New York-Long Island

delayed reception-- Need help with the ceremony

We are getting married in 10weeks... We do not want a church wedding, or an outdoor wedding... we have a few venues that will let us have a ceremony as long as I book the reception sometime this year. I have 2 problems...

my first problem is... what to do with the guests after the ceremony. What can I do, that won't be tacky. I dont want my guests feeling like they came to see us get married for a half hour then its all over. most places do not offer anytime with the guests after the ceremony. No cake, no drinks, nothing.

However, there is one place that is willing to give us a ceremony/cocktail party for 75people (local family and closest friends) for $3500. But this brings me to my second problem...It is a bit pricey for what we are looking for in just 10weeks. Although it would be perfect to have a small celebration with our guests for 2hrs after the ceremony. Plus it would just cost me more money to take them all out to a restaurant. And we don't have enough space in anyones house to hold the number guests for a small celebration.

The reason we are doing a delayed reception is bc we want to have our specific date but we both have family members that live in other states and can only make it here during the summer.

Should I pay the extra money and have a nice ceremony/cocktail event or should I just find a ceremony only site and then have my guests leave knowing that there will be a reception in the summer.

Thoughts, ideas, any HELP would be appreciated!

Re: delayed reception-- Need help with the ceremony

• edited December 2011
    However, there is one place that is willing to give us a ceremony/cocktail party for 75people (local family and closest friends) for $3500. But this brings me to my second problem...It is a bit pricey for what we are looking for in just 10weeks. Although it would be perfect to have a small celebration with our guests for 2hrs after the ceremony. Plus it would just cost me more money to take them all out to a restaurant. And we don't have enough space in anyones house to hold the number guests for a small celebration.

Do this. Who ever can come, can come and that's it. Have one wedding day and be done with it and enjoy your day. There is nothing wrong with only having a cocktail reception. Believe me, I even went to a wedding on a Tuesday and OOT guests came.
    Or move your wedding date. Have it on one day so people can actually SEE you get married since that is the whole cause for the celebration.
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011

i'm not being snarky here really-you get ONE day. your wedding and 'party' are on the same day-not months and months later.  move the wedding date to have ceremony and reception on the same day OR just accept it that people won't be able to attend.

• AnnaR29AnnaR29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Find an open space that you can rent for a couple of hours.  You can go to BJ's get some cases of wine and beer and some appetizers.  Put on some music and dance.  A friend of mine did this and it was great and really cheap.  You could even go crazy and make cupcakes as a dessert.  
    February 20th I marry my best friend. My heart hasn't stopped smiling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards