Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Need a good photographer

With us living out of town and we are only in town for the next 2 weeks, we need to book our last vendor. A photographer. Please help. We are looking for someone good that is in the range from $3000-$5000 and offers an album and cd with the package. 

We found a few and were wondering what you all thought of them.

We really like this first one. They seem to be amazing and have great prices.

They seem to be good too but something about the half nude pictures irks me but if I can look past that maybe I would hire them?

She seems to be really good too and we like her style. 

So out of these three, which one do you like and why? Please help, we need to pick someone now. We already met with all 3 and just need to book one. AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Wedding stress!!!!!

Re: Need a good photographer

• edited December 2011
    Two of those were mentioned in this post below:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_photographer-recommendation

I used Dana Scheller, and she was amazing! I loved spending the day with her, and she has been great working with my album, and I do have the rights to my photos.

www.danascheller.com

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and welcome!

I don't know anything about the 3 photographers you posted.

My daughter and son-in-law got married this past October.  Their photographer was Joanna Fassinger.  She takes the most wonderful and amazing photos!  And she's incredibly nice and puts everyone at ease.  I totally love ALL of the photos from the wedding.  She really has a creative eye.  And she shoots not only the traditional shots, but also  beautiful and romantic photos. 

She is definitely in your price range, too.
    She has several packages, including ones with an album and also all photos on a CD.

Here's the link to her blog - you can see recent weddings.  (My daughter's wedding is the 2nd one down on their - Autumn & Derek).

http://joannafassinger.blogspot.com/

I highly recommend her!
  • CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend Jenni Grace (www.jennigracephotography.com) she's amazing.

I was looking into Photos By Nick - but once I found Jenni, I was sold so I didn't even bother scheduling a meeting with him. 

Page SLM - I think she used Craig Photography and her pictures were amazing!  Good luck!
    image Ivory
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!!!! So I took a look at the three sites you posted and out of the 3, I like the second one the best... Craig Photography. I think the style of their photographs is beautiful and I love the coloring/imagery. I also love that the photos look natural but still really fun and artistic :) Although, I will admit, they all seem great and I don't think you could go wrong with either of the three - just my opinion. 

We booked TheBrandStudio as our photographers for our May 2011 wedding. I LOVE them - Sean and John are the nicest people ever and their images are just amazing....  I also love their non-intrusive style - they go for capturing moments rather than poses which I love... definitely worth a look.

www.thebrandstudio.com

With that being said, out of your three options, I like the second one the best! HTH!! :) Good luck planning!!
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I just noticed that you are getting married the same day as my brothers wedding!!! :):)
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So... sorry for the tripple post (oops - I just keep forgetting things!) but I noticed your reservation about the second photographer (the half nude photos) and I wouldn't worry at all about those - it is a 'new' style/session called boudoir photography - typically (or at least as I've seen it), the bride-to-be gets them taken for her husband as a wedding gift - so don't be alarmed about the photos on his site!! :) It's ALL over the place here in Philadelphia!! GL
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, try not to stress!  A lot of ladies on this board have planned out of town, it does present some unique challenges but it is frequently done!

I like the second and third options you presented the best.

I too am using Dana Scheller, and I'm so excited to work with her!  She is great.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    I used Mark May Photography, which I always recommend.
    www.markmayphotography.com

However, I looked at the three you are looking at just now. I really like Craig Photography the best.

Photos by Nick-I'm sure it is just my opinion, but a lot of the photos look underexposed to me. It is probably his style, but it should show his best work and they are all very dark. Also, the one amazing photo of a couple in the moonlight, you can see the photographer's shadow in the shot. That's an obvious mistake and should have been photoshopped out. I'm also concerned about the "noise" in his photos, particularly the one of the bride dancing. I don't think he does much retouching to fix these little things.

I'm also really turned off by the poor spelling and tone of his voice in his blog. I'm not saying he's not good because he really is. He just isn't worth the 3k price tag in my opinion.

Craig Photography- I really love the light and airy look of their photos. Love them.

Joanne Bartone- Like her stuff, but not as much as Craig Photography's.

HTH!

• edited December 2011
    We used photosbynick.com and absolutely love his work. He is such a nice guy and a great person to work with. His wife assists him and she is such a doll. You can't go wrong with them. I have to disagree with the above comment about his images being dark. They look stunning above my fireplace. They sure do know how to capture the day.

If you are thinking about a videographer I would also like to recommend Gordon Schu. They worked so well with Nick and between the two of them I just love what I paid for.
  • cmg186cmg186 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bob Fritz!
    www.r<strong" rel="nofollow">www.r>>fritzphotography.com/
    rfritzphotography.blogspot.com/
  • edited December 2011
    C  (from above) was right.  I used Craig Photography.  They were awesome!  Elizabeth and John were so much fun and were so great.  I have a good amount of photos from them in my bio, so take a look (Click on the date in my siggy).  We didn't do an album with them, we did the digital rights and DVD package and we were very happy.  We had a pretty difficult reception site to shoot at (due to the light) and they were able to take some amazing pics by using the light correctly.

BTW, Elizabeth recently started doing boudoir photography (as mentioned above) and that's where the semi-nude pics come into play.  Definitely not part of the wedding shoots!
  • edited December 2011
    I just have to jump in and "third" Dana Scheller. She was absolutely spectacular!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Mary Schwarz of Birchtree Photography.  After my months of searching I came back to her.
  • edited December 2011
    We decided to go with Photos By Nick. We went back to meet with them a second time today to talk about the albums and we book him. He was so nice and had got more sample albums in this week that are amazing. That is what sold me on his work. The final product looks just stunning. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I will post pictures after our engagement session.
  • edited December 2011
    Another question. WHo are you girls using for your flowers? We just had our florist gives us a final quote and it is $2k above what we want to spend.
  • ShleeASTShleeAST member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We're using Mark May! He's great and we got a good price! :)

• apavlockapavlock member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Regarding your question about the florist - we're using Design Space.  We've heard really good things about them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards