• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
May 2011 Weddings

NWR: scary story

The boy and I went out with his cousins on Saturday night. The boy and one of his cousins volunteered to be DD, so everyone else got really drunk. When we were driving home the boy and I saw a bad accident. We assume a drunk driver swerved into a truck and hit it head on. The front end of both cars are totaled. No one else is around, so the boy stops to make sure everyone is ok. The people in the truck were fine and told us it just happened. The guy in the car kept slamming on the gas, but couldn't go anywhere since he was missing a wheel. When the boy and I went to check on the other driver, he crawled out the window and ran off.

The people in the truck could have been us if we were there a minute earlier. Had we not have had such awesome DDs we could have caused an accident ourselves. We assume the guy was drunk since he tried to drive off then ran away. Its amazing that no one was hurt. Not to turn this into a PSA about drunk driving. Its scary to think it could have been me though.

Re: NWR: scary story

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2011-weddings_nwr-scary-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:645Discussion:e4893002-8ccc-416c-b1c6-8e31c15b6300Post:3f370682-3876-4ca4-85a0-ec3dcbd25d63">Re: NWR: scary story</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll turn it into a Drunk Driving PSA for you. See enough of those kinds of accidents and no one would ever drive drunk. They're all lucky to be alive. Drunk driving infuriates me. It's just so stupid and pointless. You could kill yourself or someone else. Even if you're lucky enough not to get in a wreck, a DUI seriously f's up your life. You lose your license, it costs a ton of money, you could lose your job, your insurance goes sky high, etc., etc., etc. PSA over! And I'm so glad you guys were safe and smart!
    Posted by 8daysaweek[/QUOTE]

Haha let me rephrase the PSA part. I didn't post this to sound high-and-mighty for having a DD, or judgmental to anyone who has driven after having one or two beers. I agree that drunk driving is completely idiotic and dangerous. People should think before they drive a vehicle drunk or get into one with a drunk driver.

You never know how on the Knot an personal story can become a flaming session! Although you girls here don't tend to do that.
  • Ok, Im glad someone brought this up b/c I have to share something thats been nagging at me soooo bad. Ill make it as short as possible.

FI has a friend who lost his license due to driving drunk (I believe it was back in July but I never knew b/c he said nothing and drove anyways). So about a month ago he was pulled over...driving drunk...and they took his WORK VAN away from him. Ugh. So FI and neighbor (how we met idiot friend) decided to drink at idiots house so he didnt have to drive. They went to leave and idiot (drunk) is trying to come out. They kept telling him they were just comin home, maybe havin a beer then bed. Well, idiot decides (against all pleas) to come out anyways. Feet away from my road he drifts into the other lane and hits a car head on, pushing it into the ditch. He pulls next to the car and asks the guy if he was ok and when the guy said yes....takes off. Turns down my road and wouldve hit FI & neighbor head on had neighbor not swerved (he had a beer or 2 but knew he had to drive and stopped). I found out and flipped! Tried to call the cops, but had my phone ripped from my hand. I swore if anyone came asking, or if I saw it on the news I would call the cops and I dared the boys to stop me from work. Then broke down crying b/c neighbors sister was on her way home frm work and it could have been her, or my mom coming to visit, or any other friend/family/neighbor. And they quickly changed their tune. I am soooooo furious with all of them and I wish I had called the cops but sort of just froze. Now idiot is w/o a car at all (Thank God). I understand if you want to flame me for doing nothing...I had to vernt that tho.

@Klassy...Im glad you guys are ok!
    May 2011-December Siggy My favorite registry item.
    (I managed to shatter the glass in our coffee table so we have none!)
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2011-weddings_nwr-scary-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:645Discussion:e4893002-8ccc-416c-b1c6-8e31c15b6300Post:773fe8ef-d709-4cde-b0c9-73cef9485a02">Re: NWR: scary story</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, Im glad someone brought this up b/c I have to share something thats been nagging at me soooo bad. Ill make it as short as possible. FI has a friend who lost his license due to driving drunk (I believe it was back in July but I never knew b/c he said nothing and drove anyways). So about a month ago he was pulled over...driving drunk...and they took his WORK VAN away from him. Ugh. So FI and neighbor (how we met idiot friend) decided to drink at idiots house so he didnt have to drive. They went to leave and idiot (drunk) is trying to come out. They kept telling him they were just comin home, maybe havin a beer then bed. Well, idiot decides (against all pleas) to come out anyways. Feet away from my road he drifts into the other lane and hits a car head on, pushing it into the ditch. He pulls next to the car and asks the guy if he was ok and when the guy said yes....takes off. Turns down my road and wouldve hit FI & neighbor head on had neighbor not swerved (he had a beer or 2 but knew he had to drive and stopped). I found out and flipped! Tried to call the cops, but had my phone ripped from my hand. I swore if anyone came asking, or if I saw it on the news I would call the cops and I dared the boys to stop me from work. Then broke down crying b/c neighbors sister was on her way home frm work and it could have been her, or my mom coming to visit, or any other friend/family/neighbor. And they quickly changed their tune. I am soooooo furious with all of them and I wish I had called the cops but sort of just froze. Now idiot is w/o a car at all (Thank God). I understand if you want to flame me for doing nothing...I had to vernt that tho. @Klassy...Im glad you guys are ok!
    Posted by FutureDondada[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you for not calling. It's hard to know what the right thing to do is in the moment. Maybe you could have a talk with FI soon and tell him that if it ever happens again, you will be calling the police and he should too to keep his friend safe.

I talked to BFF earlier about their weekend in her FI's hometown for the holiday. BFF's FBIL got arrested for a DUI! And then BFF told me that he had come to her FMIL's house earlier in the day, with his 4 and 6 year old kids, and a 6 pack of beer. He asked BFF and FI if they wanted one and they said no. He had one... or at least they thought so. He left with the kids an hour later and a little after that, they looked in the garbage and he had drank all 6!
    I told BFF she should tell his ex-wife so she could keep the kids from riding with him.
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    CP: July 2011
    BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
    We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!
  • I agree that drinking and driving is the stupidest things someone can do!! 

I have a friend who is pretty notorious for drinking and then wanting to drive afterwards because she doesnt like staying at other peoples houses. I have spent many a nights arguing with her and begging her to stay or even hiding her keys. One night in July of 2009 we went out and had made plans ahead of time that she would stay at our house. We had one of my brothers drop us off and my other brother picked us up, the bar is less than 2 blocks from my house but we decided not to drive and be safe. We drank alot, I dont even know how much but when we got home I passed out on the couch and friend passed out on the other end, after about an hour I got up and went to bed. SHe left a little while later and got pulled over and got a DWI. It has caused her a lot of money and pain in the mean time and her insurance is getting ready to be about 200 dollars a monthfor one vehicle. I wish she would have stayed but I did everything I could to make us have a safe night, with DDs to pick up and drop off and offered her a place to stay. I guess you can not be responsible for everything. The funny thing is a few months ago we were having a party and she dropped her keys into her purse that was sitting on the floor, but missed the purse and couldnt find her keys later. She freaked out on us, saying she was not driving anywhere and we could not treat her like an idiot child forever. I asked if she looked around for her keys and when she did she found them. I wont ever try to be her babysitter again!
    Married since 5/21/2011
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oooo. Leandra's Law. I think thats just NY. But if you are pulled over for a DUI with anyone under the age of 16 in the car its an automatic felony and for 6 months theyre required to instal an interlock device at their own expense. On top of a mess of other smaller charges/punishments.

Of course risking a childs life is horrible enough. Its just sad that people risk others lives like that.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2010
    FI and I both have backgrounds with alcoholics in the families. My mother was in a drunk driving accident that was really bad, my older brother (one of them) was the only survivor in his and he was the driver, and my little brother was hit and killed by a drunk driver while riding his bike. Needless to say, once I find out someone has a history of drunk driving, or if I am out with friends and someone says they'll "be careful, turn on the a/c, sober up, etc." and they just blow it off like it's no big deal...peace out, don't effing speak to me, get the hell out of my way before I strangle you. FI has similar experiences, but his HS gf was hit by a drunk driver and killed. He said he knew someone that had hit and killed a young boy, and the judge made him carry a picture of that boy in the front of his wallet everyday. I actually like that idea, because you know what that broad that killed my brother got? Nothing. They didn't even take her in. All because it was a small town and everyone knew her husband. On top of that, there were witnesses saying she was doing her makeup while driving, it was in a small town, and there was no possible way she could have missed him (had she not been trashed at 5pm). 

They actually had a thing on the news last night here about all the DUIs lately...they get away with it like speeding tickets around here. UGH I'll get off my soapbox now. 
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Wow Rach. Thats pretty rough. Sorry :/

I just get so scared these days. Its like you can't even walk your dog in the middle of the afternoon without the worry of being killed by a drunk driver (that happened her a few weeks back to a woman). I hate driving at night and especially on weekends or major holidays. Nobody is safe anymore and that sucks. We had a good 2 weeks where like 3 houses and 2 stores were driven into by drunk drivers. Its so ridiculous. Have people always been this stupid or am I just now starting to notice it?!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm glad everyone is safe.  :) 
    ~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
    2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
    image image image
    image image image
    Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards