Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Candle/Flower logistic questions

Hi guys-

I have yet to book a florist (I know!) but I have some weird logistical questions pertaining to centerpieces::

1.  Our venue supplies votives and I want to use these  I can completely ask about this from the venue, but wanted to find out - if your venue did this as well, did they come in a candle holder?

2.  If you had candles as part of your centerpieces for your wedding, who lit them prior to the reception?  Is this part of the caterer's (or in my case, hotel's) job?

3.  If you used votives -did they last through the reception?  Or did they go out?

4.  Are florists for the most part OK with using existing elements along with their flowers?  For example:  for my centerpiece I would like to use some type of round mirror with 8-10 votives in a ring around a simple simple floral arrangement.  Does a florist normally set this up?  Does the hotel?  Do I?  ETA:  meaning, the mirror would be supplied by me, the votives by the hotel, the flowers by the florist.

So confusing!  :)

Re: Candle/Flower logistic questions

• edited December 2011
    My florist set up all of the flowers/candles for our wedding.  There were a ton of votive candles and we had them at every table, many of them were floating candles, but some were in glass holders.  The votive candles and holders (as well as the water containers) were all supplied by our florist though.  The majority of the votives were still lit late, but began to go out near 10:30-11 (our reception started at 5:30 and ended at 12).
  • missyt180missyt180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!  I'm sure I can dictate pretty much what I want in terms of who does what, but I don't want to overstep my bounds or not have the details planned out and have a room full of unlit candles!

Hmm, maybe my favors will be a book of matches and my guests can each light one votive "in celebration of the light of my joy" or something like that when FI and I walk in!  :)  KIDDING! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey,
      I know my florist will work with anything I have.  For example, he was going to charge $3 a vase to put marbles in, but I told him I already had the marbles, so he took that price off and is using mine.  He's putting together my total centerpieces for me.  Let me know if you need a recommendation, he's amazing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • missyt180missyt180 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    26summer - yes please!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    1.  Our venue supplies votives and I want to use these, did they come in a candle holder? Yes, usually, but ask to make sure. Also, ask how many they place per table.

2.  If you had candles as part of your centerpieces for your wedding, who lit them prior to the reception?  The caterer (or hotel) does this. In some cases, the site coordinator does this instead. 

3.  If you used votives -did they last through the reception? Yes.

4.  Are florists for the most part OK with using existing elements along with their flowers?  Yes. Make sure to tell them what you have when you first meet with them, so they can incorporate in their design. Also, who sets it up depends on the service you get from the florist. Some florists simply deliver, while others do the set-up and dressing of tables as well. Even if the florist dresses the tables, most likely the catering staff will light the candles.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Missy-you have a PM!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I *think* there are different time length votives, like 10 hour, five hour, 8 hour. When I bought mine, they said five hour and were still lit at the end.

I was my own florist, so no help there, but my catering staff lit my candles.

HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I used oil globe candles that lasted 10 hours in smoke free odor free oil that I purchased, so no help there. My centerpieces had small lights wired onto them and there were candles all over needing lighting (both the oil (3 at each table) and then I had tall wide candles in tall holders all around as well) so my videographer started the lighting and the staff helped.  I had asked videographer to make sure all candles were lit and I provided extra lights that were the long kind to eliminate searching for lighters.  You can see photos of my oil globes in my recently (yay) updated bio 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I believe my florist will take care of all that (I haven't had my first meeting with her yet, but my mom has used her before). I'm using Oakmont Floral, Rebecca is the owner and is WONDERFUL! If you're still looking for a florist she may be available! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards