Illinois

Bride with a special need

Hello,
 My name is wanda and I am a39 year old, second time bride. I have been engaged for what feels like forever ( 7years) our wedding is just over a year away. We got engaged and planned on getting married soon then I had an accident that has left me a paraplegic. Life goes on and we are good but I can not find a dress that I like or that I can see myself in let alone try on.... HELP
The only shop in my area had no idea what to tell me or how to help me. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
I am also not a small girl. I wear about a size 14  so   not only am I looking for a dress that works with a wheelchair, but one that is flattering on a woman with curves.

Re: Bride with a special need

• heather121709heather121709 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would call bridal salons in downtown and tell them all of this sometimes bigger stores can be more accommodating.  
  • edited December 2011
    What do you need help with specifically? Like, you can't physically try on the dresses because you can't stand or you can't find a dress that looks nice when you're in the wheelchair?
    This is going to sound stupid, but I saw a woman on Say Yes To The Dress who was also a parapalegic. She found a dress she liked and the store made a train that slipped over the back of her wheelchair and it looked really nice and actually worked with the chair. She had some sort of apparatus that she leaned on to have the dress put on. It kind of looked like a walker.
    I agree with trying the bigger bridal stores, they have more selection as well.
    image 141 Invited so far!
    image 112 Are ready to party!
    image 29 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I don't know if you have tried David's Bridal yet, but I had an absolutely wonderful experience when I was looking for my dress.  Tracy is my consultant in Rockford, IL.  Granted, I don't really have any special needs, other than we are likely about the same size, but Tracy was wonderful.  The attention that she gave me was amazing!  Don't know if this helps, but just a thought!

• edited December 2011
    Thank you for the information. At this point I am willing to try anything. I just hope the extra attention doenst mean extra $$$. Jay & I are paying for this on our won and with me in college there is just no extra money for anything.
  • edited December 2011
    I have both issues to be honest. Tring on a dress appears to be a nightmare and I am wondering about getting down the isle without getting it caught in my wheels.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards