who has done pants/shirts of mine, and a formal dress....but i'm worried about using her since she won't be able to see the dress unless i purchase it! 

i'm terrified of buying this dress, having chateau alter it, and mess it up. just my own paranoia i suppose. haha
  • edited December 2011
    gymbug - i can let you know :)  i have my next fitting on 6/13/11 and i will let you know how the alterations are going :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also looking for a place to have my alterations done.  I bought my dress at Victoria's in Williamsville but heard their alterations are expensive.  I've asked around at a few places and keep hearing the same thing.. if you didn't buy your dress here, we won't alter it (but they'll alter BM dresses from anywhere).

I did find a place on Military and their website says not to pay for overpriced hems at the bridal shops.  I haven't called them yet, but I'm hoping they have good prices.  Anybody used Marlene's Special Occasion Dresses for alterations?  If anybody wants it, their number is 297-8311.
  • edited December 2011
    I had my alterations done at Bridal Chateau and everything turned out great!  I did have one concern and the seamstress was willing to make everything perfect!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards