Latino Weddings

Need a cool song for money dance

Hey chicas, since this is the Latino board, Im hoping you wont all jump on me for talking about having a money dance LOL. In fact if you guys are doing one or have done one already, what song did you do it to?? I wanted something cool and fun, not the traditional money dance song, dont know the name of it but you ladies know what Im talking about. Thanks!!

Re: Need a cool song for money dance

• edited December 2011
    Are you wanting a money song for you and the groom?  I am thinking about playing Gwen Stefani's "Rich Girl" but I would love to hear what other brides are going to play as well.
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I was actually going to say the same thing! I know it's super controversial on other boards, so to be careful posting about it on other ones..but you already know that! Good lol! Anyway I'll be honest here, I don't know anything about money dances..we don't have them in our family/ culture. What is it? Is it from specific countries? Which? Anybody care to enlighten me please? Sorry I'm not actually helping you with your question, but I want to finally know what this dance is! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Nati, the money dance is when the guests pay the bride to dance with them. The money can be pinned on the bride or placed in her money purse. The bride gets to keep the money. I've seen it done many times.
  • MariodoMujerMariodoMujer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think any merengue song would be cool cuz its a lot faster and upbeat then the traditional dollar dance, which is a waltz, but its still easy enough for everyone to be able to dance.

"el venao" would be cute since ur dancing with other people and the song is talking about "poniendo los cuernos"

"guayando"- fulanito
    "me miras y te miro" grupo manía
    pretty much anything Elvis Crespo
    "ya me canse" Olga Tañon
    "No me digas que no" la Makina
    "dame un beso" Gisselle

Hope this helps
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MariodoMujerMariodoMujer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wait, I was writing while everyone was posting. What is so controversial about this? Is it because youre asking for money?

I can see how someone who doesn't understand the Latino culture would find this tacky and rude, but I think if the majority of your guest are latino then it should be okay. And no one is forced to participate so it shouldn't be a problem
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_need-cool-song-money-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:07a8c979-4fb9-4fdd-b0bf-af9324ec1bd5Post:8f2a5188-0f11-47d9-bf8b-3a4a996ae8b3">Re: Need a cool song for money dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>wait, I was writing while everyone was posting. What is so controversial about this? Is it because youre asking for money</strong>? I can see how someone who doesn't understand the Latino culture would find this tacky and rude, but I think if the majority of your guest are latino then it should be okay. And no one is forced to participate so it shouldn't be a problem
    Posted by MariodoMujer[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why however the consensus is that if it's done within your culture then it's ok and no one has a problem with it.  What posters get huffy and puffy about is someone who just does a dollar dance in order to collect money, not because it's traditional.  In that case they are right, it's distasteful.

ETA:  I have seen posters who write:  I want to do a dollar dance to help pay some of the wedding but no one in my family or FI's has ever done it...Is it rude?  Umm  yes it is!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_need-cool-song-money-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:07a8c979-4fb9-4fdd-b0bf-af9324ec1bd5Post:63533330-c2d5-496e-bd5f-47e079187ac9">Re: Need a cool song for money dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need a cool song for money dance : That's exactly why however the consensus is that if it's done within your culture then it's ok and no one has a problem with it.  What posters get huffy and puffy about is someone who just does a dollar dance in order to collect money, not because it's traditional.  In that case they are right, it's distasteful. ETA: <strong> I have seen posters who write:  I want to do a dollar dance to help pay some of the wedding but no one in my family or FI's has ever done it...Is it rude?</strong>  Umm  yes it is!
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

No wayy! Hahaha that's terrible! I figured it was usually just girls who wanted to do it for traditional reasons! Hahaha.. ohh people.
  • Nena87Nena87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    for music choices for the money dance, which i totally agree that its fine for culture reasons and not for paying things off, for some luaghs you could choose:

Yo Vivie by Celia Cruz (i might be the only one who would find this funny, oh well)

or if you want to use english speaking songs as well...

We No Speak Americano by Yolanda Be Cool and Dcup

.....sorry thats all i could think of without whipping out my ipod and looking through all my songs.... hope it helps
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gutie120gutie120 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Good suggestions! I am also looking for a song for the money dance. I love to dance and the waltz can get a little boring after so many people dance with the bride and groom and it is placed on repeat a few times.

• edited December 2011
    I'm looking for all my songs (only have first dance).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think the traditional song is the "Mosquito"
    I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, I'm doing the easy thing and going with the Mosquito song, lol!
  • edited December 2011
    I think we're going with Elvis Crespo - Para Darte Mi vida.  Good enough? Out of touch?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards