Illinois

wedding venue (Country Squire in Grayslake) just closed!

Does anyone have experience with a venue closing on you?  I booked a wedding at the country squire in grayslake for an August wedding and found out today that they were sold/closed last night. I have not been able to speak to a manger to talk about getting my money back ($1500 deposit) but I wanted to see if this happened to anyone and if they were able to get their deposit back.  Now I have to go back to the start and look for a new venue!  Not a good day! 

Re: wedding venue (Country Squire in Grayslake) just closed!

• Sorry to hear about that.  I would contact the Illinois Attorney General.  They have a form on their website.  It may just be the venue decided to close and have the money to refund your deposit, but you should get something in writing with an authority as soon as possible just to protect yourself. 
  • Lenore - sent you a PM. 
  • I called the Grayslake Chamber of Commerce.  They said they did confirm it was purchesed by Lake Forest Hospital but that they believe they are still open for banquets.  She didn't sound entirely sure so this still isn't officially confirmed but thought I would share.  If you get any more info, PM me.  Thanks!
  • I dropped by the Country Squire on the way home.  When I arrived there were large moving trucks and dumpsters in the parking lot.  They are moving everything out of the building.  I went in and luckily the office manager Karen D. was on site.  She confirmed that the properity had been sold at some point but they had agreed upon a 3 year lease to remain doing business for that time.  The new owners came back to them with what they deemed unreasonable demands on improvements that were needed on the building that they refuse to comply with.  She stated it is not a done deal till 2pm tomorrow but they didn't seem hopeful an agreement would be made.  They will be in touch with all customers soon and refund all deposits, she expected that to happen within 14 days.  They are hoping they can provide us with options for other venues as well.  Good luck finding a place.  We are lucky to have a bunch of time to make other arrangements.  Their phones will be back up and running in a couple days. 
  • Thanks so much for the info!!!  I have been stressing all day.  I didnt get your message.  Are you having your wedding there too?  I was going to file a dispute with my credit card company because I havent heard from anyone.  I am so upset that I have to go back to the begining of planning.  I do not have a good feeling about them staying open because they are moving everything out.  I hope to hear from them soon!  I want that money so I can book a new place.

Thanks again for the information and for going by there!
  • Sorry to hear about the Country Squire closing in Grayslake, IL. I know it will be a hectic time for anyone who has a wedding or party booked at Country Squire. Consider giving Chevy Chase Country Club in Wheeling a call to see if your date is currently available. Jan and Wendy will walk you through all the details of your special day. 847.465.2311 
  • Lenore - I spent a lot of time yesterday calling other venues, if you would like a list of who I contacted just let me know.  I would be happy to share.
  • my wedding was scheduled for may 2011, i just rebooked it with KEMPER LAKES GOLF CLUB in kildeer... they matched my original contract with CS 100%, PRICES AND ALL!!!!! go there!!!!! talk to jessica!!!

also DOUBLETREE in MUNDELEIN is offering help as well!!!! don't stress, other venues will make this better :) 

• oh yeah, i was on vacation when my photographer called me to let me know of the rumor... i confirmed it yesterday while i was still on vacation...one of my bridesmaids did all the legwork and found me other venue options while i was on the plane home.  like i mentioned before, please call KEMPER LAKES GOLF CLUB, DOUBLETREE in MUNDELEIN... there are plenty others, if you have any questions or want help please PM me and i will give you contact info. 

• last thing... if you paid your deposit via credit, dispute the charge with the number on back of your card... we have gotten complete run around about refund, our bank is refunding it tmrw...
  • Thanks for the tips Kerri!  I just called my credit card and they are going to credit my account within 48 hour!  I am so relieved!  And I left a message at Kemper Golf Course to talk with them.  My future mother in law said it is a very nice place.  I am still upset I have to do all the work again but at least I got my money for the venue back.  I feel so bad for people that had weddings with dates closer to now.  It is unbelieveable.  I wonder if anyone was supposed to get married there this weekend.  Let me know if you hear of any other vendors that are offering to help CS brides. 
  • my pleasure!! Kemper is amazing, just wait till you talk to Jessica there, she is wonderful... I guess this happened with another venue out this way 3 years ago and all the local venues basically shared the 30 weddings and helped out all the brides. 

• My wedding is May 5, 2012 and i just found out today around 5 pm  from my photographer that they were closing, i couldn't believe it. I am now back at square one with finding a place and i need to find one fast and on the same date bc i have out of town guests coming and honeymoon booked and cars ect. i just can't beleive that they wouldn't contact people to let them know what was going on. The crazy part is that i was on the phone with the banquet manager 2 days ago and not once did he mention it...all he said was that they were going to take care of everything and that he would call back later this week to set an apointment for our food tasting?!?!?! Now does that make any sense, don't they realize that things like this take time to plan and find...I am glad that i still have 3 months to find a place bc i couldn't image having to do this at a faster rate, my head is spinning and i just hope that in the end i get my money back bc we gave them a big chunk of money! 

Thank so much for all the posts and new info! 

Ana
  • everything happens for a reason.  just keep that in mind. 
  • My heart goes out to all those brides who are being affected by the CS closing. Especially for of you who's weddings are right around the corner. Wedding planning is stressful enough without this as an added issue.

If I may recommend the Round Lake Beach Cultural & Civic Center.We just had our wedding there in October and from experience, I already knew how great the place was, but hearing it come from all of our guests only made us happier with our decision to host our reception there. We ended up with about 160 guests. Their preferred caterer prepared an awesome buffet for us. Even my cousin who pretty much goes to one wedding a month said its probably the best food she has had at a wedding. The location is easy to find and not too far from 94. If you're looking for a place, I highly recommend it.

The Centers phone number is 847-201-9032 for more information.

Good Luck to everyone & keep us updated.

• I cannot believe that CS has not called the brides yet!!!  That is unbelieveable.  Who knows how many people do not know.  I was talking with Karen and she seemed to have more important things to worry about than getting my deposit back.  I am glad my CC will dispute it and refund my $.  I hope everyhing works out for everyone.
  • I wish that George the guy who i was dealing with would have let me pay with a credit card, we gave him checks so now who knwos when we will get our money back. I just hope its soon bc i can't afford not get it back. 

This whole situtation is crazy and I still can't beleive that they haven't called anyone either. 
  • Thanks for the great words! I am here to help everyone. I have a lot of dates open in 2012.
    Call me at 847.726.5544 or jtrzop@kemperlakesgolfclub.com

• Hello Everyone.

I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. The last wedding venue that closed the brides/grooms started a blog and sent the story to the evening news. Kemper Lakes like other venues in the area are offering to help you out. If I have the date open or if your date is somewhat flexible I am matching the prices from CS. Just bring me your contract and package infomration. We have a beautiful venue and elegant grouds. Call me at 847.726.5544 or jtrzop@kemperlakesgolfclub.com.

Everything happens for a reason. I will make your wedding day magical!
    Promise!
    Jessica Trzop
    Food and Beverage Director
    Kemper Lakes Golf Club.
  • Jessica, thank you so much for all of your help! I am so glad that you are willing to work with all of us! 

Ana
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois_wedding-venue-just-closed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:617Discussion:a5f20dce-a422-4f2b-a325-1764e68f71f8Post:fd4959e7-36fd-4cff-905b-7b93ff8d61aa">Re: wedding venue (Country Squire in Grayslake) just closed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is May 5, 2012 and i just found out today around 5 pm  from my photographer that they were closing, i couldn't believe it. I am now back at square one with finding a place and i need to find one fast and on the same date bc i have out of town guests coming and honeymoon booked and cars ect. i just can't beleive that they wouldn't contact people to let them know what was going on. The crazy part is <strong>that i was on the phone with the banquet manager 2 days ago and not once did he mention it...all he said was that they were going to take care of everything and that he would call back later this week to set an apointment for our food tasting?!?!?!</strong> Now does that make any sense, don't they realize that things like this take time to plan and find...I am glad that i still have 3 months to find a place bc i couldn't image having to do this at a faster rate, my head is spinning and i just hope that in the end i get my money back bc we gave them a big chunk of money!  Thank so much for all the posts and new info!  Ana
    Posted by anaghunter[/QUOTE]

I called last week and talked to George. I was told to plan on sending my next deposit and schedule a tasting... not a word about being in contract negotions, being for sale, being under new ownership; nothing. We, too, paid by check so we'll see how long it takes to get the money back.
  • The daily hearld JUST posted an article today about the closing.  I emailed them on Monday that they closed.  Now hopefully it will get the word out to other brides CS has failed to call.
  • I have gotten in contact with a news paper around my area and they said that the owner should be mailing checks with refunds within the next 15 dyas! Now lets hope they keep their word and everything goes as planned. 

Still no call from them though, i just find it really furstrating that they would still ask for depoists and make appointments for food tasting when someone knew this was going on. 

People don't seem to be concerned with the fact that the brides have made plans for out of town guests, honeymoons and so much more! 
  • I spoke to Karen at the Squire yesterday.  She asked if I still had my receipt documenting the deposit.  She wanted me to email her a scanned copy, stating it would expedite things.  I was able to send it this morning.  I will keep updating as more progresses for me. 

If you have not called the Squire yet, do so.  You can also still email them via the website at csquire.net.  Provide them with your deposit receipt.  I also asked them if they had other venues who were open for my date that would honor their pricing.  Hope to hear back shortly. 
  • Oh gawd yes my son found out about Country Squire last week. They had booked there for October of this year.
  • Mention Country Squire when you call and Receive $150.00 off our  6 hour Wedding DJ package for 2012!

http://www.drmentertainment.com

Experience the difference!

Lake County's MOST affordable FULL time DJ company!

2012 filling fast so call or email us today!
  • For anyone still looking for a place I really suggest Kemper Lakes Golf Club, they are amazing and the palce is bautiful! 

I also looked at these couple of places that seem to be in the same price range as CS 

• i've been to many weddings at Bristol Court Banquets in Mount Prospect, it might be a little far for you, but definitely worth the drive. the food is amazing & the room is gorgeous. i just helped my best friend plan her wedding there & there are NO sales people, you get to talk directly to the owners... they are SOOO nice! i've never seen or heard a bad review about them... you should definitely check them out. (bristolcourt.com)
  • Hello Brides,

If you are looking for a new reception hall, please contact me at teresa@lakecounty.org.  I represent the Lake County Convention and Visitors Bureau in Lake County.  We provide clients in need of meeting space, hotel room rates, and group attractions.  We do this in hopes of bringing more event like yours to the area. 
    How this works is I share the details of you event to the Lake  County venders, they will then contact you with availability and pricing. 
    I am really sorry to see you all go through this mess with County Squire, but I hope I cann help. 
  • I WENT TO THE GRAYSLAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT TO FILE A FRAUD REPORT.  THEY INFORMED ME THAT IT IS ACTUALLY A CIVIL CASE INSTEAD OF FRAUD. THEY FILED THE CIVIL REPORT AND ARE WILLING TO HELP CONTACT THE COUNTRY SQUIRE WITH REGARDS TO FINDING OUT ABOUT DEPOSIT REFUNDS.  I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE WHO HAS NOT GOTTEN THEIR DEPOSIT BACK TO GO AND FILL OUT A POLICE REPORT.

My fiance and I booked at the Country Squire on December 28th.  At NO time did George say that they were planning on selling or closing.  :(  Our wedding is scheduled for the end of May. 

I found out about the Country Squire closing from a friend.  We paid for our deposit with a credit card.  The company has temporarily refunded the money (or we are not paying on it yet).

A lady from the Country Squire called me over a week ago to tell me that they are refunding the deposits.  I informed her that if the deposit was not refunded by last Friday I would follow through on a police report.  Friday came and went with no refund. 

Again, I encourage anyone who is still waiting on their deposit to go to the police department to fill out a report.  They sold this property to the hospital next to them.  I would guess they got a pretty penny for the property.  There is NO reason why we are waiting this long for our deposits to be refunded!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards