Arizona-Phoenix

Laser Hair Removal on Monday!? Lots of questions...

Okay so I just made an appointment to get my first session ever of laser hair removal on Monday for my bikini area. And now I'm getting scared! I started researching online and I'm reading all this experiences of the pain being unbearable! So for those of you who've gone through it, how was the pain for you? And what are some tricks to prevent pain? And also, I just realized I might be starting my period this weekend so should I reschedule? But the place I'm getting it at is NuU Medspa which has locations in Scottsdale, North Scottsdale, and Arrowhead. The reason I'm going there is only because I won a free treatment. So I need reviews! Has anyone been there before? Please, please, please give me some feedback. I need it. Haha. Thanks in advance!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Laser Hair Removal on Monday!? Lots of questions...

• JMejia1972JMejia1972 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Never been to Nu Med Spa but I had had both electrolysis and Laser hair removal. And although not super pleasant or fun, it's seriously not that bad. It is NOT unbearable at all. Take some Advil about 1 hour prior to appointment, 3 should do it and you should be fine.
  • LedZeppelinLedZeppelin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does hurt, but it's tolerable. Like PP said, take some pain relievers beforehand. Also, being on or right before your period can make you more sensitive, thus making the pain worse. Also, avoid caffiene before your treatment, as it also makes you more sensitive (not to mention, jittery and anxious).

Most likely, they will have a machine that blows very cold air onto the area while they laser, that will help ease the pain. At the very least, they may have ice packs you can apply before hand.

I don't have any experience with Nu U medspa, though. Sorry I can't be much help with that part.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I reschedule for the week after my period. Thanks for the feedback so far. How would you rate the pain? Is it really like a rubber-band being snapped as they always put it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it feels like being stabbed by a tiny, hot needle. I know that doesn't help your fear, but I think that's a better description than the rubber band snapping. 

Keep in mind, you can always ask the tech to go slower or faster, or to stop for a minute to give you a breather. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I've been getting my underarms and pubic area done using pulsed light hair removal and I have to say that its pain is about even with being waxed, but lasts about half the time (I'm done in 3-7 minutes!) I think pulsed light may be faster, but the pain is about the same. I agree with the "more like a hot needle" than a rubber band, but it's really not that bad. I take some pain pills about an hour before hand.  Also ask if they have a numbing cream they can place on the areas to be zapped, it helps a bit. You may jump or if you're like me, squeak, but it's done so fast you won't even have a chance to chicken out.
    I enjoy going to my appointments and seeing how much less hair grows back next time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Marissa0717Marissa0717 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was freaking over about how much it would hurt but my doctor's office does a free trial/consult before starting. She did it on my sholder and the pain was no where near what I was expecting. When I heard "rubber band snap" I was thinking intense pain but it was much more mild. More like a needle prick described above.
    Although I am sure the bikini area will be a little more sensitive than my sholder, I wouldn't worry much about it. My doc also recommended Aleve an hour before the appointment. She also said they have numbing cream they use in their office if it is just too much pain for people.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marissa, honestly, it was not helpful of her to do a trial treatment on your shoulder at all, unless you have a lot of coarse hair on your shoulder. The feeling is drastically different in an area that has no hair vs. one that has a lot of hair, particularly when that hair is coarse. That trial treatment will not be a good indication of what your bikini treatment will feel like.

Also, IPL may be faster than some lasers, but it is definitely slower than others. Also, IPL is not as effective for hair removal as a true laser. a 755 Alexandrite or 1064 yag are both good lasers for hair removal. Which one you use just depends on your skin tone.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Oh gosh. Haha. I am really nervous. I'm a big pansy when it comes to pain. I hope I can handle it because I've been wanting to do this for a long time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just thought of another questions... I know, I have a lot. But how awkward will it be? I know that everyone says it's not big deal for the person doing it... but really? It's gonna be hard for me. I've never done anything like this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards