Getting in Shape

Extra Stress = Not Being Healthy (Rant)

Hey Knotties,

I occassionally stalk this board, but have not been very active.  I have a major stress issue right now.  My wedding is next July, but I am currently studying to take the bar (in case you aren't sure what that is, its the Boards for lawyers).  I have been super stressed out.  I'm not really planning the wedding, beyond the location, at this point, but I do use it to sometimes step away from study world.

Ever since I truly started studying at the beginning of July, I have eaten like complete crap and have not been able to stay on schedule with working out.  I have tried everything.  I even scheduled out the days and times and what I would be doing as far as working out, but feel like I can't stop studying.  And...when I'm stressed or upset, I eat, yummy foods, chips, cakes, cookies, anything I shouldn't! 

There's another month left before I finally take this exam, but lately, I've looked in the mirror and just want to cry because I can tell I've gained weight.  It is just adding another level of stress to what's going on in my life and I'm not really sure how I should handle it and what to do to get into a better workout schedule, that I stick to.

Thanks for listening.  I appreciate it.

Andria

Re: Extra Stress = Not Being Healthy (Rant)

• I'm so sorry to hear it's so stressful for you at this time.  I'm in the middle of applying to law school, and I hear the horror stories about the Bar.  When I was writing a thesis back in undergrad, I was really stressed out and overate, gaining 10 pounds the final semester.  However, I lost it all right after I was done with school.  Just be kind on yourself until you take the Bar.  You will lose it!, and there's time before the wedding  In the meantime, make sure you take time for yourself to relax, as you'll be more productive with your studying.  Go for a walk or do yoga.  Or insist that your FI give you a back massage!  Hehe, at least that's what I ask from my FI when I'm stressed out.  :-) 
  • mczomczo member
    First Comment
    I took the Bar about 7 years ago (my god, has it really been that long??) and I can tell you that while it is an incredibly stressful time, it will pass, it will be over eventually, and life will return to some kind of relatively normal state. 

In the meantime, don't let your weight be yet another source of stress.  Just accept that this is a really "abnormal" period of time in your life, and if you eat a little bit crappy and gain a few pounds, it's not the end of the world. Remember that most of your friends from law school, and law school grads all over the country, are in the same boat.  Maybe promise yourself you'll at least try to take a 20 minute walk each day, and eat at least one fruit and one veggie a day.  Beyond that, do what you need to do to get through this crazy time!    

As the prior poster said, be kind to yourself!! 
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2010
    I'm in the middle of writing my doctoral thesis, getting funding for my next research position, and finishing up my current research position.  Believe me - I understand how stressful all this becomes.  I'll actually be finished the day before the multi-state part of the bar! 

Anyway, I agree with the previous poster.  Don't let your weight become another stressor.  I've actually found that going to the gym is pleasant break from working all the time (and I'm working all the time right now.  I haven't seen my friends in weeks!) but if you can't make, don't beat yourself up.  Come July 28th or 29th (depending on your state) life will go back to normal and when that happens, you'll still have 11 months to your wedding = plenty of time!

Good luck on the bar!  What state you are taking?
  • I'm currently studying for the bar, too!  It's definitely stressful, but try to look at it this way:  eating healthy foods and working out will help your performance on the exam.  I feel less edgy after some intense cardio, and I think that watching my diet closely and taking vitamin supplements make it somewhat less likely that I'll get sick.  Treat it like part of the bar prep process and maybe it will seem more important?
    Less than a month now!  Are you doing barbri/Kaplan?  GL!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much for your words.  It is good to know that I am not the only one that goes through similar situations and that I am not completely crazy.  Hopefully, I can get back into my old swing.  I was doing a food and exercise law, but feel like that is taking too much time from studying.  As soon as I stop doing the logs, I stop doing the good things for myself. 
    I am a huge fan of yoga, and it can be so relaxing for me.  I'm not sure why I gave up on it so quickly.  Maybe I'll start visiting this board more often so I can remind myself that taking a break, for my health and sanity, is completely worth the time.  My pups wake me up at 7am, so, maybe I'll start using that time for yoga in the morning.  I'll write it down somewhere out in the open so I actually do it :-)

On July 30th, my real life starts again :-) (technically, July 29th, at about noon, but I'm pretty sure I'll be too exhausted to truly enjoy it!)

veritasatori : I'm taking the bar in Ohio, and I'm taking Barbri.  Where are you taking it?  Which program are you using?

Andria
  • I'm taking the Minnesota bar, and I'm doing barbri also.  We have a full-length, real-conditions practice exam scheduled for tomorrow and Friday -- I hope it inspires me to put in more study time and less time on the knot!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • First off- good luck to everyone on the bar! I have a lot of friends studying for it and they're 100% stressed out.
    My best advice is to get out for some kind of exercise at least once a day. Even a 15/20 minute walk or run would help alleviate some stress. When you're on your run you could try to talk yourself through a case or just block it all out.
    Also, every time I reach for a bad food, I think what is this going to do for me? Is it actually going to help my stress. I also keep a lot of small fruit in my apartment to snack on, so blueberries/cherries right now. I figure if I eat a half a pint of blueberries it's a lot better than a half a pint of ice cream.

August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • well  i have about 0 experience with the bar exam, but ditto the previous poster who mentioned that eating better will help your state of mind as well as act as brain food. i know that when things get crazy it's easier to eat something out of a package in lieu of cooking something healthy, so i would recommend keeping your fridge and cabinets "clean" so you can eat clean during this time. also - if you're depriving yourself of sleep, there goes your will power (and of course, when we're tired, we crave sweets and carbs). consider this the time not only to not let your health be put on the back burner, but instead make this the time where your health is a key priority. schedule yourself some time to work out in order to relax and unwind, and keep healthy foods around to much on when you're stressed out and short on time and energy - and don't skip a decent night's sleep. everything will work out - and best of luck on the test! :]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First congrats on graduating law school and I'm sure you'll nail the bar! I have several friends who have taken it and fully understand what you're going through. Take a deep breathe and refocus! Your wedding is next girl! Forget about it for now. That's just going to add more stress that you don't need. As for the hear and now, when we're under high stress (and I'm guessing you're sleep deprived) your body wants carbs because they're easy to process and its the only fuel your brain needs. So toss the junk in your home or where ever you study. Stock up on fruits and veggies and when a craving hits reach for apples with almond butter or cucumber with hummus. Your body will process it better without spiking your blood sugar and furthering this roller coaster that your on. Take a break from studying and hit your local farmers market (or supermarket) and stock up on the berries and stone fruit that are in season. Considering that the stress isn't going away for a while, the best you can do is manage it. Then after the bar, celebrate by treating yourself to a dance class or personal training to get you back on the fitness wagon.

Good luck with the bar and your upcoming wedding!
  • I am not in law school or anything but I remember just being in my undergrad and all the studying that school alone takes.. that all my free time would be towards studying.. I would never ever have time to work out, esp if I had a big test coming up.. I took the GRE so I kinda have an idea of how much studying it takes for a big test.  From my experience, I would say just focus on the test for now.. Losing weight is not something you can just jump into quickly like that.. it takes time and patience.. Maybe just focus on eating better for now and then start a fitness routine after the test… you can focus on what you are eating in the morning.. try a whole grain based organic cereal with blueberries and skim milk.. its simple enough..  Pick healthier items off of menus if you do go out.. Maybe you can start up some walking for now like others suggested.. but more than that might get in the way of your studying because you will be studying enough and you still want time to relax.. you won’t want to be working out and studying and having no time at all to relax.. you need to relax.. from all that studying your mind needs it.. but you can still take walks and all.. but for now, I think your best bet is to take a look at your diet and just make healthier choices.. you can’t change your entire diet over night but gradually make better choices here and there and eventually you will work up to eating everything healthy..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I gotta say, I never thought so many people would be so kind as to help calm my feelings and give me tips.  It is great, and very helpful.  We do have some healthy snacks here, but I've never been a big veggie or fruit person, so I am trying little by little to incorporate those into my diet. 

You guys were also right, that working out can be helpful.  I did a short yoga workout last night before bed, and did one today, and I feel a lot more, in charge of myself.  And, I think over the long haul it will help me manage my stress and sleep better (i sometimes can't go to sleep because I keep thinking of my Bar to-do list).  It may also help to know there are so many ladies here that are wishing the best for me and truly helping my feelings.  I think I am going to attempt to work out, but if I don't, I'm not going to beat myself up (and...I'll buy new jeans so I don't feel so bad when I have non-sweats on). 

veritasatori : Hope you did well on your test.  We did ours yesterday.  I don't think it was toooo bad.  Everyone keeps saying to remember that we aren't supposed to be prepared to take the bar now, our study plan is to be prepared in about a month! 

Andria
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards