California-Los Angeles

Price for Wedding Cake for 100

Hi Ladies,

So I've been talking to a few bakeries about my wedding cake. I've gotten price quotes ranging from $600-$1200-1300. I really don't want to spend too much money on cake when nobody really eats the stuff. From all the weddings I've attended it seems as if no one touches it (or is left mostly half eaten) and is mostly a prop for pictures. What is a fair price for a cake? The design I want is fairly simple, and I'm tempted to have a baker make one small tier for my FI and me to cut into and have the rest of the cake be made of foam covered in fondant. I could just serve sheet cake to the guests, and no one would be the wiser (or so I hope). Does that seem horrible and tacky? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Price for Wedding Cake for 100

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    A lot of the cost of a cake is in the decorating, not the cake itself, so I don't know how much money you're going to save decorating fake cake layers.  Why not just do a small cake for cutting and photos, and serve sheet cake to the guests?
  • not a problem.  costco cakes are yummy and 30$!
  • I don't think you need to pay a lot if you get a simply designed wedding cake and adorn it with beautiful cake flowers from the florist!

My FI and I are having a tropical daytime wedding on a yacht, so we went with King's Hawaiian - the cake is less than $200 for 90 people. We chose the famous Hawaiian Paradise: light spongy cake flavors of guava, passionfruit and lime. But they have the conventional flavors as well! Go for the free tasting!
  • i've heard of many people doing the sheet cake- do it- no one will ever know or care. we're doing a small cake baked by fi cousin and will have cookies for everyone...you're right- no one eats cake. i've been in 13 weddings, have been to many many more and don't remember much about my friend's cake......
  • The cake is one of my favorite things in weddings.  At one of my good friends wedding, I think she tried to make one of those fancy cakes by herself - not only did it look like crap but it tasted like it. It wasn't cooked and the parts that were cooked, were dry.

So, as long as it tastes good - I don't care where it came from. Like PP said, Costco always makes delicious cakes.
  • I think the ideas presented here are good. Do a nicely presented small double teir cake for cutting and just put family pictures around it and some flowers-we decorated our cake table with a different table cloth so it would stand out. 

We spent a fortune on our cake and alot of our guests didn't get a chance to eat it.
  • We thought the same.  No one eats the cake but they do love candy and cupcakes so we are doing a dessert buffet and a cupcake tower with a small 6 inch cake for cutting.  It's a lot less expensive, looks cuter, and guests take away a favor and something they can eat.  I went to 2 weddings recently that did this and it made more sense.  If you want to check out my vendor she was pretty inexpensive and worked within my budget.  www.amazingarrangements.com  

• We thought the same.  No one eats the cake but they do love candy and cupcakes so we are doing a dessert buffet and a cupcake tower with a small 6 inch cake for cutting.  It's a lot less expensive, looks cuter, and guests take away a favor and something they can eat.  I went to 2 weddings recently that did this and it made more sense.  If you want to check out my vendor she was pretty inexpensive and worked within my budget.  www.amazingarrangements.com  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards