New Jersey
Options

Cake fiction/ Groom's cakes

Can't remember who posted about Cake Fiction a while ago...but I just reached out to them since I had been debating doing a Groom's cake for a while.  They ended up quoting me $480...which I'm not sure even includes delivery.  I really didn't think the cake was anything that intricate or large in size, so I was little surprised. 

I've deifnitely gotten attached to the idea of doing the cake now, but not sure if I $500 wanna do it.  Is $500 pretty much the going rate?  I'm definitely going to go for the tasting anyway and see if they can work with me to get the price down, but I was just curious what others spent or if there were any recs out there for cheaper bakeries. 

Re: Cake fiction/ Groom's cakes

• Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Without knowing the design and how many people it will feed its hard to judge but it sounds like a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    I posted about cake fiction.  I am not sure what you asked for. but it could be a very intricate design?  I think $480 is way better than some of the prices I got.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would never pay $480 for a cake that's in addition to a wedding cake that will already be there. Wow. But, I guess I can be cheap in that sense. DH would've also killed me had I spent that on a cake.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the problem is they want to do the cake to scale, which would be for about 80ppl...which  doesn't make a ton of sense since we're probably only 125-150 and already have another cake.  I'm not sure how much smaller it could be though.

I def don't think they're trying to rip me off or anything, i just can't believe people rountinely pay this much for groom's cakes I guess. Maybe I'll have them do it for rehearsal dinner instead if I go through with it, might make me feel a little better.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    if they quoted you $480 for 80 ppl thats awesome. I am paying $300 for 30 ppl.  Like I said I called pink cake box and they wanted $700 for only 30 ppl.  if you do it for the RD it will be for less people I assume and the cost should be less. Her minimu is $250 for a cake.  You will love her cakes they are YUM.  Are you going for a tasting?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_cake-fiction-grooms-cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:114d8e09-2ad3-47c3-af4c-ce593ad06aa4Post:12de7a4a-d45f-4462-be44-f4b46a02eee9">Re: Cake fiction/ Groom's cakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would never pay $480 for a cake that's in addition to a wedding cake that will already be there. Wow. But, I guess I can be cheap in that sense. DH would've also killed me had I spent that on a cake.
    Posted by akmackay[/QUOTE]

<font color="#3170cd">Agree with this 1,000%!
    If I had an extra $500 to put towards the wedding, a 2nd cake is the last thing I'd put it towards.
    (For the record ~ not even doing a groom's cake.)</font>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I contacted the bakery that's doing our wedding cake (included with venue) and they are charging me wholesale since we are getting the wedding cake there.  $115 for a 1/3 sheet cake.  I would try your wedding cake baker first and see if they can do better.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with Vanessa from the Cake Diaries. If you PM me, I can get you her email address. I think it was about 300 for 30 ppl. But she talked it out with me over what would cost more vs less. We even tossed around doing just rice krispies and fondant over it to cover the cost. Considering at a wedding there are a TON of other options, I don't think that's bad. But we used ours at the rehearsal dinner because I knew there would be dessert overkill at the wedding and I wanted it to be special for DH since it was a surprise.
  • Options
    tbrose16tbrose16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a grooms cake. I got mine from a local bakery.  I knew I wanted a cake in the shape of a football (3-d) with the nfl logo on the one side and the cowboys logo on the other side of the football. I didn't care about the size as I wasn't going to display it (only bring it out after we cut the wedding cake to surprise my hubby) and asked them to do it as small as they could. They made a really cute one for me for only $35 (it was for about 25-30 people I think).  After he was presented with the cake, they cut the cake up and it displayed at the bananas foster station which worked out perfectly. Everyone got the regular wedding cake at their tables so this was a good edition.  Depending on how intricate you want the cake, you should check out some local bakeries.
  • Options
    laur1019laur1019 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a grooms cake...it is def pricey but I got a cake in the shape of a giants jersey w/his last name on it and our wedding date as the number. At this point I am spending so much $ I just want to surprise him, and I can't wait to see it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards