Michigan-Grand Rapids

Mackinaw Island

We will taking a drive up to Mackinaw Island around Labor Day.  We are hoping to do a 5 day getaway.  Do you guys have any suggestions of other cute towns or interesting things to go to on our way up or down?  Thanks.

Re: Mackinaw Island

• jleigh1902jleigh1902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holland, Grand Haven, Traverse CIty. Have fun! I haven't been to Mackinaw in a few years.
  • edited December 2011
    We are heading up there the Wednesday before Labor Day and coming home Sunday to beat the rush across the bridge. We really dont make any stops on the way up, but we love spending time in Mackinaw City. We stay in St Ignace. Its not on the way up, but less then 2 hours from the brdige is TQ Falls (sorry, really bad about spelling it) - absolutley beautiful. The Shipwreck Museum is really cool too - thats at Whitefish Point.

Have a great trip!!
  • edited December 2011
    Drive through Petoskey and Harbor Springs-- there's art festivals going on for the holiday, and there's fabulous food. Have lunch at Julienne Tomatoes in Petoskey, and get cookies from Tom's Mom's Cookies (the best cookies on the planet) or ice cream from Yummy's in Harbor Springs. Check out Grandpa Shorter's in Petoskey for fun shopping. Not to mention Petoskey and Harbor are just beautiful-- I love spending my summers there.
  • edited December 2011
    We went there last Fall and drove through Petoskey and Harbor Springs, theres several scenic spots to stop along the way. While at Mackinaw Island, we rented bikes (which was a blast!) up to Arch Rock, where my fiancée proposed! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • angeljoy222angeljoy222 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely visit Petoskey- that's where I'll be getting married August 14! It's gorgeous there. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards