Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Drink selection?

To set the stage, I am having a small backyard wedding. (50-60 people). For alcohol, I am only providing champagne for toasts. Afternoon wedding, no dancing, and alchy isn't our thing. Not a big deal.

My real question is with non-alchoholic drinks. Do I need to serve a full range of soft drinks? I would just like to provide big pitchers of water, and then two virgin signature drinks, one a cranberry lime fizzy drink, and the other some type of lemonade. Personally, I dont want to because I think cans look cheap, liters even cheaper, and bottles are expensive. Plus people can just drink water.

Re: Drink selection?

• edited December 2011
    I love both your drink ideas.  I think those two, plus water, will be plenty.  You could always dress up the water with cucumber, mint and lime too.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Think about your guests here.  I'm not a soda drinker, but I know people that consume several glasses of diet coke with each meal, or people that always like some kind of soda.  If you have people like that invited, it would be courteous to get some additional beverages for them.  I would get cans and then have cups with ice for people to pour the soda into so they're not drinking out of the can. 
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto jessicabessica.  I think your drink options sound good but I would add a soda, even if it's just diet/regular coke.  And/or maybe an ice tea? And have cups available so people can pour it into cups and not have to carry around a can. 
  • edited December 2011
    You can get a keg of craft root beer, if that fits your budget. Much cheaper than beer and you can normally get them at a local brewery or beer distributor.

You could also do a "make your own italian soda" bar. Just get seltzer and then bottles of flavored syrup (like Torani) with pumps and people can mix their own "soda."

I might also throw in some ice tea.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_drink-selection?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e7151c27-2f22-41b7-98fb-5b8d91d7c4ebPost:c82d0440-42dd-4d0d-9227-a37f53631996">Re: Drink selection?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can get a keg of craft root beer, if that fits your budget. Much cheaper than beer and you can normally get them at a local brewery or beer distributor. You could also do a "make your own italian soda" bar. Just get seltzer and then bottles of flavored syrup (like Torani) with pumps and people can mix their own "soda." I might also throw in some ice tea.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I love both of these ideas. I definitely would offer some type of soda.  Personally, I'm not a soda drinker, but most people are.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_drink-selection?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:e7151c27-2f22-41b7-98fb-5b8d91d7c4ebPost:c82d0440-42dd-4d0d-9227-a37f53631996">Re: Drink selection?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can get a keg of craft root beer, if that fits your budget. Much cheaper than beer and you can normally get them at a local brewery or beer distributor. You could also do a "make your own italian soda" bar. Just get seltzer and then bottles of flavored syrup (like Torani) with pumps and people can mix their own "soda." I might also throw in some ice tea.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

<div>Screw the diet coke addicts, these drinks sound awesome.  I'm changing my vote :)</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Ehhhh......I am the type who will only drink calories if they come with a buzz.  I'd at least offer some diet option. The cute drinks would probably be wasted on wackos like me, but they sounds AMAZINGLY delicious for normal people.  But there are a lot of us diet soda wackos out there. 
  • edited December 2011
    My problem with your signature drinks is they're both tart. I'd have something that isn't citrus-based. You could have iced tea or root beer vel cetera.
  • AbbyjensenAbbyjensen member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the opinions! I drink water 90% of the time (other than that it's coffee), so I have a hard time figuring out what to serve for drinks.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I can drink Diet Coke by the case. So I would be lost at a party that didnt serve it. If you really dont want to serve soda, I would  argee with other posters and say serve Ice Tea. Because then you are actually adding 2 drinks to your menu. Ice tea and an Arnold Palmer (Ice Tea and Lemonade)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards