Snarky Brides

Should I be gracious or pissed?

Grrrr

A month ago, FMIL tells us that "Aunt Tere" is making wine bottle holders to put on the tables at the wedding. FI and I groan and say heck no! Tell her there's no space on the table for them (seriously... with plates, multiple glasses, centerpieces and appetizers, it ain't gonna fit)

Even after she was told not to, this morning I see a few dozen wine bottle holders sitting in my FMIL's living room.

Not sure what to think... kind of a nice gesture, but every other family member ASKED how they could contribute, what we needed, etc.

It's a nice gesture, but I'm kinda pissed that she doesn't seem to care about what we really wanted!

They're not hideous or anything, so I'm trying to see if there's some way we could use them as favors, or bridal shower favors, or something! Clueless ...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should I be gracious or pissed?

• I'd go with graciously telling her thanks, but you're not using them, if you don't want to use them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Since you already saw them but only saw about a dozen, could you give them away at the rehearsal somehow?

• I think trying to use them is a good idea,but if you can't you can't.I would just be nice and let her down easy.
    image 76 Invited
    image 51 Ready to Party
    image 13 missing out
    image 12 need to hurry up!
    RSVP Date:November 1
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
  • Since you told them no long before all this work was done I'd say you're well within your rights to say "Oh FMIL, They are Gorgeous! (and a lot more fawning over how beautiful they are), but as we've said before there is simply no way for us to use them.  I'm sorry Auntie went to all this trouble for nothing."
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • You can be pissed... to yourself.  I'd be gracious and apologetic to her face, though.
    panther
  • I'd find a way to use them, either by giving them out at the RD, giving them out at a shower, or putting them on a display table at the reception for people to take home.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd probably see if you can use them at the RD, otherwise I agree with Betrothed's fawning and declining idea.
  • Gracious is the way to go.  At least she's trying to help, that's more than a lot of brides get.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone for the advice!!! I'll probably end up using them to give away at the mixed shower or the rehearsal. (there just aren't nearly enough to use them as wedding favors!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Exactly what e-thug said...she knows everything!
  • Have you talked to Aunt Tere? She may not have a clue that you told FMIL no thanks...make sure you let her down just as easily.
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • FMIL did talk to Aunt Tere (she see's her almost daily)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What the heck is a wine bottle holder?
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I wish I could explain (first time I've ever seen them too).

These ones are kind of like brown wicker baskets on a cylindrical shape, with a little pink flower. Not my taste, but surprisingly not hideous, either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    Is Aunt Tere going to be at the wedding? Have you told her your not using them? If you use them for the RD (and Aunt Tere isn't at the RD)  and you give them away then she might be a little upset when she gets to the wedding and there not on the tables. I would either you or your FI talk to Aunt Tere and say how get they are but  they won't fit on the tables , or whatever excuse you feel like is appropriate. Then you can tell her your going to use them for RD or bridal shower, or what not and  that your going to let everyone take one home so they can go to good use.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards