Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Beginning Planning! Questions to ask venues...

Hi Ladies!
This is my first post so please forgive any faux pas!
My fiance and I are just beginning planning and looking at venues in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for roughly 200-250 guests. I've done a ton of research about what is included in site fees, time allocated to each reservation, etc., but my question is this...
Is there any one thing you would have/should have asked that you thought of after the tour? (Aside from the music/alcohol restrictions, outside caterer, tables/chairs/linens rentals and decorations questions.)

Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting lots of advice from people further into the planning process!!
Jessica

Re: Beginning Planning! Questions to ask venues...

• jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!

I'm still in the beginning stages of planning but I just have to rave about the Profile Event Center! It's a beautiful place and Heather is amazing. The website has a big FAQ section and answers a lot of things I didn't think of. I'd recommend checking that out even if you don't want to go with them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome!

Make sure that you know everything about what they are charging you for. This might be more for caterers, but if your venue is an all-inclusive type place this might apply. A lot of times you will be given $/plate, but that doesn't always include extra fees for staff. Make sure you know about any added on fees and get things itemized completely before signing. 

Also make sure that if they are doing your food that they are willing to work with your budget. We were ready to sign with a place on the assumption that they would work with what we could afford, but they were not very upfront about the fact that while they didn't have set minimums, they were not willing to go as low as we wanted for food and they refused to itemize for us what our menu items would end up costing. If places are not willing to even give you straight numbers, avoid them.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

Thank you ladies!
    I'll have to check out the Profile event center, but I do know we're looking for a lot of character in the building and the room. i.e. exposed brick and wood beams.

Itemized bills are a perfect way to say...I want to know everything my dollars and cents are going toward. That's a great tip! Thank you!!

• edited December 2011
    The Day Block Building in MPLS had a very nice space with character!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards