Florida-North Florida

Wdding in Gainesville

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Central Florida board or this one... so i'm doing both. :P

A friend of mine is getting married inthe Gainesvile area and needs a venue. She looked at teh PAramount Plaza and hated it... and she loved the Kanapaha Gardens but it's too small (aroudn 200 people). Any suggestions?

Re: Wdding in Gainesville

• edited December 2011
    There have been several girls on here that used the Sweetwater Branch Inn.  It looks beautiful.  I'm not sure of the accomadation size.  I'm located in Jacksonville. 

Jackie
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Photobucket
    My Start to a Planning Bio
    213 Invited 145 yes and 68 no RSVP Date April 15
  • edited December 2011
    Look at The Thomas Center. I looked at Paramount and some others, but my favorite of all was The Thomas Center. <3 It's also "The Knot" recommended and made the front page of The Independent Florida Alligator.

Depending on budget, she should also look out in Haile Plantation. There's a couple of venues out there that are beautiful, but they're a little more on the expensive side.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh! Also, as far as a ceremony is concerned, she should definitely look at The Baughman Center. It's located right on Lake Alice. Gorgeous Gorgeous Place!
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at Sweetwater but I think 200 pp would be too much for that place. You should call and see just in case because they have really good prices and you can bring your own alcohol.  I also suggest the Thomas Center.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thomas Center max is nowhere near 200, neither is Haile Village Center.  There just aren't many venues in Gainesville that can accommodate those numbers.  Check out some of the country clubs or Emerson Alumni Center.
  • Caraline SCaraline S member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought Sweetwater said they could accommodate 200 but I would double check.  Person above me is right, Thomas Center (where I'm having mine) holds about 120.  Baughman Center while beautiful holds only 90 I think.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, i looked at the Baughman center and while it is very pretty with all the windows, it's very small and you can't hang anything to decorate and you can not bring in any musical equipment. I really didn't like Paramont either, they are due for a remodel. The Thomas Center is pretty but you have to get seperate venders for everything. Haile is also nice, but we decided on Sweetwater because they take care of most of the details (food, linens, tables, etc) and you can have the ceremony and reception in the same place. Hope that helps!
    Me: 33 DH: 36 History of left ovarian pain and cysts. Laporoscopy in 1999 and 2001 showed possible cysts and minor adhesions. TTC since May 2011. Day 3: TSH 1.60mIU/L FSH 6.8mIU/mL Estradiol 46 pg/mL Day 10: FSH 5.3mIU/mL Sperm motility and morph 80% (Normal). HSG on 3/23/12 shows bilateral mid-tubal obstructions. Laparoscopy 5/22/12 revealed 100% bilateral obstruction, IVF only option to conceive.
  • edited December 2011
    Sweetwater and the Thomas Center will be too small, and Haile will be as well unless she wants an outdoor reception.

Places that would hold that amount (reception-wise anyway, as I'm having my ceremony at my church) would be Emerson Alumni Hall, Reitz Union, Hilton, and Villa East.  There may be others, but that is what I know of.
    Married February 26th, 2011 TTC #1 since May 2011
  • Caraline SCaraline S member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely forgot about churches (terrible person heh).  My church in Gainesville if First Presbyterian located downtown, I believe they allow non-members to get married there, although you would have to go through counseling with the minister.  I know that church can hold 200 people though.  Hope that helps.

Also I was just at a wedding at the Gainesville Golf and Country Club, it was outdoors and I'm not sure how many people, but I would imagine you could do 200 there, also outdoors has a beautiful view of the prairie.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards