Not Engaged Yet

Do you buy "deals" like Groupons?

Wondering if you all buy Groupons or other deals? 

Do you actually use them after purchasing?

What are your favorite "deals"?

I am signed up for about 5 different deal sites and buy all kinds of things from them.  I've let a couple things expire which sucks, but I have saved a bunch of money on things that I'm going to buy anyways too.

My latest finds are the facial that Im super excited about getting this Saturday (from DealChicken)!  Description from the website...   The massage uses heat of the towel, combined with eucalyptus aromatherapy, to soothe and relax the muscles. The therapeutic effects of alternating the hot towel and the cold stones aid in the cells in the face in obtaining more oxygen and nutrients. Cool stones placed on the eyes, combined with gentle face massage helps relieve sinus congestion, eliminate eye puffiness and reduce tension in the face and jaw.   I've been having so many sinus headaches and migraines lately and I tend to hold tension in my jaw and neck when stressed...I am soooo ready for this! 

Another deal that I bought and used to knock out some of my Christmas shopping was for Kidorable (from Mamapedia).  I got the following for $26.45 (after shipping).

Umbrellas for BF's neice and nephew

Hat for my cousin's son (who is obsessed with dinos)

Another Mamapedia deal that I bought is below...my son loves getting his own "mail"! :)
One year Subscription & 3 Exciting Reader Series Books (57% off cover price) http://deals.mamapedia.com/deals/national-geographic-little-kids-holiday-bundle?ref_id=446599&utm_source=share_link&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=national-geographic-little-kids-holiday-bundle&utm_term=446599&utm_content=other
ETA: I left the U out of the title cause I stayed up on pinterest too late last night...haha.  And WTF is up with this brown?  Haha. I loathe Mondays.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do you buy "deals" like Groupons?

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I use them occassionally, I don't allow myself to have too many at once in case I forget. The ones I've used were for bbq accessories, stationary and a bunch of restaurants.

I currently have one for vistaprint that will need to be shipped to FI's parents in CA since Canada and NY aren't eligible for it.
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I get an email from OneSpout, which sends me my local deals from all the sites (Groupon, LivingSocial, WagJag, etc) in one email. I haven't bought anything, but I am on the lookout for a couple of specific coupons.

I won't buy something unless I was intending to use the service anyway. And I tend to research the deals to death, since they're often for companies I've never heard of. Sometimes they're not as great of a deal as they seem to be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_deals-like-groupons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d4594643-1922-413a-bf0a-eb69b53807ccPost:285a5e0a-6771-49e8-94a0-06dacb085594">Re: Do you buy "deals" like Groupons?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I use them occassionally, I don't allow myself to have too many at once in case I forget. The ones I've used were for bbq accessories, stationary and a bunch of restaurants. I currently have one for vistaprint that will need to be shipped to FI's parents in CA since Canada and NY aren't eligible for it.
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I bought a $10 for $50 Vista Print one and ordered custom Christmas cards and embroidered stockings for DS, BF  and I just last week too! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • elanniselannis member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have just discovered Groupon. I only bought one deal and was planning to use it soon after. I probably wouldn't buy something if I didn't intend to use it in the next couple of weeks. I just want to make sure that I'm actually saving money and not just buying stuff that I would never buy anyways because it's cheaper than usual, lol.
    -Ely

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • polkadot111polkadot111 member
    edited December 2011
    Good steal!  Yeah, I use them. FI and I have gotten tons of them. Issue is, some of them we let expire. Liike dance lessons. We got 5 dance lessons for $40 at a really well known dance studio in the area. Too bad we totally forgot about those... haha.
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like Groupon, and Living Social. I do use them, thanks to the awesome phone apps they each have. I've but them mostly for spa treatments, and restaurants that I like or have really wanted to check out but needed an excuse to push us out the door. I also like the Getaway/ Escapes, not that I've bought one, but I like to day dream...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I love Groupon and LivingSocial deals!  I have 2 that I am really looking forward to using.  One is for a facial, mani, pedi, and eyebrow wax.  The other is for a balayage highlight session and hair cut. 

FI and I also took a beginner's scuba diving course with a Living Social coupon.

I haven't let any of mine expire yet. 

Also, restaurant.com is awesome!  I've found some great restaurants that I would never had visited before by using their coupons.
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Every now and then.  I get the emails, but most of the time I can't do them. When it's food related, it's hard because it's usually not gluten free, and when it's for other things I usually can't justify the money.

Maybe once I get a real job after my internship I can look at groupons again :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    edited December 2011
    I did this groupon and it was ah-mazing!
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/stevenswood-lodge

Groupon for a luxury suite package at the Stevenswood Spa Resort, which includes breakfast, gifts, a winery tour, a wine & olive oil tasting, a $50 gift certificate to a local gift boutique, and a choice of massage in addition to a night's stay in a luxury suite (up to $875 value).
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • doubleSS07doubleSS07 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I love Groupon and Living Social.  We get stuff from there all the time.  We usually get it for restaurants we've been wanting to try or old favorites, cool bars, cheap movie tickets was an awesome one.  My latest Groupon is for boot camp classes 3x's a week for 1 month at this kickass place for $25! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Groupon and Livingsocial! I have let one expire (Thanks to my foot surgery) but I've used the rest. I've gotten a few fitness classes, hair, nails, and 1/2 off coffee by my house.
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Groupon and Living Social. We've used mostly food related ones, but we did one for a winery that also got us half off on a box of wine. I don't think I've let any expire yet, but I should probably check on the ones I have right now :)
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Groupon (and Living Social). We tend to buy a lot of food and entertainment ones. I love the deals for local places. It's a nice way to get us out of the house.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Groupon and LivingSocial haven't made it to my little town yet, but I used to get them all the time when I was in Houston.
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I use Groupon and I've only had great experiences with it. I can really only keep up with one or else I would sign up for Living Social. What I like about Groupon is that currently i have 2 that are unused and they send me updates not to forget to use them. But only like, once a month, not once a week or anything annoying like that. 

I might start my unlimited month of yoga this week, actually. Good deal! 
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have Groupon and Living Social, but I find more useful stuff on Groupon.  I've bought massages, spray tanning, car washes, vistaprint & mixbook coupons, etc.  They are hit and miss a lot of the times, but I've definitely gotten some good buys from there.
    Anniversary
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Also, for those of you that have had things expire, I'm not sure if it's the same for Living Social, but for Groupon, you don't lose that money, you can just apply it to another Groupon purchase.  Just in case you didn't know that...
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_deals-like-groupons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d4594643-1922-413a-bf0a-eb69b53807ccPost:5c6a26a1-37a5-4bc1-88e0-24e271562659">Re: Do you buy "deals" like Groupons?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did this groupon and it was ah-mazing! <a href="http://www.groupon.com/deals/stevenswood-lodge" rel="nofollow">http://www.groupon.com/deals/stevenswood-lodge</a> Groupon for a luxury suite package at the Stevenswood Spa Resort, which includes breakfast, gifts, a winery tour, a wine & olive oil tasting, a $50 gift certificate to a local gift boutique, and a choice of massage in addition to a night's stay in a luxury suite (up to $875 value).
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds like heaven!  WANT!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards