New York-Long Island

Guest List- how many invitees typically decline?

I'm just full of questions these days! Must be the wedding crack, lol.

So my question for you future and past brides: On average, how many guests decline their invitation? 

The reason I'm asking is because I'm caught in a battle between my family (HUGE loud italian family), my inlaws, and my fiancee regarding who we should invite. My total master list is 290. My parents have generously offered to pay for the reception for 200 guests. That means anything above that is our financial responsibility. 

Out of the 290:
40 live out of state (my fiancee's family whom I've never even met after 7 years!) FML
20 live out of country
20 won't come, and are being sent invitations of obligation (distant relatives, economic situationsetc.)

Therefore, my gut feeling is to invite the whole 290 to prevent a war over what guests to cut and on who's side of the family, given that I shouldn't end up with too many extra guests anyway. I feel like my extra guests will be anywhere from 220-240. Which we can afford.

Thoughts??? Is this a dangerous financial move. 

Re: Guest List- how many invitees typically decline?

• jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment
    I have heard of about 25-30% not coming. My invitations are currenlty in the mail so I can't say if it's true or not, lol.
  • I agree, "they" usually say to expect 20-30% to decline. But I can't tell from experience just yet.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • you need to assume that all invited will come. anything else is setting yourself up for disaster.

• What would you brides do? Invite the 290 with the 20-30% won't come assumption. Given the data I provided. What are the chances that 290 people from different countries and states will all be available on one day? Lol
  • ok then do it your way. why ask int he first place then LOL :)
    i dont know what the chances are that they'd all show up-which is the whole point of assuming that all invited will come so taht you dont have a huge overage issue on your hands.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_guest-list-how-many-invitees-typically-decline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:120Discussion:8c3b7d1e-4ee2-4183-8c1f-28f6b39af23bPost:404a8e03-f52a-40bc-853e-efa9518b168d">Re: Guest List- how many invitees typically decline?</a>:
    [QUOTE]you need to assume that all invited will come. anything else is setting yourself up for disaster.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

100% AGREE!!!

you are totally setting yourself up otherwise
    Oct. 2012 Siggy E-Rings Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards