Christian Weddings

QOTW - 7/21 - Will you/Did you let him

see your dress before the big day?

Since today is my fitting and I'm at home watching "Say Yes To the Dress"  I noticed that several of the brides brought their grooms with them.  This used to be considered taboo, now it seems to common for some.  How about for you?

My other half hasn't seen my dress.  Other than my MOH, my Mom's twin sister who went with me to pick it, and a cousin who also helped me pick it, no one has actually seen me in it.  Not sure if I really think much about the whole bad luck thing - just kind of want to surprise him I guess as I walk down the aisle.  So I guess I'm traditional in this sense...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: QOTW - 7/21 - Will you/Did you let him

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    He hasn't, and he doesn't want to see it.  Mom, Grandma, and I went dress shopping when we were home for Spring Break.  FI went home with me, but he spent time with Dad and my brothers while we were gone.  The only guy who has seen the dress is Dad.  We're not doing a "first look"...we have plenty of time for pics after the ceremony, and we want to keep the tradition of not seeing each other until the ceremony begins.  I know what his tux will look like, but he told me to pick it. (He's colorblind and really doesn't know what color he's wearing)  Although, I've never understood why it was "okay" for me to know what he was wearing, but not for him to see my dress/me in my dress.  Just one of those confusing superstitions. :)

RE: SYTTD- Personally, the episodes with the fiances usually irritate me.  Especially the ones who tell the girls that they hate the dress the girl loves.  Part of me just wants to ask them..."If you didn't see the dress beforehand, and she got up to the altar in that dress, would you tell her, 'I hate that dress.'?"
  • edited December 2011
    Soooo tempting, but, no, he won't see it until we get together for pictures (which we're doing beforehand because we like efficiency and find it annoying when people do pictures after the ceremony). I had my dress made by the wife of one of my elders, so he and his wife have seen it (he came out to see it when I had my final fitting yesterday) and my mum has seen pictures of it, but that's it for now. On Friday, when my mum gets into town, I will show her the final product properly. But FH has indicated that he definitely wants to wait until our wedding day to see it (he wants the surprise of the moment - we are both agreed that the superstition is silly).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He does not want to see me at all before the ceremony (the day of the wedding). He wants what I look like to be a surprise. You know that whole romantic first look as she walks down the aisle towards him. Somehow I will have to keep him from seeing my dress. The night before we will have to be staying in separate homes to pull this off.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not a chance. Only my mom and dad have seen my dress.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH did not see my dress before I walked down the aisle.  For me it was not really about the superstition as much as it was about me wanting him to see me for the first time as I walked down the aisle.  One of my favorite moments in every wedding is seeing the expression on the groom's face as his bride walks down the aisle.  In fact, while everyone is looking at the bride, I'm usually looking at the groom.  So I wanted that moment for myself. 

Very few people had seen me in the dress before the big day.  It was basically just mom and my bridesmaids (2 sisters, cousin, 2 nieces).  Then a bunch of people saw me after I got ready because we did pictures of the girls before the wedding. 

Our pictures with family after the wedding (while most guests were at the "cocktail hour") only took about 20 minutes.  Then DH and I were alone with the photographer for about another 20 minutes.  I don't think my guests minded that at all.
  • edited December 2011
    He accidently saw pictures of my fitting on my mother's computer.  But it didn't bother me.  It's not the same as it will be the day of the wedding.  I'll have makeup on, my hair done up, and with my veil.  It's so different.

We're doing all our pictures before the ceremony so we can be free to go to the reception right after.  We're going to have a 'first look' and I am so happy!

• edited December 2011
    My husband (eee!) didn't see my dress until I walked down the aisle.  I love the tradition of not seeing each other that day until you meet at the altar.  

Only a few people saw my dress before the wedding, and I was also glad to have that bit of suspense in the day for the guests. 
  • TimsGirl10TimsGirl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, he won't see it til the wedding!!  I have him totally thrown off too- we were flipping through bridal magazines last night and I was showing him all these dresses (basically every other dress out there, as my dress's neckline is somewhat unique) and asking him if he would "like it if my dress looked like this??"  Of course, they were all strapless or v-neck with lots of cleavage showing, which he highly frowns upon.  He was a little dsappointed and said "Yeah, I don't think I would like it very much!"  Hahahaha.....he has NO clue and I love it!!
    Photobucket March 2011 September Siggy Challenge FAVORITE MOVIE BIO updated 8/15 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope, he won't.  Be he knows the designer.  I wrote in a journal entry (we're long distance, so I wrote the journal for him) that I was going to Priscilla of Boston to look at gowns for fun but I wasn't going to buy my dress from there.  But I ended up doing so.  I've prohibited from looking online at what their dresses are like!
  • edited December 2011
    He won't see me until the walk down the aisle. I'm somewhat traditional sometimes so i'm fine with that. I think it will be very romantic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've just started looking but he has made it known that he doesn't want to see me or the dress until the ceremony.  I think it's cute and look forward to the moment of us seeing each other when I step foot into the church.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

He will not see the dress before our wedding day!  I am traditional in this sense and am so looking forward to see the surprise on his face...

• edited December 2011
    Nope!  My best wedding gift will be seeing his face when I walk down the aisle.

While seeing the dress beforehand won't make him find you any less dreamy in it, it will be so special to take him completely by surprise.
  • rbtrumpetrbtrumpet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mom and MOH are the only people who will know what the dress looks like before the big day.

It's killing me - I'm not good w/ secrets!
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't sure what I wanted to do about this, but he has asked me to keep it secret! He wants to be surprised on that day, so that is what we are doing. It has been tough already!! I bought the dress while we were visiting my sister 4 hours away, so we had a looonnnggg trip home with me trying very hard to not say a word!!
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I let my FI see the pictures we took when I tried on dresses. I decided it was fine since they weren't actually "the dress" yet. He won't be seeing me or me in the dress until our "first look" before wedding pictures. Like some of you others, we don't want people to be waiting around while we have our pictures taken.
    imageAnniversary
  • KikoLoveAndiKikoLoveAndi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We might go for breakfast that morning but he wont see me in the dress till i walk down the aslie.  I cant wait to see the look on his face. ^_^
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards