Chit Chat

Baby shower question

So, I am hosting a baby shower for my SIL.  I have never thrown a baby shower before, and I didn't have any showers for my wedding.  I'm doing invitations this weekend and am a little stumped. 

I know registery information never goes on a wedding invitation, but should I include it on a baby shower invitation?  Or wait for people to ask me?

Thoughts?

Re: Baby shower question

• Don't you put registry info on bridal shower invites? I'd imagine baby shower invites being the same way. It's not the future mom who is putting that info out there -- it's the host (you) in honor of the bride.

So, basically, I'm saying to put the info on the baby invite. :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm not sure about the etiquette rules for showers, but I've always seen the registry info on the invitations.
  • You should put registry info on shower invites. It's ok since it's purpose is to "shower" someone with physical gifts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ok. That's what I thought. But I didn't want to royally screw up etiquette wise.
  • Yup, shower invitations are the exception to the rule since as Hoboken said, bringing gifts is the entire point.
    Anniversary
  • In super traditional circles (you know the ones where MOB/MOG don't throw showers), you still wouldn't include registry info, and guests would ask when they call to RSVP.

In more relaxed circles, it's typical to include registry info in shower invites, baby or bridal.  Since you'd probably know about it if you were in the former group, I'd say go ahead and include the registry info on an enclosure card. 
  • I'd ask your SIL - she probably got little cards from wherever she registered to stick in with the invites. If not I'm sure she can get them - as opposed to having to put it right on the invitation.

I've planned a few too many showers in the past few years so if you need anything PM me :)
  • I'd ask you SIL if the store gave her registry cards. I worked at Babies R Us for a few years and we gave out cards. As PPs have said, showers are for gifts. Congrats on becoming a new auntie!
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Don't use the store cards.  That makes the invitation look like an ad mailer.  

By enclosure card, I meant printing or writing the registries on a little piece of cardstock.  
  • SJM7538SJM7538 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    How is a card with the stores name on it any different from a writing it on the invitation or puttin it on card stock? Somehow the stores name is going to end up in with the invite. The preprinted cards aren't tacky. They make the hosts life a little bit easier. I've never recieved an invitation to a shower and thought "oh lord, it looks like they're trying to promote the store."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_baby-shower-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c96ed17e-4ae4-4730-9c8d-408bf5bf1717Post:24b5838b-5519-4ee7-85ba-08d7724bf442">Re: Baby shower question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't use the store cards.  That makes the invitation look like an ad mailer.   <strong>By enclosure card, I meant printing or writing the registries on a little piece of cardstock.</strong>  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

I worked at Babies R Us for many years and we would print the name, first and last name of the mom(or main registriant if it was 2 moms or 2 dads) on the card with their special registry number and a barcode. It was about the size of a business card and would say,
                                         "Jane Smith is registered at 
                                                     Babies R Us 
                                               12345678912345"
    Under the registry number was a barcode tied to their registry. People could look online(searching with the name or registry number if there would be multiple people with the same name) and have the item(s) they wanted to buy put on hold and come in with the registry card from the store and never print a registry and have it still counted toward the registry.

With common names, it makes it easier having the registry number so when looking it up, you get the correct registry. I don't want to even guessed how many people came in with the invite and only the first name is on the invite, they don't know the last name(or the spelling) or where they live or they only know the grandparents. I understand that it's "free advertising" but wouldn't typing a card that says "Jane is registered at Babies R Us, Bye-Bye Baby and Target" also be "free advertising"?
  • I was thinking about just printing little business cards with the registration information on it, and including that with the invitation.  I want to order the invites now, but, she isn't registering until next week.  And she isn't positive where she is going to register.   But, the friggin shower is on 12-15, so I need to get the invites ordered and sent out by next weekend.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_baby-shower-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c96ed17e-4ae4-4730-9c8d-408bf5bf1717Post:68e86e49-1fca-4c7e-bfc1-28aaf4d95994">Re: Baby shower question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was thinking about just printing little business cards with the registration information on it, and including that with the invitation.  I want to order the invites now, but, she isn't registering until next week.  And she isn't positive where she is going to register.   But, the friggin shower is on 12-15, so I need to get the invites ordered and sent out by next weekend.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

As a former retail worker, with friends still working in retail at various stores that deal with registries, I highly recommend putting the mom's full name on the invite. People will take the invite into the store the morning of the shower and will buy the gift, and having first and last name helps locate the registry. If she has a common name, maybe include the dad's name or her maiden name. On the enclosure, something like the registry is under Jane(Jones) and Tom Smith. Also very helpful with long or uncommon last names where not everyone would know how to spell the name.

Just let your SIL know that if she tracks her registry, there will be a few items purchased prior but most people wait til the day of to shop. Saturdays and Sundays are the biggest shopping days for baby shower registries, usually between 10 am and 1 pm.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_baby-shower-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c96ed17e-4ae4-4730-9c8d-408bf5bf1717Post:7f153dd8-9863-457c-b004-416a0b743f8d">Re: Baby shower question</a>:
    [QUOTE]The stores give you those cards to ensure that your guests shop at their store, and ONLY their store. My social set is like MyNameIsNot's.....you don't put registry information in ANY invitation (although I don't care, so long as it isn't the wedding invitation).  You're supposed to ask about the registry when you call the shower hostess to RSVP for the shower.  Relatives also don't throw showers unless the MOH is also the bride's sister. Having a mom do it is out of the question.  (Again, I don't care about this either, personally, so long as it isn't the bride or mother-to-be herself). Moving right along. It looks more personal, and less commercial, if you write the registry information on the invitation instead of using the store business card. That's what it is....a BUSINESS CARD. Up to the hostess, though.  If you want to do it, it's personal choice. I might wrinkle my nose, but it wouldn't keep me from attending.  :)
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Their names aren't common at ALL, and most of the attendees are family that have the same last name.  So,spelling shouldn't be a problem.  I don't think I want to use the store cards that the stores give out. 

I'll just do the invitations with both mom & dad's name (It's a co-ed, full family baby shower), and print little card inserts that has "Mom and Dad are registered at [Store #1] and [Store #2]. 

How does that sound?  Geeesh.  I hate this shitttt.   The thing is...  their family is uber casual, and the chances of them even side-eying this is slim. But, I still don't want to commit an etiquette blunder.  Most of them thought all of the etiquette worrying I was doing while planning the wedding was over the top.   They all thought I was crazy for not having the money dance!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_baby-shower-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c96ed17e-4ae4-4730-9c8d-408bf5bf1717Post:9f7d5e07-3ab2-4ccb-b0ba-1bd03bd833e6">Re: Baby shower question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby shower question : <strong>Their names aren't common at ALL, and most of the attendees are family that have the same last name</strong>.  So,spelling shouldn't be a problem.  I don't think I want to use the store cards that the stores give out.  I'll just do the invitations with both mom & dad's name (It's a co-ed, full family baby shower), and print little card inserts that has "Mom and Dad are registered at [Store #1] and [Store #2].  How does that sound?  Geeesh.  I hate this shitttt.   The thing is...  their family is uber casual, and the chances of them even side-eying this is slim. But, I still don't want to commit an etiquette blunder.  Most of them thought all of the etiquette worrying I was doing while planning the wedding was over the top.   They all thought I was crazy for not having the money dance!
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

My sister has a common first name but unusal spelling of it and has her DH's last name. When his aunt went shopping for my sister's baby registery, the aunt(who has the same last name as my sister) must have had a brain fart because she called my sister's MIL on how to spell her name(first and last name) because typing it in wasn't coming up with a registry.

I like the idea of having registered at Store #1 and Store #2 with both names.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_baby-shower-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:c96ed17e-4ae4-4730-9c8d-408bf5bf1717Post:0c24b43a-54e5-4c5d-a0a5-09f3845c4e94">Re: Baby shower question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby shower question : My sister has a common first name but unusal spelling of it and has her DH's last name. When his aunt went shopping for my sister's baby registery, the aunt(who has the same last name as my sister) must have had a brain fart because she called my sister's MIL on how to spell her name(first and last name) because typing it in wasn't coming up with a registry. I like the idea of having registered at Store #1 and Store #2 with both names.
    Posted by StephJean83[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. that is hilarious.   Hopefully, it won't be an issue. I'll put both names on the invites and on the registry cards.  I think SIL said that she is registring under both her and BIL's name, so either way, it will come up. 
  • I just helped throw a baby shower for a girl friend of mine, I put the registry information right on the card, but the shower was small (25 guest) and everyone invited was close knit so I knew they wouldn't mind.

I ordered the invites from vistaprint, they came out great!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards