Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

ugh!

So I never thought it could happen to me......but I was let go from my job last friday. I have been in shock and pretty depressed. I was a VERY successful pharmaceutical representative. I was terminated but not given much of a reason why, I am still waiting to speak with HR. All I was told was that it was part of a random audit and I was found in violation and its policy to terminate me. No warning at all. I had great quarterly reviews, my numbers were great, I was ranked high. I made great money and had a company car. Now....nothing. We close on our first house the end of this month and are getting married in september (paying for wedding ourselves). I just feel lost and devasted. I contacted everyone i know, sent out my resume, recruiters, applied for lots of jobs on over the weekend. I know i will be okay and this is just a bump in the road but its hard to feel that way right now. Thanks for listening to my pity party and any advice would be great!

Re: ugh!

• Options
    simoniksimonik member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Thinking of you lots! Losing your job so unexpectedly sucks to begin with but when the timing is bad --- I CANNOT imagine. Vent away. Sending you positive job finding thoughts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope things work out for the best for you! <3
  • Options
    Definitely not a pitty party. You have every right to feel the way you do. I am praying it all begins to work out well . You have a lot of major milestones approaching. Rants are understandable. They definitely need to tell you why they terminated your employment. you have a right to know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry! Sending hugs your way ! I hope you get answers soon.
  • Options
    Wow.  That sucks!  I'm so sorry.  i hope things get straightened out for you.
  • Options
    Hang in there, lady! I sent positive thoughts your way. *hugs*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Stay positive...you have so many great things headed your way.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It helps to hear these things :)
  • Options
    Oh no!  That is awful!  When things like this happen i just keep tell myself that things happen for a reason.  Good luck and I'm sure it will work out!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    oh crap - that is what we call bad timing - definitely go to HR and see what can be done - they should at least give you some compensation? Sounds like you will be just fine but I can imagine the panic - i got laid off in March but luckily i saw it coming so wasn't as shocked, but even then when it does happen it throws you for a loop. You will be just fine - this is just a blip in the road - and a new job along with the new husband and new house all point to a new chapter!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So sorry-- A recuriter will be your best bet probably right now. I hope everything works out for you. Hugs to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Beyond having a valid reason, they need super good documentation to justify it.  HR will know more.  I agree with Amber.  Things happen for a reason.  Something better will come along!
  • Options
    Ive asked HR for everything in writing and they wont do it! i feel lost
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_ugh-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:aabd2a61-f998-4d9b-8d81-c9efeafde3a4Post:9f9fe34a-45ef-4fa3-afb7-aff0f82bf9e1">Re: ugh!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ive asked HR for everything in writing and they wont do it! i feel lost
    Posted by sarahgirl2[/QUOTE]

what??? That seems...illegal...i'm not sure what the laws are in the US versus Canada, but if they are refusing you paperwork etc is there a government body you can approach for help? Or legal aid for advice?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SuperStewSuperStew member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    Oh no! So sorry to hear your news! Know that you are surrounded by family, a fiance and friends who care about you! Everything happens for a reason, and this bad situation will pass. There will be brighter days. But IMO, you ABSOLUTELY are owed a valid reason for termination--especially if they are saying that you have violated some company policy! I agree with PP that this sounds illegal! I'd demand PROOF of the supposed violation, as well as WRITTEN CONFIRMATION OF THE COMPANY POLICY! Do not allow them to walk all over you, especially during a time of vulnerability! GOOD LUCK SWEETIE!
    {Formally Hiltonsgirl}
  • Options
    Hugs hugs and more hugs! 
  • Options
    If they won't put something in writing it does sound like they might be at fault here, seek some employment law advice. Wish you loads of luck!! x
  • Options
    Update: Ive spoked with HR. They wont provide me with anything in writing. No proof. No validation. I live in Ohio and we are an at will state so I guess they dont have to really even tell me why they terminated me, let alone provide anything in writing. Unfair but there is nothing I can do at this point.
  • Options
    that is just crazy to me, that doesn't happen in Canada - there is a standard 3 month probationary period during which time you can leave a position with no notice and the employer can let you go without notice, but after that 3 months it becomes much harder to let someone go, and certainly not without paid notice or even severence depending on how long :(

This link does give a few "outs" not sure if any of them apply to your situation, though sometimes it's just easier to move on, sorry this is happening

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-436.aspx
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SuperStewSuperStew member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    Wow. Listen, I am NOT trying to stir the pot, and you are a grown woman, free to do what you see fit. But just something to make you say "Hmmmm"....In my industry, there are so many of us (airline) that management often tries to intimidate. They would love to get rid of someone in my shoes (longevity) and replace me with someone at starters pay! We are union, (which I often find useless!) but it seems that whenever anyone has an issue such as yours (being penalized or terminated to what appears to be unfairly) the problem always seems to suddenly go away, the moment the word ATTORNEY enters the conversation! I'm not familiar with the laws of Ohio, so it may not help. But if I were in your shoes...I would call HR again and once again ask about the written company policy, etc. If you get the same lame excuses, I would calmly and confidently say, "Ok, thank you. I think at this point it would be best if I consult my attorney and then get back to your office--Thank you again, you have a nice day." Click. Hang up before their head stops spinning. Throwing the intimidation right back at them---ESPECIALLY if they are doing someone wrong, illegal, or shady, may make them back down and start cooperating with you! You don't even have to actually call an attorney. But standing up to them and putting some fear in their pockets, might make them flinch! Big companies, who are hiding something, don't want you telling your story to the tv news channel, etc, causing negative press. Just a thought. Again--not trying to rawl you all up. I just see it as, Do nothing--no job. Do something--get answers, get severance, get fairness, and maybe...get my job back! 6 years ago, my airline was using defective coffee bags. They were popping during the brew cycle, burning the flight attendants. Well, I was one of the first people to get hurt. (or at least who reported it, rather than just go home and put ice on it) I had 3rd degree burns on my FACE! They attempted to blame ME and avoid paying my medical bills! (I must not have had the bag in correctly.) I got fed up, called an attorney--and suddenly they were willing to work with me! At the end of the day, along with paying the bills--they had to stop using those coffee bags, and create a barrier on the coffee maker to help prevent others from getting hurt! I know this is an injury VS a termination. But the point is--they tried to frustrate me to the point where, they hoped I'd just give up. I didn't! And it was worth it! (side bar--my face, thank God, is 99% healed, and my coworkers have affectionately nick-named the new barrier on the coffee maker after me! The "Yates Gates" lol) GOOD LUCK with however you decide to handle it!
    {Formally Hiltonsgirl}
  • Options
    i live in cali which is a at will state yep its a pain but i would consult an attorney anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards