Attire & Accessories Forum

Soldering Rings... when do I do it??

Hey everyone!
I was thinking about possibly soldering my engagement ring to my band before the wedding to avoid the trouble of having to give up my rings for over a week after the ceremony. When is the right time to solder my two rings? Should I wait to do it after the ceremony? What are you guys doing?

Thanks!! Laughing
-Anna

Re: Soldering Rings... when do I do it??

• I didn't solder my rings together, but a lot of ladies that I know did and they typically did it the week before the wedding, depending on how long the jeweler needs the rings for.
  • Ditto pp. I did not want my saudered together in case I want to wear just the band sometimes. I would ask your jeweler how long it will take and go from there. You can always get a cheap fake e-ring if you want during the time bc I know a lot of girls feel naked without their e-ring.
  • I did mine after the wedding.
  • I have two bands, so I'm having one done before and one after, that way's there's only one band to put on my ring when I get married. It's up to you, but you can't do separate ering/ wedding band on the wedding day if you do it before hand. If you do decide to do it, have it done, ask your jeweler how long it will take, and add one week for cushion-- but are you going to wear it with your wedding band before you get married?
    Sarah Kropf Wedding Countdown Ticker 98image 12image 4image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_soldering-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c9ced58e-9fbf-44ff-9086-b47881e39adbPost:27774099-5ae0-4fe2-9a90-59da6626229c">Re: Soldering Rings... when do I do it??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had never heard of soldering the rings together before TK.  Why do people do this?
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

<div>From what I've heard, people do it to avoid the rings rubbing together. I don't think I would ever do it, I don't see the point.</div>
  • I have a curved wedding band, and they will be soldered together the week before.  The stones in each band don't line up otherwise.  If I can drop if off in the morning, the jeweler can do it in one day.  If not, I can drop it off for a few days.  One of the benefits of going with a custom ring from and independent jeweler.

That being said, I did solder my first set from my last marriage, but not the set he gave me on our 15th anniversay.  The stone was simply too big to wear all the time (I went from a quarter carat to one and a third and I'm a nurse--didn't want to scratch patients with it)
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • I don't think I'm going to solder my rings.  However if I did, I would do it AFTER the wedding.  What's the point of doing it before?  If you do you either wear your wedding band before the wedding (which is just not right IMO) or you don't wear your e-ring (which I would hate to go without!).  Plus, I don't want J putting both my wedding band and my e-ring on during the ceremony.  Everyone doing it before the wedding, why can't it wait until after?
    Anniversary
  • For those of you who are not soldering you wedding band to your e-ring before the wedding or at all, do you plan on wearing your e-ring on the wedding day? On your right or left hand? If on your left hand, are you going to take it off just before he puts on the weddiing band (so that the band is "closer to your heart" as the saying goes?) and then put the e-ring on? This is something I'm really torn on and for some reason I just can't come to a decision!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be getting mine soldered together because my band can not be worn without the engagement ring. My band had a notch in it so it sits flush with my e-ring. Since I can not wear the band by itself I do not see a reason not to get it done. I am not sure when I will do it though.
  • Like PP, my e-ring cant be worn without it either. i think i will get it sodered after the wedding, maybe a few weeks after. Even if i had the choice to not solder i would..jus personal opinion.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had originally wanted to get mine soldered but have decided not to.  I like having the option of only wearing the band if needed.  Although I have played softball and volleyball wearing both, so I guess it doesn't matter.

My MOH wore my e-ring on her hand during the ceremony.  I would have worn it on my right hand but I had an heirloom ring that I wore on my right hand and didn't want both.  After we exchanged rings she handed it back to me to slip on.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the advice!! The wedding band doesn't look right without the 3-ring. I'm thinking I will get them soldered before the wedding and then just not wear it until the ceremony. I don't think I want to give up my rings after the wedding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards