May 2011 Weddings

Happy Tuesday!

Hello ladies!! 

Today is my day off. Woohohooo! 
I need to do lots and lots of cleaning. This house is a mess. Friday DH's aunt and cousins are coming tospend the night. We're having girls night (DH won't be here) then Saturday we're going shopping. yay! So cleaning is a must. 

Yesterday I was FB chatting with my one friend, and she asked me "Do you still talk to your The Knot friends?". I said "Heck yes I do! Even though I've never met any of them, those ladies are people I consider good friends of mine.".  Seriously, you girls are all amazing and I'm glad to have you all in my life.  :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
my read shelf:
Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Happy Tuesday!

• Awww, JLQ!

Good Morning,

I had an awesome weekend.  My best friends/MOH came in town and we hung out on Saturday.  All my friends are out of state, so it was great to see one of them.

I'm ready for it to be 5pm.  Time is going really slow right now.
    Married: 5.28.11

Updated 10/25/12:

[Blog]
  • Yay for the knottie love!  DH thought it was funny that half the people who liked my status last night about his fear of heights were knot friends.

jlq - have fun with girls night!  How many people will be there total?

Che - glad you had a great time!  And I agree about the 5pm thing even though it's only 10:30.

Today's my last day in the office and it's going extremely slowly.  My boss is in a terrible mood so I hope she stays in her office all day.  I don't need the negativity.  And I'm also on hold with our life insurance company trying to update our automatic payments.  DH and I finally combined our money a few months ago and this is the last remaining thing that needs to be changed over.  Hopefully I'm not on hold for very long.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • BB - We are like you. We each have our own accounts, then a join for bills and such. We really like it that way. It works well for us, and gives us each our "own" money to spend on whatever. 

LBV - There'll be 4 or 5 here, depending on how many of the cousins come. I know it will at least be his aunt and 2 of the girls, but I'm not sure about the third. I'm excited! Especially because otherewise I'd be here all alone Friday night since DH is going home to hunt Saturday morning. 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I think it works best for us because DH is not as careful as I am with money. When he has it, he wants to spend it. haha. So the joint account allows us (me) to make sure we have enough to pay our rent and all the bills, and then he still has money to use to buy things. We each put a set amount in it each pay. 

BB - I feel your pain on the making money thing. My new job pays crap, and I feel so poor all the time. I had to "borrow" money from our joint accont at the end of last month to cover my own account. ughhh. 
    my read shelf:
  • The biggest difference is that I feel like we are richer!  But seriously, I haven't really noticed a difference but maybe because we still have all our old bank accounts because we haven't closed them yet, and our mortgage payment hasn't been taken out yet Undecided

Once we get everything all situated we will have the following accounts:
    - Joint Checking
    - Joint Saving
    - Personal Checking for each of us
    - Other joint saving just for our e-fund (this is through an online bank which has a much higher savings rate)

The personal checking accounts are for our fun money so that we can spend it as we please without the other person (ahem me ahem) nit picking over every purchase.  We transfer our monthly amount on the first of the month and then you have it until it's gone.  We also think it will be easier when it comes to birthday/Christmas money to have separate accounts so that we can ensure we get to spend that how we want :)

We don't have a joint credit card but both of our CC bills come out of the joint checking.  We didn't really feel the need to get a joint card since we each have perks on the cards we have that we like/use.

To be honest, I'm not sure DH would have been as on board with the mostly joint everything if he hadn't taken a huge pay cut at work.  He was always funny about money but now that I'm actually making more than him, he started to see why it made sense.  He had always paid the larger bills (mortgage, electric, cable, phone, etc.) but it started to be more than he was bringing in and we both thought it was stupid for me to cut him a check every month or something similar.  Plus once we have kids, I think it'll be a lot easier.

And I was always a little stressball when it came to money so it's nice to have a clear picture of our finances.  Not that he was ever hiding anything or that I didn't trust him, I just like to see for myself what our accounts are looking like.

Ultimately you gotta do what's best for you.  I never really cared about separate/joint finances but it's what made the most sense for us.

May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • One thing to make sure is that you won't be charged for any of your accounts.  We ended up going with a completely new place because our old bank would charge us a monthly fee for our personal checking accounts because there is no way we'd be able to maintain the minimum for free checking.  So we looked into it and ended up opening brand new accounts at a credit union.

The online savings account is really awesome for our e-fund.  Since the concept is to be able to have instant access to the money, we wanted to ensure we could get the highest savings rate while not having the money tied up for a certain amount of time.  Our online account gives us .80% vs. our old bank which was .05%.  The difference is literally a couple hundred dollars every year.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • That sounds fun jlq!
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    Ugh.  I want to combine accounts but I really don't want one joint account that I then take out a certain amount and place it in my own account.  It feels like an allowance from my own money and that, well, makes me angry.

Currently, we each have our own checking accounts.  We each are responsible for our own cell phones, credit cards (Jay only), student loans (Jay only) and half rent.  I don't use Jay's credit card - that's his and has a small balance.  I don't have a credit card of my own, but that's whole OTHER issue.  Jay pays cable.  I do water and electricity.  I buy groceries and apartment things; Jay buys us dinners/drinks when we go out.  The rest is all off the good naturedness of each other.  There is no tit for tat or anything, but it works right now.  We also each have our own savings accounts plus one joint savings account.  We have a lot of farking accounts.

Unfortunately, I think we'd save a hellofalot more if we just went with one checking and one savings account.  I dunno.  I like being in control of money but I'll be far too anal if put in charge.  Jay's more loose with money and he'd be a mess at being in charge so... we're at an impasse.  Once we have a kid, buy a house, or move abroad, we'll probably shake up the financial situation. 
  • Joy - could you have joint accounts but not worry about the monthly "fun money"?  Just do what you currently do just with joint accounts rather than separate?
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • In Response to Re: Happy Tuesday!:
    BB - We are like you. We each have our own accounts, then a join for bills and such. We really like it that way. It works well for us, and gives us each our "own" money to spend on whatever.  Posted by jlq2005
    This is how we are.
    Married: 5.28.11

Updated 10/25/12:

[Blog]
  • I hate cleaning. I wish I had enough money to hire a cleaning lady. hahaha. That'd be the life! 
    my read shelf:
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Happy Tuesday!:
    Joy - could you have joint accounts but not worry about the monthly "fun money"?  Just do what you currently do just with joint accounts rather than separate?
    Posted by LaBellaVita23
    That would require each of us to "watch" how much money we spend.  I do it religiously for my own accounts (being a poor graduate student makes you watch your money like a haaawk! and I like a well-ordered spreadhsheet), but it's far too much for Jay.  That means that I'd have to be in charge - not just for the monthly fun money, but for paying each and every bill.  I just don't want to do that until it's necessary.

Jay's also very giving with money and will go over budget sometimes and I don't want to feel like his mother.  As long as he can pay his bills, I don't care much what he does with his money.  If we combine, then I'll have to start really caring and worrying about that.  I feel like with a house or a kid or a move abroad, we'll both understand what needs to be done, but until then, I'd like to live as freely as possible.  Let him spend it and have fun while he can.  We're still saving and doing just fine.

But, I'd be lying if I didn't cringe at the money we could be putting into savings if we joined accounts.  It wouldn't be vastly more than we do now, but I'm a hooooader of money.  I don't like spending it once I have it.  It's an addiction, I swear.
  • Even though I make less (like significantly less) than DH I am much more responsible with money.  We combined our accounts the day we got married and it has worked out great.  In 18 mos, I have managed to pay off 3 of DH's CC and both our cars.  I also have saved ~$10K from the day we got pregnant to cover the time that I wont be working.  By setting everything for auto bill pay and by having everything shared (and out in the open) we know what we have to spend and are more responsible with spending. 

DH has also gotten alot better about reckless spending as he has watched our savings grow.  It makes him want to spend less.  We still have fun, go out to eat, etc but watching our debt (mostly his) dwindle and our savings grow has felt pretty good as well.  The agreement we have is that we discuss any purchase over $100, so yesterday I went and got my hair cut, a pedicure and did a little shopping and didn't have to "ask" DH first. 

I also do not have a CC in my name although we have a joint one linked to our checking account as overdraft protection but never use it. DH has about 5-6 more CCs for us to pay off.  I do have my student loan to pay off and we have the wedding loan but everything is current and we are not behind on any payments.  DH used to wait until he got a late notice (including a late fee) before he paid bills.  I always paid the minimum on things because that was all I could afford.  Now that all our money has been combined I took what he was paying in late fees and added it to the payments and discovered how quickly things get paid off when you are not paying the late fee or just the minimum.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz
  • Group hug!

One of the first times Alex commented on my status H said, "Who's this Alex guy commenting?" Now every time he sees a name he doesn't recognize he asks if it's one of my knot girls.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • I LOVE GROUP HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love and hate cleaning with bleach. I love it because I know stuff's clean after I use it, but I hate it because then my hands smell like it all day. 

I like ham. 

/end random comments. 
    my read shelf:
  • Hi friends.  I think of you all as my close friends as well.  I talk to you girls more than I do my in-person friends, ha!

DH and I have all separate accounts.  We each have our own checking/savings accounts and separate credit cards.  We each have our own bills that we are responsible paying (we divided those up).  I put him on my health/dental/vision insurance through work.  He put me on the car insurance (bundled with the house insurance, ring insurance....).  I actually just completed my life insurance (DH got life insurance for himself when he was like 20).  I had to have a life insurance physical (height, weight, draw blood, pee in a cup, and basically sign away my life on all of the forms).  Sooo glad that is over and I am insured).

We may combine accounts when we have kids and if I stay at home.  For now, this works for us and I like it. 
    Anniversary
  • Ugh I hate bleach.  I refuse to clean with it because I can't stand the smell.  Blegh.  My dream in life is to be able to afford a cleaning lady.  Also, I hate ham.

Joy - that makes sense.  I'm with you on hoarding my money, it's a problem sometimes.

uneek - DH does the same thing :)

rschuck - the life insurance process was awful, I hated the entire concept of it but am so thankful we have it now. 
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • @LBV:  It was an awful process!  They want to know EVERYTHING about you and your body.  I am very healthy person and I hated the thought of it.  I was a little paranoid that they would come back and say I had cancer or some terminal illness, lol.  So glad that it is over and done with!  It's definitely a good idea but I cringed at the process... 

One last thing I'll mention about life insurance....I did this at probably the worst time (most stressful time); in the middle of buying a house (and getting ours ready to sell) and very busy time at work.  We had to do it then because I had just turned 31 but started the process while I was still 30; had to lock down a lower rate!  I was so stressed.  Luckily I got a good rate and it all worked out.
    Anniversary
  • I hate grocery shopping. I always spend too much money. Then I get home and realize I forgot something. Ugh. 

I'm SO excited because they are building a Sheetz across from our grocery store!! I can't wait until it is done and open!!! I miss Sheetz. Specifically, I miss their hot chocolate. yum. 
    Also, we'll apparently be able to use our gas rewards from the grocery store there. Double win. 
    my read shelf:
  • We seriously considered hiring a cleaning service for once a month.  Seriously considered it.  But, in the end, I like hoarding money.  Haha.

I've never been to a Sheetz.  I drove by some this weekend when I went to my cousin's wedding, though.

I just printed out a copy of my paper for submission.  It looks so official and goddamn pretty.
    We seriously considered hiring a cleaning service for once a month.  Seriously considered it.  But, in the end, I like hoarding money.  Haha. I've never been to a Sheetz.  I drove by some this weekend when I went to my cousin's wedding, though. I just printed out a copy of my paper for submission.  It looks so official and goddamn pretty.
    Posted by Joy2611
    Yay! Good luck!
    We seriously considered hiring a cleaning service for once a month.  Seriously considered it.  But, in the end, I like hoarding money.  Haha. I've never been to a Sheetz.  I drove by some this weekend when I went to my cousin's wedding, though. I just printed out a copy of my paper for submission.  It looks so official and goddamn pretty.
    Posted by Joy2611
    Yippee!
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • Way to go, Joy!

I am seriously thinking of hiring a cleaning service for our new house.  I don't mind cleaning and actually like it but DH and I may be in over our heads.
    Anniversary
    Posted by Joy2611
    #1 - This is terrible! You must go to one!! The next one you see. Go there. Enjoy.

#2 - YIPPEE!!!! 
    my read shelf:
    Sheetz has become my new best friend.
    Posted by Beaniebeach
    Yessss.  Sheetz should be everyone's best friend. 
    I can't wait to have Sheetz back in my life. TurkeyHill sucks! 
    my read shelf:
  • uneek1323uneek1323
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    Turkey Hill makes good milk, ice cream and teas. As an actual store, though, it sucks.
    Sheetz is good. Wawa is better.

I don't have any of them here. I'm stuck with 7-11.
  • hi friends. you do rock and H has finally (i think) accepted that you aren't going away :). money is always hard I think because there is no perfect way for everyone. H and I have had joint accounts since we were married and I think we are finally in agreement on our budget and how to work our fun money/ savings. There were times we got really frustrated but we both realized that meant our system wasn't working for us. I am really glad we have joint accounts and it definitely makes it much easier to save aggressively like we want to. I don't think we would save much at all if we had seperate accounts. But I think the reason it works for us is because we have a set financial plan and goals so its not my money any more its our vacation money or our home money.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Wait - Turkey Hill is a store?  In my world (y'know... the eastern edge of PA, practically falling into the Delaware), Turkey Hill only makes ice cream.

My sister and I saw a sign for Turkey Hill on our drive into Central PA this past weekend and we thought it was just a really big ice cream store.....  We kinda wanted to stop.
  • Turkey Hill is a "convenience" store. But it totally sucks.
    They do have amazing ice cream and teas. And 3 cents off a gallon of gas with your Turkey Hill card. That's about all it has going for it. 
    my read shelf:
  • Well, we would've been really dissappointed if we stopped then!  Ha.  Turkey Hill and Sheetz.  It's like Philly is a whole different world than the rest of PA.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards