Catholic Weddings

Don't know anyone who can sing or play organ at our wedding!

I am getting married in July and now that the new year has begun, I need to start thinking about all the small details. Neither of us know anyone who can sing nor do we know anyone who can play at our wedding. What do we do? Will the church give us a list of people to choose from or can we pick the music director from the church? If we do pick someone from the church who we don't know, do we send them an invitation and do they get invited to the rehearsal dinner?

Re: Don't know anyone who can sing or play organ at our wedding!

• edited December 2011
    You can select the church music director but this person does not have to be invited to the wedding events.  They are considered wedding staff (like the florist) and will need to be paid for their service (unless they are willing to accept a donation).  Hope this helps.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your church probably has a list of musicians who do weddings there. Talk to your priest, parish secretary, or music director. If you attend mass regularly there and you happen to like any of the musicians at that mass, you can even approach them directly.

No, they do not need to be invited to the reception. Treat them as a regular vendor, and give them their payment before or at the ceremony. If they are inexperienced, they *may* wish to attend the rehearsal, but most likely not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    The organist/music director at the church should be able to help you.  I know ours will contact me for a meeting.  I hope the organist is also our vocalist (we are also having a bagpiper for some songs) because there is one woman who is often a soloist and she makes me cringe. Every time I hear her sing, I think "dear God, please don't let her sing at my wedding." Awful, I know, but you'd understand if you came to a Sunday mass at my church.
    Crosswalk
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards