Washington-Seattle

Timing of Wedding & Reception Help

For some reason - I'm having the hardest time figuring out the timing of the ceremony and reception - or actually, the reception.  The ceremony is going to start at 5:00 and should last for an hour.  This is where I become a total moron.  What time do I reserve the reception site?  The reception site is probably, at most, ten to fifteen minutes away.  I want people to go straight from the ceremony to the reception.  Should i reserve it right at 6, 6:30, 7:00?  Does it even matter?  I guess one concern i have is that i don't want people waiting in the reception site lobby while the area is being set up - but i also don't want to pay for additional time go over in hours We gave everyone time....

Re: Timing of Wedding & Reception Help

• edited December 2011

If it were me, I would say 6. That way when people leave your ceremony at 6, they won't be waiting 10 to 15 minutes later when they arrive. They can go right in and get drinks. 6 gives the venue time to set up.

Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • MrsH8172010MrsH8172010 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Brandy I would say 6.
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on how much setup and decorations you're doing, and who's doing it.  I'd contact the caterer to see how much time they'll need to set up, and allow them whatever they need.  Also - do you have a DJ?  Are you bringing in speakers?  If so, consider that you'll need to get that up before ppl get there, as well. 

Plus, there's all the decorations like centerpieces, flowers, linens, etc.  If you're hiring someone to do this set up for you, I suppose they can do it during the ceremony (but check with them to see how much time they'll need).  If you're recruiting family/friends, allow them the time they'll need to do it beforehand, do a quick change, and get to the 5pm ceremony on time.

I've never been to a wedding where the reception site was being set up as I was waiting to enter.  I don't think I'd be happy if that happened - it seems like you're asking for trouble if you did this.  I have, on the other hand, helped set up many a reception site before the ceremony, and it's worked out just fine.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with carrie. Depending on how much setting up/decorating and when vendors need to show up, you will probably need to rent it atleast 2 hours before guests will be there. I think guests will probably be there by 630 if your ceremony goes almost accordingly and then people making their way from one place to the next. I say rent it at 4 ish.. depending on vendors.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • edited December 2011
    I would have the reception start at 6, have the venue at 4pm to allow time for set up.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have the reception start at 6:30 (since your ceremony is scheduled for 5, one hour brings you to 6, then people will prob mill around a bit & say congrats [or receiving line if you're doing one] and then head over to reception, which will take another 15 minutes according to your OP). But I would rent it starting at 4:30 so there is ample time for your vendors to set up.
  • Erica111Erica111 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitey 6:00.  It's worth it to pay for extra time so your guests don't have to wait for the set-up to be complete.  It would be akward for them to arrive and it wasn't ready.
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aaaah - i emailed the coordinator over at my reception venue - and we've got it worked out....for some reason, it's automatic for me to turn to to you guys first (which still works out great.)  Anyway, the coordinator has us booked at 6:00 so that right when people get there - everything will be ready.  And thankfully, they don't charge for set up time.  Sigh of relief.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards