Attire & Accessories Forum

Help finding a similar ring

Hey ladies, I came accross a ring that I really love. The price is slightly over what I wanted to spend, so just curoious if anyone knows where I might be able to find a ring similiar to this:

http://www.bijouxprives.com/en/alliance-or-blanc-rhodie-noir-et-diamants.html

Thanks!

Re: Help finding a similar ring

• That is really cool and unique!

http://www.amazon.com/White-Gold-Black-Rhodium-Diamond/dp/B00126FHKO

This is the closest I could find. The black rhodium will need to be touched up often, so keep that in mind.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited April 2011
    I wouldn't recommend it. it's probably rhodium plated. wherever it wears off, the metal underneath will show through. you would have to get it re-plated all the time, esp if you wore it next to another ring.

I'm positive it's only plated. if it was solid rhodium, it would be verrrrry expensive. rhodium costs more than platinum.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_finding-similiar-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:cf38bc24-3981-415f-8bbc-45eabe5d13d3Post:b8ee008c-f671-4664-b012-444f06e41c93">Re: Help finding a similar ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't recommend it. it's probably rhodium plated. wherever it wears off, the metal underneath will show through. you would have to get it re-plated all the time, esp if you wore it next to another ring. I'm positive it's only plated. if it was solid rhodium, it would be verrrrry expensive. rhodium costs more than platinum.
    Posted by betty+draper[/QUOTE]

Doesn't it say it's white gold with rhodium plating?  A lot of rings are rhodium plated to make them more shiny.  The frequency with which you need to get rings replated depends on body chemistry and what you do on a daily basis (or so I was told by my jeweler). 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_finding-similiar-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:cf38bc24-3981-415f-8bbc-45eabe5d13d3Post:1ed553cf-f924-456d-86ed-9a534407a546">Re: Help finding a similar ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help finding a similar ring : Doesn't it say it's white gold with rhodium plating?  A lot of rings are rhodium plated to make them more shiny.  The frequency with which you need to get rings replated depends on body chemistry and what you do on a daily basis (or so I was told by my jeweler). 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

I just read that all white gold rings are commonly rhodium plated. Idk, I will definitely have to make sure to research it before purchasing. If it's a matter of replating every several years or so, not that huge of a dealbreaker.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_finding-similiar-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:cf38bc24-3981-415f-8bbc-45eabe5d13d3Post:ec94a917-91d7-45e1-a038-9e65f4372476">Re: Help finding a similar ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help finding a similar ring : I just read that all white gold rings are commonly rhodium plated. Idk, I will definitely have to make sure to research it before purchasing. If it's a matter of replating every several years or so, not that huge of a dealbreaker.
    Posted by Queen Jane[/QUOTE]

Also keep in mind you would need to get it replated after having it resized, if that was an issue.  My ring is yellow gold that's rhodium plated to be silver in color.  We really liked a particular antique ring, but I don't like wearing yellow gold all the time, so we got it plated.  It definitely wasn't a deal breaker for me.  If your ring is white gold underneath, it will look a little less shiny as the rhodium wears off, but I don't think it will be as noticeable as it will be on my ring when yellow gold starts to show through. 
  • This ring is actually BLACK rhodium... which I'm not sure (now that I think about it) that all jewelers are capable of replating this. It will wear off to be a yellowish color. My e-ring is already yellowing and I've only had it for 4.5 months. My jeweler will replate for free, but if you don't buy your ring from a local jeweler you won't get free replating (it can be expensive at $40 or more a pop) and like I said before, I'm not sure black rhodium is carried everywhere.
  • Titanium and tungsten are similarly colored metals, they're cheaper, and they aren't plated since they're naturally a dark color.
  • edited April 2011
    breaness has summed it up for me---

black rhodium will be a much darker color than the white gold underneath. so wherever it wears off, you will see a light colored spot. and trust me, it will happen quickly on a ring. my cousin had her yellow gold ring plated with white rhodium, and it's very noticeable when it wears off. it only takes a few months. or faster if she accidentally scratches it.

what is more common is to have white gold plated with white rhodium. white on white. so when it wears off, it's barely noticeable. it has to practically wear all the way off, all over the ring before you notice that it's gone.

I agree that titanium and tungsten might be the way to go. however, make sure the metal is a dark color all the way through. it can be plated sometimes-- titanium is actually white, there is some kind of process that makes it turn different colors. I have some titanium things that are only color on the surface, if you get a deep scratch, the white titanium underneath will show through.

good luck! I also love black rhodium. but I tend to only buy it as necklaces and earrings, which are less prone to damage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards