New York-Long Island

Long Island Gown Alterations

Has anyone had any oustandingly good/bad experiences with wedding gown tailors in Long Island? I just found my gown -- an heirloom from my grandmother that features gorgeous handmade lace -- and just need it to be tucked in at the sides and for the arms to be narrowed.

I really want some personal accounts so that I know what places to consider or even where to avoid. Instinctively I want to go somewhere that specializes in wedding gowns and regularly works with delicate lace and beadwork. Especially important becuase it's one-of-a-kind and has lots of sentimental value. 

Thanks for helping out!

Re: Long Island Gown Alterations

• I had my wedding gown altered by Alterations Unlimited by Gina, in Deer Park, and I can not say enough good things about them!! I was in the same spot as you when I first started looking...I had bought my dress at a "sample sale" and needed to make a few adjustments to it. After pouring over online reviews of seamstresses I finally decided to take my dress to Gina. She is in a little shop, which is a converted house, and when you walk in you can definately tell that she has been in the business for over 25 years...the shop is filled with spools of thread, buttons, racks of clothes & scraps on the floor!

She did such an amazing job on my dress. They ended up having to take my dress in two sizes (5 inches!). I was nervous because there is alot of detail on the back of my dress, but you can not even tell it was altered. My dress is lace with some beading as well and she did such an amazing job with the alterations and hand stitching of the lace. My dress originally had a cathedral length train, which I had cut down to a shorter train and bussled. I let her have free range of the bussle and she ended up doing a "french bussle" which looks absolutely amazing with the style of my dress...my mom started crying while she was working it out on me! Needless to say, I am extremely happy with the job she did on my dress...she did everything I asked and more!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow, sounds perfect! I'll definitely be checking her out, thank you =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards