Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Opinions please

I started looking for a ceremony reading the other day, and I'm not really crazy about most of the traditional poems and such. I found a short monologue from the movie Shall We Dance that I really like. Please let me know what you think!

"We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet..... I mean, what does any one life mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things..... all of it, all the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed because I will be your witness'".

If you have any suggestions please let me know, and we also need a song for the ceremony. Thanks!

Re: Opinions please

• I don't have any suggestions, but that's a really nice excerpt. I love it!
  • i think you should modify it a little bit to sound a little more like advice or a statement not so much a straight as you have retyped it. But its nice
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • It's sweet.  My suggestion is to look at the Persian poet, Rumi, too.  He's got some really touching advice about love and marriage, etc.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • I like that! I second Rumi and we're going to use Sonnet 17 by Pablo Neruda. It's always been a favorite of ours ;)
  • i recently landed on "Short Trip Home" by joshua bell for ceremony music... really lovely. 

I'm a big fan of traditional poetry, and would suggest e e cummings  "somewhere i have never travelled"... it's more metaphorical, and really sentimental.  Also, Love's philosophy by shelley and "if thou must love me" by Elizabeth Browning are worth checking out...

sorry, both my fiancee and i are english majors, so poetry is a must for our wedding... !!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards