Catholic Weddings

NFP'ers - Did this happen to you?

Hi! I just found this board! Cool to find a Catholic board on the knot. Anyways.... I am about 6 months away from my wedding and my FI and & started our NFP classes. I never really paid much attention to my cycle before, but knew I was on the shorter side (25ish days). Now that I am charting...it's all gone hay-wire! The first cycle was 21 days and the second was 14 days!!! What the...? I am laid off and lost my health insurance, so I can't afford to see my usual OBGYN, I am trying to look into free clinics. Anyone else expierence this? My mom says it's probably stress. Thanks!

Re: NFP'ers - Did this happen to you?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    it probably is stress. as long as you appear to be ovulating each month, i wouldnt worry to much.  the only thing that may be problematic for you is if your luteal phase is too short (this is the phase after you ovulate).  and then its only a probelm if you are trying to get pregnant, versus trying to avoid.
  • wparsons1223wparsons1223 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Calypso! Mom is usually right on these things.... but nice to hear some one say it too. Of course, now I am stressing about this on top of the job issue and the wedding! Aggh! So stress is certainly a regular occurance in my life at the moment. :)
  • scoffindafferscoffindaffer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Probably stress but one more variable, but isn't it werid how that happens? My body does the same thing.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would consult Planned Parenthood.   They are not there to just supply abortions, IUDs, etc.  They are there to help you plan your parenthood.  They are free or minimul cost.hth
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, Planned Parenthood doesn't know anything about NFP and they'll specifically tell you it doesn't work. So will many doctors -- many people seem to confuse NFP with the rhythm method, which it most definitely is NOT. Don't go to Planned Parenthood. In addition to them being anti-NFP, there should be some grave concerns raised (huge moral red flags, you might say) about going to a place like Planned Parenthood that is such a huge participant in abortion. Your profile says you're in Lansing, Michigan. There is a free clinic in Lansing, Carefree Medical -- www.carefree.com . There is also a free clinic in Pinckney, I think it's called Mission Medical Clinic? You can also find NFP-friendly doctors listed at www.omsoul.com... perhaps one of them is willing to work out a payment plan or something. Did you take NFP classes through CCLI? If so, you can have your teaching couple or CCLI Central review your charts for free. If not, maybe you can call the diocesan office of family life to find a teacher in your area who could review your charts. Your cycle chaos is probably related to stress. In addition, with such short cycles, I'd be wondering whether they were "true" cycles, or whether you experienced spotting after day 21 of the first cycle, marked it as the start of a new cycle (when it was really just mid-cycle spotting), and then ovulated thereafter. That would make more sense to me, especially with the 14-day second cycle being the length of an average luteal phase. However, without seeing your charts it's difficult to say for sure.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the replies. We really do think it is stress. We had another NFP class yesterday and spoke with the couple teaching it after class. They are reviewing the charts and we decided to see what happens this cycle. So far it normal. They have also given me a few recommendations for doctors. I am healthy otherwise.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I don't know where you live but PP in NYC nearest me has copies of TCOYF which they will give to anyone asking for the info
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the information ootmother2. However, I am not interested in using Planned Parenthood as I have ethical / religious disagreements with them. I do appreciate your efforts to help and advise.Gulfcoaster - Thank you for the information on the clinics near me. My FI also found them after doing some online research for me (he is so sweet!).
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just to confirm PP varies greatly from city to city, region to region.  there are very supportive and informative and unbiased ones and some that are awful, just like anything else in life.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I suppose it's possible that some Planned Parenthood locations attempt to be unbiased. However, although the advice to go to Planned Parenthood was probably well-intentioned, I suspect that most individuals who take the Church's teachings on contraception seriously enough to use NFP exclusively probably are not going to consider going somewhere like Planned Parenthood. wparsons1223 -- I wish you luck finding a new job and health insurance. I have relatives in Michigan, and I know things are tough there. I hope the NFP teaching couple has some answers for you on your charts! Good luck.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    the problem with going to PP is that in doing so, you are supporting an organization that supports abortion.  even if you dont pay a dime for their services, your use of the services shows support of abortion.while there are some catholics out there who somehow find ways to justify being pro-choice, the bottom line is that the Church is adamantly against abortion, and their position on the matter is crystal clear.
  • Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AMEN, AMEN and AMEN, Calypso.  wparsons, I'll be praying for your work (may St. Joseph intercede for you before the throne of our Savior.)  God bless your marriage!
  • melissahofmelissahof member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sure it is stress....part of our NFP discussion was talking about how much stress can effect your cycle! We just had our engagement encounter and the NFP portion was very informative. Some family friends happened to be teaching it and I talked to them for awhile. The wife said her cycle was VERY irregular and she was totally healthy (they had 4 kids). Is there anyway you can call your old OBGYN since you can't see him/her? I know mine will at least return my phone call and talk to me if I can't see her. Sometimes, they are nice enough to return a call and might ease your mind with a brief conversation?! Just an idea.....
  • edited December 2011

if you're off a job you just had for a while, you could have been synching up with some of the ladies at work you saw a lot, or synching up with a family member/roommate at home if you are seeing them a lot more often too. stress is more likely, but that could be part of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards