Wedding Etiquette Forum

Veil- can I justify the expense?

Hey ladies, I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do about wearing a veil and I'd love some opinions. 

I really didn't think I'd wear a veil because it's not really my style, but my sisters insisted that I try one on when I tried on dresses, and I loved the way a certain one looked with my dress.  I always knew that if I did wear a veil, it would be trimmed in lace like this one.

But it's $200- I just can't justify so much money for something I didn't even think I wanted.  I was just planning on putting a vintage comb or pretty flowers in my hair, but I'm having trouble getting the veil out my mind.  And I've searched ebay/etsy/etc. and I can't find another veil that really compares.

Thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Veil- can I justify the expense?

• Oh come on.  Just get it :)

I bought a birdcage veil on Etsy for 36 bucks - but that's not the style you're going for.  For what it's worth, I've heard of brides who've spent way more than 200 bucks on their veil.  A friend of mine spent more on her veil than she did on her dress.

It's a gorgeous veil and it's gorgeous with your dress.  I think if you didn't buy it, you'd more than likely regret it.
    panther
  • No doubt about it, that veil is gorgeous!  But $200?  I think you can do better on the price.

There are tons of mantilla style veils on ebay. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=mantilla+veil&_sacat=See-All-Categories

If you really don't like any of those, keep checking back.  When I was looking for my veil I was overwhelmed with the amount of listings that came up every day.

Keep looking, I'm sure you can find something just as pretty but without that hefty price tag!
  • brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    I feel like that veil style is quite common lately and I have seen it around in pictures.  I would personally keep looking.  I personally wouldn't spend $200 on something unless I was 100% sure it was worth it/I wanted it.  However, $200 is a lot of money for us so if we had more money laying around I might feel differently.

OH and I LOVE your dress.Smile  Absolutely beautiful!
  • Honestly, I spent $175 on my veil and am still really happy I did :) It was absolutely perfect for me. I would say look around on ebay or other sites for a little while but if that's the best price then get it!
  • I do not know how handy you are with a sewing machine but I will be making my veil. If you did that you would be able to pick the exact lace that you want and adjust the length. If this is something that you do not think you can do yourself you may be able to have a seamstress make you one for less. Also look online as you should be able to find one for cheaper than they are sold in the store for.
  • Benjamin, you are so not helping :)

Did anyone not wear a veil and regret it?  I wish I had never tried it on in the first place...I wouldn't know what I was missing. 

I have found some pretty veils on ebay, but the only ones I would consider ordering are about $50-$75 and that's still a lot of money for something I can't see in person first.

My sister offered her veil, but I'd rather not wear a veil at all than wear something other than this one.

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2010

My veil was $179 (+ 15% off from AA).  I loved it and I don't regret it one bit.  That veil is beautiful.  I would do it.

I tried on my same veil in cathedral length and it took all my willpower not to buy it for $400.  But I knew that was crazy.

• Does the veil have a designer/style number?  (I bought one from my seamstress, so I don't know if commercial veils have them or not)  If it does, you may be able to find it at discount shops, such as Pearls Place, a lot cheaper. 

I was also going to suggest taking pictures and going to an independent seamstress.

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hey, I spent $125 on my fascinator. I loved it, I didn't find anything else that compared, and when you think about it, it's going to be on your head on your wedding day. It'll be in every single picture of the ceremony. If you can afford to buy it without going into debt or sacrificing other aspects of the wedding that are important to you, then go for it.

I'm a bad influence. But I'm also a believer in spluring (within budget and sanity constraints) on your wedding day. My dress was almost twice the first budget I'd thought of, but I cut other things to make it work (hair, makeup, less expensive shoes, no jewelry, etc.). I didn't regret the dress or the fascinator and was so happy I had them on when I got married! :)
  • You could look on the Trash to Treasure board and see if anyone is selling theirs or look on places like E-Bay, too.

My veil was borrowed. Had I not had a friend who had a pretty veil, I probably would have skipped it altogether. I wore it at the ceremony only.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_veil-can-justify-expense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea78da80-3454-41f8-bba4-6b7a8fcc4094Post:22519c4d-a963-43cd-a8b8-05e7e480004f">Re: Veil- can I justify the expense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Benjamin, you are so not helping :) <strong>Did anyone not wear a veil and regret it? </strong> I wish I had never tried it on in the first place...I wouldn't know what I was missing.  I have found some pretty veils on ebay, but the only ones I would consider ordering are about $50-$75 and that's still a lot of money for something I can't see in person first. My sister offered her veil, but I'd rather not wear a veil at all than wear something other than this one.
    Posted by rubyredlucy[/QUOTE]
    I did not wear a veil - I did not regret it at all.  I figured I would fuss with it the whole time I had it on, and that it would annoy me, so I never even tried one on.  I did a flower in my hair and really liked the way it looked.  Then again, I also got married on a beach.  I may or may not have felt different if I had gotten married indoors.
    Photobucket
  • There's no way I'd spend $200 on a veil.  I got mine for $15 or so from www.valuveil.com, and it was cathedral length.  I wore it for photos and the ceremony, and then it came off. 

I'd keep looking if I were you.  Maybe even try an alchemy request on etsy.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_veil-can-justify-expense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea78da80-3454-41f8-bba4-6b7a8fcc4094Post:e3222d60-9972-4e2f-ba60-1bc16c0b0c9a">Re: Veil- can I justify the expense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I spent $175 on my veil and am still really happy I did :) It was absolutely perfect for me. I would say look around on ebay or other sites for a little while but if that's the best price then get it!
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Your veil is gorgeous! I don't post on this board all that regularly, so I hope this doesn't come off as creepy (I'm not a stalker, for reals!) but I showed your pic to FI the other night to point out how good you guys looked together. And to tell him that I wish he was a Marine so he could wear dress blues to our wedding. =)

OP, it looks like a David's Bridal that you're at. I looked at a super gorgeous flower clip that went perfectly w/my dress from DB, but it was $100. I found so many similar things on Etsy or wherever (I actually ended up buying something similar from a Knottie on my local board for $15), so it seems that DB's accessories are overpriced.

I would look around first, and if you don't find anything you like as much, then go back and buy the one you tried on. Problem solved!
  • The biggest problem I have with spending so much money is that it would be on something I never wanted in the first place.

I did find someone selling the same veil on my local, for $130.  Still more than I'd like to spend, but certainly better than $200.  I've been checking her for sale bio every other day in case she reduces the price- maybe that proves how much I do want it.

• Is there anywhere you can cut the budget in other areas? Maybe get less expensive shoes, cut down on the flowers, etc. My dress ended up being much cheaper than planned so the veil was workable. I figure if people are spending $200 on hair for a wedding, why not a veil!
  • It is DB- http://tinyurl.com/22l9938

And you're right, tpender, veils are way overpriced.  It's just tulle and some lace.  Maybe I'll try to make one myself, or try etsy again.

• I spent almost $400 on my custom veil... yea... I'm not sure what I was thinking. I was in the frame of mind I could sell it after the wedding... FYI: I still have it. So unless you have fallen head over heels for that veil, get something cheaper! LOL. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_veil-can-justify-expense?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ea78da80-3454-41f8-bba4-6b7a8fcc4094Post:0fc9ba03-b3ae-45e4-9f32-e144839ec9c0">Re: Veil- can I justify the expense?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is DB- <a href="http://tinyurl.com/22l9938" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/22l9938</a> And you're right, tpender, veils are way overpriced.  It's just tulle and some lace.  Maybe I'll try to make one myself, or try etsy again.
    Posted by rubyredlucy[/QUOTE]

FI's cousin made my veil. It cost her about $3 in materials. But all I wanted was something super plain, so that was an easy choice for me. The one you're looking at is a bit more intricate, so I think that's something worth spending a bit more money on. I just think it would be a good idea to shop around first.
  • Thank you Tpender :) Not creepy at all. 

I think I just get attached to veils which is part of it. My mom kept her veil/dress and when I was little I would wear her veil all the time. I think she ended up making an Easter dress for me out of the lace.
  • If you can afford it and you love it get it. You say you never wanted it in the first place, but, now you do. And pretty badly too it seems. :) Again I think if you can afford it you should get it. My veil was about $250 and I thought it was worth every penny. I loved it and thought it was awesome with my dress.
  • Milkduds, look at you with your amazing ebay skills!  I don't know how I missed that before.  $80 I can justify. 

Thanks so much for all of your help, ladies.  Especially Milkduds, you sexy thing. 

Off to buy my veil!

• There is a great place in newton center called Vows.  They resell super deisgner gowns.

Their alterations person does beautiful veils on the side.  Try her, we found her to be fabulous!

• My veil was nearly $300, but totally worth it. I loved the hell out of it.

So did LVB Laughing
  • Thanks, oot.  I bid on the veil on ebay, but if that falls through I'll check out the alterations person.  Vows was actually on my list of shops to try for dresses, but my dress was the first one that I tried on my first time shopping.

• Great!

good luck on your search.
  • Solid areas on vails (Lace triming) can create unflattering lines across your back and arms in photos by how it lays. Make sure the trim won't clash with the dress you plan to wear when its just on your back as well as your shoulders.

Also, will it work with how you plan to do your hair? Check with your stylist before you get your heart set.
  • I spent a little bit more than I had planed on my dress, so I couldn't justify spending another 200 on my veil, so I checked online, and didn't really see anything I liked.  Later I went shopping at Michaels with one of my talented crafty friends and we came across some veils. I found one I thought was cute and pulled it out of the package to see how it looked and that's when we came up with the idea of adding snowflakes to the veil since I"m doing a snowflake theme wedding in February. The whole thing cost less than 20 bucks.  Here is a photo... It still needs some work, we might add more snowflakes and it will need to be steamed.  If you or someone close to you is crafty, maybe you could think about making your own.

Little one is here.
  • Sorry, I thought the photo would enlarged once you click on it, it's not enlarging for me.  You have to enlarge it to get a good view of it.
    Little one is here.
  • If you like it get it! :) I spent $185 on mine and I wouldn't think about it twice!  Mine is real swaforsky(don't know if I spelled it right) crystals on it and was worth every cent I paid for it!  This is the time to pamper yourself!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I loved my veil.  It was well worth the money.  How many times in your life will you be able to wear a veil?  I think it is worth the splurge!

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards