Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Top tier of Cake

Hi Everyone:
I have been reading the boards since I got engaged, but haven't felt the need to post anything....until now that is!  i need help/advice.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chocolate cake with peanut butter icing, and wanted that to be my top tier of my three-tiered cake, the one you freeze and eat in a year?  But so far the bakers I have contacted tell me that the combination will be too HEAVY to be on the top of  my cake.  Has anyone tried that combo for their cake top?  I am really crushed, as I really wanted that to be my top layer!  

Re: Top tier of Cake

• Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your bakers are telling you that, find another baker- one who REALLY knows how to properly construct a wedding cake!  The flavor of cake doesn't matter if constructed properly- the weight is carried by the internal support structures (dowels rods, etc) and NOT by the cake itself.

Also, I'm assuming that your cake will be covered in fondant, since the peanut butter icing is a totally different color from the white buttercream!?
  • Options
    lyricweaverlyricweaver member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree, find another baker: The right person can do almost anything with a cake, and if that's what you want, go for it! :)

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    is the baker referring to the weight of the cake or fat content of the cake?  i don't know how well peanut butter icing freezes.
  • Options
    ericksbericksb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you love it that much, you might consider moving it to a lower tier so you can enjoy more of it! I've heard the cake top is not very good after sitting in a freezer for a year, and it'd be pretty disappointing if you went through all this work to find another cake maker and then it didn't taste good. Our cake person is giving us a free small cake for our 1-year anniversary so we don't have to worry about the freezing. Perhaps that's something to consider.
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Serve the top layer, don't wait to eat it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If a baker wants your money they will do the cake the way you want it done PERIOD!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Find another baker. Our baker will give us a small cake identical to the top tier for our anniversary bc I am not so keen on keeping it for a year. I have heard both things though, it tastes like crap regardless. And then I have also heard that if it is preserved correctly, it is edible. So I think this is really a personal call.
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you love it that much then move it down to another layer so more of your guests can enjoy it.  I have an unusual cake flavor as well, and I wanted it for the top tier so I could eat it a year later,  but I don't want to wait a year!  Serve the cake you buy that day, and ask your baker to make you an anniversary cake identical or similar to your top tier....and/or find a baker willing to do what you want...heck, I watch enough cake shows I could probably figure out how to support the cake. 
    We had the warning about carrot cake, but chose not to have that kind anyway. 

Or make your entire cake out of it...if it is that dense, it should be that dense all teh way through, and should be able to support it's own weight. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards