May 2013 Weddings

Cake Question

So I am at the beginning of May (May 4th) and we have yet to order/do a tasting for our cake.  Is this something I should work on ASAP or do I have a little time?  My location is 3hrs away from my house so its hard to get down there, especially since FI's and mines schedules are so different/off. 

I am headed there this weekend do you think I would be able to stop by the Bakery we are thinking about using and just get samples and take them home for us to try? Should I even ask? lol I have no clue about this stuff.

TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Wedding Countdown Ticker
My Pregnancy, Wedding, Home DIY blog!
Dating: 7.1.2008 Engaged: 11.25.11 Austin: 07.21.12 Wedding: 5.4.2013

Re: Cake Question

• I would go ahead and make sure the bakery is available to make your wedding cake for your day.  The one we wanted to use originally was booked over a year in advance.  We did our cake tasting in July, and you tend to have to make an appointment for that.  I'd go ahead and look into it if I were you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • edited January 2013
    I know where I live, many of the cake bakers will only do a small number of weddings on a given day (which is recommended.  You don't want a baker who is cranking out dozens of wedding cakes on your day IMO) so I had to book months ago.  If it were me, I'd do it ASAP.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, it sounds like maybe you already have put down a deposit for your bakery, but just not chosen a flavor?  If so, I think you still have time to figure that out. 
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    Could you clarify? Is your baker already booked and you just have to decide on a design and flavors or do you still have to book someone?

ETA: If you already have a place booked, I think you're ok with doing the tasting and deciding on flavors and the design. We just went last night and we can change anything we want up until the day before the wedding. 

If you still need to book a baker, I would do that ASAP. 

• Crap, I havent even booked a place. My wedding planner gave us the name of a place who has done weddings for him before but I havent looked into it any further.  I will be doing that today!

Thanks ladies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Pregnancy, Wedding, Home DIY blog!
    Dating: 7.1.2008 Engaged: 11.25.11 Austin: 07.21.12 Wedding: 5.4.2013
  • I would book your cake baker ASAP. One of the PP's said some places may have a limit on how many they do per weekend or something. Ours only does 3 per day so I'm glad we reserved when we did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in your position, May 4th wedding, and the only thing I have left to do is pick the cake and bakery!! I'm going to try and do it in the next couple of weeks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My Wedding is on May 3rd and I haven't booked my cake baker yet.
    I booked one consultation (for next wednesday)! It's the bakery that is preferred by my venue. When I contacted them, the lady didn't seem like I should be in a rush to get there but I did get the feeling they're busy.
    I talked to another bakery when I ordered a birthday cake for my niece and they told me I didn't have to schedule a meeting til about 2 months before the wedding.
    I think it all depends on your area and the bakeries.... probably wouldn't hurt to start making calls but I wouldn't stress about it either.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:Cake inspiration image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards