Military Brides

Someone tell me I'm not nuts

So, FI's cousin and his wife were trying to get pregnant for a long time. She's a little older, almost 40, and he works out on the boats, so it's been difficult for them. They do already have a daughter who is FI's cousin's from a previous relationship, and the cousin has sole physical and legal custody, so the girl is, for all intents and purposes their daughter, but I know that the wife really does want to experience the whole pregnancy/giving birth shebang. So, they got preggers, which is awesome! We actually found out right after she did (their daughter is really close to FI and has a loud mouth), but it was kept on the deep down-low since.

Yesterday, she updated her Facebook that she's 17 weeks and they're expecting a little boy. I am over the moon for them, they're so happy. I wrote as such as a comment on the status, and then she sent me a FB message asking how we were and how the wedding plans were going. I told her that we had just set our date for November 3. After that, I got curious and went on Google to find out how long a full term pregnancy is (according to them, can be 37 weeks but up to 41), which means that according to them she'd be due sometime in August. While I realize that the world doesn't stop for a wedding, in my head I thought, "that's fantastic, that way the baby will be a few months old, which would probably make it a lot easier for them to come." While they are not super-VIPs that we checked with before setting a date, I know that FI really does want them there, so it seemed like it was all working out.

She messages me back and says something like "November 3, well, I'm due November 12, so we probably won't make it, but if you guys come down this way, we'd love to see you." Note: This line of thinking is totally cool. Of course if they can't make it and we have the time we'll come see them. Here's my confusion/where I think I'm nuts: If she's 17 weeks as of Friday, that's a little over 4 months, and November is still 8 months away. How can her due date be in November? This is an honest, maybe I'm doing math all wrong question.

It's the same think with people saying that Snooki is due December 21st, when she's allegedly already 3 months along. It just does not compute. 

Re: Someone tell me I'm not nuts

• You aren't nuts. Full-term is usually considered 40 weeks, but most doctors don't bat an eye at letting a mom wait til 42 weeks before inducing. If she's 17 weeks as of Friday, then, yes, she should be due sometime in August. (I'm not the best numbers person, so I actually got out a calendar and counted weeks.) I then thought maybe she fat fingered the 1 and meant 7 weeks and then I counted to the 42 week mark - still not Nov. 12. You could play preggers dumb and just ask her how long pregnancy is and other such pregnancy related questions that people don't think of asking until they or some they are close to gets pregnant. If that's not comfortable for you, just wait it out. Since you don't have a problem going to visit them after the baby is born and the vows have been said, you still have time to clear up confusions. And it could just be a case of baby-brain for her - you'd be surprised at the confusions of a pregnant lady (I made stereotypical blonds look smart!) Either way, you're not nuts, at least in this situation.

• LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    That's weird. Are you sure she didn't mistype a 7 instead of 17?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Haha you're not nuts, something is odd with this. She would have conceived mid to late January if she was due in November. The beauty of it is, whogivesafuck. Let is lie for awhile (I'm sure it'll straighten itself out somehow...), invite them and hope she learns how to read a calendar by then. Laughing 
  • It doesn't even make sense if she mistakes it for a 7 though because she found out the sex and that definitely happens at 17. Weird.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I would probably write back something like "Oh that stinks, I saw your status saying you were 17 weeks along so I figured you were due around August."  

Or you can be a smartass which I usually opt for and say "50 week gestation?  I didn't realize you were pregnant with a llama."  

Yes, I googled that.  No I don't know the gestation period of a llama off the top of my head.

Like Irish said though, there's nothing you can do about it now.  Shiit like that pisses me off though, just be an adult about it and say something like we're not sure how traveling will be that early but we'll see how it goes.  Either way they look like the idiots.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I like what beach said I also don't get why she'd lie if she is lying. Really?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_someone-tell-me-im-not-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:96dd155c-f9e6-46b5-9d5b-f9f46497a888Post:2f4dd623-801d-4df8-977c-8dc0305680e4">Re: Someone tell me I'm not nuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha you're not nuts, something is odd with this. She would have conceived mid to late January if she was due in November. <strong>The beauty of it is, whogivesafuck. Let is lie for awhile (I'm sure it'll straighten itself out somehow...), invite them and hope she learns how to read a calendar by then.</strong>   
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

LOL This.  I would just play dumb and say how are you due in Nov if you're 17 weeks?  I'd love to hear what she says. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_someone-tell-me-im-not-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:96dd155c-f9e6-46b5-9d5b-f9f46497a888Post:42d57d30-ec1a-42f1-ac30-ec3c164a6c5e">Re: Someone tell me I'm not nuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably write back something like "Oh that stinks, I saw your status saying you were 17 weeks along so I figured you were due around August."   Or you can be a smartass which I usually opt for and say "50 week gestation?  I didn't realize you were pregnant with a llama."  <strong> Yes, I googled that.  No I don't know the gestation period of a llama off the top of my head. </strong>Like Irish said though, there's nothing you can do about it now.  Shiit like that pisses me off though, just be an adult about it and say something like we're not sure how traveling will be that early but we'll see how it goes.  Either way they look like the idiots.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]
    I snorted.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_someone-tell-me-im-not-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:96dd155c-f9e6-46b5-9d5b-f9f46497a888Post:42d57d30-ec1a-42f1-ac30-ec3c164a6c5e">Re: Someone tell me I'm not nuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably write back something like "Oh that stinks, I saw your status saying you were 17 weeks along so I figured you were due around August."  <strong> Or you can be a smartass which I usually opt for and say "50 week gestation?  I didn't realize you were pregnant with a llama."</strong>   Yes, I googled that.  No I don't know the gestation period of a llama off the top of my head. Like Irish said though, there's nothing you can do about it now.  Shiit like that pisses me off though, just be an adult about it and say something like we're not sure how traveling will be that early but we'll see how it goes.  Either way they look like the idiots.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

I laughed really loud. Enough that my cat ran away from me in fear.
  • I wouldnt worry too much about it... it is probably just pregnancy brain and nothing personal.
    Photobucket
  • ZeldakinsZeldakins member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    Well...I wouldn't be surprised if she made a mistake. My aunt did the same exact thing. Of course, she was also about to have her 3rd consecutive baby in 3 years. Give her the benefit of the doubt, but if you feel up to it ask her about it and how that's possible kinda like how beach said earlier.

P.S. You're not nuts :)
  • Obviously I don't know your FI's cousin but I highly doubt pregnancy brain causes someone to forget when they're supposed to give birth
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks guys, this thread made me snort-laugh. 
    Hike--That was the exact same thought process I had. "Maybe she lost the first pregnancy we knew about and is pregnant again and it's seven weeks. But, wait, how would she know the sex. This doesn't make sense."

I will of course still send them all an invite, actually by the time invitations go out the baby will probably be here, assuming it is not, in fact, a llama (I was thinking elephant, but that's too long, llama is perfect). I don't think there's any ill will there, and I certainly understand not wanting to travel four hours by car/a short plane ride with what would be a 3 month old, so I'm just going to let it go. But I just thought that was a bit weird. 
  • Hopefully she doesn't panic and think her baby is 3 months premature when she goes in to labor in August Wink
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think elephants have a 2 year gestation.  Ask her if she's having an elephant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards