Wedding Party

When and How do you ask your WP about their budget?

When and How do you ask your WP about their budget? Thanks!

Re: When and How do you ask your WP about their budget?

• Budget on a dress, shoes accessories? 

If that's what you are talkin about.. Maybe this may work for you-  When choosing my bridesmaids and maid of honor .. I sat down with them and discussed my plan as far as color scheme, attire .etc. Since  I knew everyones budget was different.. I gave them all the option of picking out a black dress of their choice and their price range. I also gave them the option of purchasing a very chic and inexpensive pair of shoes that fit well with all of their styles and body types. With that said, it pretty much left room for them to say what they could afford and what they couldn't. All girls agreed that they would do their own hair and make up to save on cost. So the spending was kept to a minimum and was easy on everyones pockets.

Hope this helps! 

• I haven't yet but when I do I will bring it up with each bridesmaid in private, not as a group. I'm assuming we are only speaking about dress budget.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As far as dresses, we didn't have that conversation because they just picked any black dress they chose, so they set the price without my involvement.  (The two plus-sized girls spent about $150 each at a specialty shop, the others were probably $40 and under.)  When the groomswoman and I were trading Facebook messages with some dress ideas, I just straight up asked, "What are you comfortable spending?"

When I was trying to sort out the hair and makeup debacle (I spent MONTHS searching for someone I could afford, because it was pretty crucial to have everyone get ready together), I sent a group email to all of them, asking, among other things, what they'd be willing to contribute toward the tab if I couldn't cover the whole thing.  They each responded individually.  Thankfully, I finally found someone who gave us a good group rate, and the point was moot.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    My friend asked all the budget info rather publically. Which makes it difficiult to respond (you don't want to be the only one responding with a lower budget, do you?)

So I don't suggest that. Ask them all separately. I'm not too picky about how it's done. We did manage to find cheap dresses and shoes so extras like makeup and hair were easy to fit in without a problem regarding our budget.
  • I e-mailed them and said, "What would you like to spend on a dress?" They both got back to me within a few hours and coincidentally gave me the same amount.

I told them to wear whatever jewelry they wanted and whatever black dress shoes they wanted. I gave them the pricing info for where I was getting my hair and makeup done and I told them that they could get it done elsewhere or do it themselves if they wished. They elected to use the same makeup artist as me, but they went to their own salons for hair and we met at my parents' house.

I gave them the information about the hotel that we'd blocked for the night of the wedding, and they both decided to book rooms. At their request, I coordinated a shared room between one BM and a single female guest/friend so they could split the cost.
  • This is one thing looking back on my wedding that I regret.  I never knew I should ask my BMs a budget because I had never been asked one before for a wedidng, and didn't come onto TK until after the dresses were already picked out.  I let the girls pick the dresses they wanted from a line and they were $135 each.  I know each girl was thrilled with their dress though and a few have already worn it again, so I know it was okay for them.  But I still feel bad that i never asked them about it.

However, looking back, and also thinking if I was in that situation, I would want to be asked privately.  You could ask each girl in person individually, or just send an email to each girl (not a group email) asking what their budget is for the BM dress.  They are much more likely to be completely honest when not in a group.  Take the lowest amount and find a dress in that range, or you need to pitch in the extra money if the dress you pick goes about any of the girls' budgets. 

As for other stuff, I bought their shoes for them so that wasn't an issue.  And I told all of them where I was getting my hair and makeup done if they wanted to join but it was up to them what they wanted to do.  Everyone got both done, exccept my MOH with really short hair only got makeup, and I gave each girl a gift card towards it with them covering the rest. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I emailed each girl separately. "Hey, what's your budget for a dress? I want everyone to be comfortable with it."

The end. lol
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • I told them what color dress I wanted them to get and said they could pick out any style in that color.  My FS'sIL both picked out the same dress for around $140 and my MOH picked out a different style for around the same price.  The whole bridal party is wearing flip flops since FI and I are both big flip flop ppl, so that wasn't really and expense for anyone.  I also told my 3 BM where I am getting my hair and makeup done and said they could come with me, do it at home, or go to their own salon. They all opted to come with me, which will be fun...as an added benefit, I found out AFTER I booked appts for all of us that my hair would be free with the number of ppl coming,
  • Thanks!
     Individually isn't a problem, they all live in different states, I just didn't know if I should email or call or send a card or something. I want to do the same fabric different dress thing, but I'm not sure if thats possible because I really don't like DB and I don't know if anywhere else does that?
  • Do it immediately!!!

When I asked my girls I immediately brought up budget. I spelled out the costs etc and bought them a bridesmaid book. This week after some heated arguments one admitted not only is she broke she’s living off credit! Explained why she hated my 250 dollar dress choices.

Obviously I don’t want her to go into debt to be in my wedding if she’s struggling to survive. I told her to think it over and take some time...so she can bow out gracefully..just be a guest and get her life together. If I knew she was that much in debt I would haven’t asked her in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards