Rhode Island

Gluten-Free Bakery?

One of my BM and another close friend both have Celiac's. I want to get 2-4 cupcakes (in case there are others I'm unaware of) especially for them aside from our wedding cake so they feel like they're part of that aspect of the celebration. I know these girls really really well and am sure they don't feel it's expected, but I hope it will be a nice treat and surprise for them.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good gluten-free bakery? Especially one in South County?

And yes, I'm making sure ALL allergies are taken into consideration with regard to the dinner choices. TIA!

Re: Gluten-Free Bakery?

• Eva Ruth In Middletown. I Know They Have Yummy Muffins. They Have A Website.
  • I believe Sin in Providence has some gluten free offerings
  • Second Eva Ruth's It is a gluten free specialty bakery.  I have ordered Vegan Gluten Free Brownies and Cookies from them.
  • Gracie's new bakery, Ellie's has some sweet offerings of gluten free desserts. Just posted a few on their FB page. They are located in Providence though. https://www.facebook.com/ElliesBakery?fref=ts

• My sister has Celiac and has tried lots of places. She really likes WildFlour in Pawtucket. You might want to check with the people who are GF, they probably have a preference. I have found GF food has certain tastes and often textures that are different from regular baked goods and it seems to be sort of a matter of personal preference.
  • Thanks for the input, everyone!

And just FYI to Jenny- I appreciate the thought and would definitely be doing that, but both girls are from out of state, so they don't know any local places. I have asked another family friend for area suggestions, but sadly going to the source won't work this time though. Thanks again though!
  • FI's daughter can not eat Gluten. So I have had the Cup Cakes form WildFlour. They are good, and as I had said before, I have gotten her Brownies from Eva Ruths. She really liked the Brownies. She is also a Vegan so that is what I was able to get by mail order but I will probably get a cake or cup cakes from Eva Ruths for her for our wedding. We will have 3 guests who can not eat Gluten. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
  • I have celiac disease as well. Im not a huge wildflour fan, I think they can be a bit dry and they don't have a dedicated GF area. A&J Bakery in Cranston is really great, they have a dedicated area and are VERY careful. They have TONS of GF options, including cupcakes. My to-be mother-in-law also has celiac and has been GF for over 20 years and she is always really impressed when they come to visit. We are getting our wedding cake from them. www.aandjbakery.net

I also like the Sin bakery cupcakes, but I believe you have tp special order.

Duck and bunny on Wikenden street in Providence has one GF cupcakes, its a bit less traditional but very yummy.

Im not sure of any places in South County, my parents live there and I have not foudn a great option yet.

• I just thought of one more option, you might try Sweet Cakes in Peace Dale. They have amazing baked goods and I am pretty sure they will do special GF orders. I think I have had a GF cake from there, but it was a while back and I think it was a flourless chocolate cake not cupcakes. Also they are really nice and if they can't do it might suggest someone else more local.
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_gluten-free-bakery?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:7adadbc0-937f-4f00-a661-f9082b9b0c16Post:6d866b30-7dd7-41c1-be7d-5d49237b63ed">Re: Gluten-Free Bakery?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have celiac disease as well. Im not a huge wildflour fan, I think they can be a bit dry and they don't have a dedicated GF area. A&J Bakery in Cranston is really great, they have a dedicated area and are VERY careful. They have TONS of GF options, including cupcakes. My to-be mother-in-law also has celiac and has been GF for over 20 years and she is always really impressed when they come to visit. We are getting our wedding cake from them. <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.aandj">www.aandj</a> bakery .net I also like the Sin bakery cupcakes, but I believe you have tp special order. Duck and bunny on Wikenden street in Providence has one GF cupcakes, its a bit less traditional but very yummy. Im not sure of any places in South County, my parents live there and I have not foudn a great option yet.
    Posted by msreposa[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I couldn't agree with you more about Wildflour. My sister has Celiac disease and for her birthday last year I got her cupcakes from them thinking it was good idea. She later told me she threw them out because the cupcakes were really bad. I had tasted one of the cupcakes myself and just assumed gluten free cupcakes were just not nearly as rich or tasty as regular cupcakes. Well I asked her where she thought they make the best gluten free cupcakes and she highly recommends Sin Bakery and A& J bakery. 

</div>
  • Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

Also, I just wanted to say I've had GREAT luck working with www.gfreely.com. They deliver new and unique TRUSTED g-free foods on a monthly basis. You can sign up for a subscription, and they also have one-time "gift" packages. I've ordered from them a few times as gifts for friends, and I think it would be really great especially for people who are beginning a g-free diet, so they can learn about foods they like/don't like without having to worry about the nutritional content/buying bulk of things they don't like. Trust me, I don't work for them or anything, I just thought I'd share since there seems to be a few people on this thread who have or know others with Celiac. That's all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards